“Nice Hotel but Lacking in Small Details” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel but Lacking in Small Details”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The Hotel is really nice and relaxed and is classed as a 4 star.

I arranged through the hotel for an anvil blessing ceremony, as a surprise for my wife to celebrate our ruby wedding .
The package they do normally covers for one night but I wanted to stay for 2 nights as check in is from 3.00pm , and as the blessing was at 3.30pm there is no time to prepare etc if we simply turned up on the day so turned up the day before.
I up-graded our stay to a Luxury Balcony Room which was very comfortable.
The bathroom was beginning to look and feel a little tired but was still OK.
The bar area was pleasant enough with good service from the staff, with in particular mention to who we thought was the bar manager who was very good with us and helpful through-out our stay.
Food in the restaurant on the Sunday evening was very good, my wife and I both had different steaks and the were cooked just right and were full of flavour.
Additionally the buffet breakfast in the morning had plenty of choice, with the bacon & sausage being & was also tasty
All in all a good hotel and a good stay.

Only down was little things like our room keys cancelled after the first day even though we were there for two.
I had to ask for the romantic beginnings package where they trim up your bedroom that I had booked as it had not been done on our arrival as envisaged.
Outside our room was a table that the housekeeping had put empty and part filled glasses bottles and plates on presumably to take away that remained there throughout the next day and were still there on our check out. Not nice to see !
Would I go again ...... Yes
Would I recommend ..... again Yes

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thanks Almegettun, a god review, I appreciate your feedback, both praise and criticisms alike.
I do hope that we'll get to see you back soon. Best regards Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

My partner and I stayed one night at The Smiths.
We were welcomed by a very smiley friendly receptionist.
Bar staff were fabulous and we never had an empty glass. Waitress's were confident and friendly.
We ate our evening meal in the bar and the meal was great. Breakfast was fresh and cooked well with lots of choice.
Our double room was clean and spacious.
Will defiantly be staying again.
Don't listen to bad reviews as the people who write these obviously had their eyes closed on their stay ha.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks H3pxx - what a great review - you clearly had your eyes open LOL and subsequently had a great stay. thanks again for the comments. Regards Darren
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

my daughter had her wedding here in july 2013, she had a which included a wedding meal and drinks for 20 people. it was faultless the staff couldn't do enough for us. the food was excellent, staff very very attentive could't do enough for her and her now husband. the room was decorated beautiful and everything was served on time and no hitches at all during the day. would definatley recommend this hotel for a wedding. the rooms were also comfortable and decorated lovely especially the bridal suite mmmmmmn all in all wonderful

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Good stuff Janice, im so glad that your daughters wedding went so well and that you aslo were happy with the hotel and service. Best regards Darren
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I thought this was an expensive hotel and the staff were quite snooty, I had been previously told this but I tried it out spent 2 nights there, felt uncomfortable and out of place. I fond the room was nice but on closer inspection the wallpaper was coming off and it was also dusty not really what I expected so very disappointed. Tbh I wouldn't recommend and I wouldn't visit again. Manager or assistant whatever she was, was also unhelpful and got a snotty tone when she didn't like what we were saying IMO unprofessional

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
lovetoreview, I'm sorry to read such comments and cant for the life of me think why anyone would be "snooty" with you and I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I understand fully that you wont be coming back, we clearly just weren't for you. Regards as always Darren
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the 1st Feb for our third wedding anniversary. We stayed in the rose suite. The first words from my wife were wow. The room is stunning. The bathroom is huge with his and her wash basins separate shower and bath. We had a wee cocktail on arrival as we booked the romantic beginnings package. The room also had sented candle lit on arrival and petals on the bed. The dinner in the lounge at night was amazing I had the steak pie and the wife chicken fajitas. Both were excellent. I couldnt fit in a pudding as portion was huge. The only thing I would have liked in the room was an iPod dock but that's nitpicking. I would defo recommend this hotel and hopefully will be back. We both didn't want to leave.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Lee, a fantastic review. You are welcome back here anytime you like. Best regards Darren
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We got married here yesterday and I must say that the previous review couldn't be further from the truth!The staff at this hotel couldn't be more helpful!
On booking our wedding we were supposed to get one of their suites but unfortunately they were all booked.... Instead we got the penthouse for no extra cost!!
The penthouse apartment was fab!! Stylish and amazing bathroom!!
On the eve of our wedding we wanted all our guests to have a meal together (20 altogether). We didn't expect this to be possible as we hadn't pre booked but the staff were very helpful and made this happen for us!
On the day of the wedding I got a personal phone call to let me know what would be happening and the groom met her to talk about the plans. Couldn't be more helpful? Even rang my room to tell me car had arrived and waiting.
On arrival for the wedding service we were greated by staff who asked and offered suggestions on how things should pan out.
My nephew (18month) was well catered for during the reception. They asked what he would like and even chilled the food so it wasn't too hot for him, this was without asking...brilliant!
Food was to die for and not one fault with any of it!
Slav and his team were fantastic and are a credit to this hotel!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and sure all my guests would as well.
We plan on coming back for our first anniversary and already looking forward to it!
Thank you so much for an amazing day from start to finish!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Mickey and Vicky, what kind words. I agree the last review is horrendous isn't it, absolutely awful...some people hey! Anyway, im so very glad that you had a great time, Slav and his team will be delighted with the mention. I truly look forward to your next visit, whenever that may be. All the very best for now, Darren
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I got married on the 24th January at the Old Blacksmith’s and had 10 rooms for two nights including the Rose room.
I would like to start by discussing the ‘Rose Suite’, on the telephone I had been told it was recently renovated. To me it just looked tired, there were marks on the carpet and the four posted bed had paint chips missing. The bathroom was hidden in a cupboard which I was not impressed about when I was desperate to pass urine. The bathroom doors did not closed easily from the inside as they did not have a handle, just because I married my husband it does not mean I want him to watch me open my bowels! The bed left a lot to be desired, I would have been more comfortable sleeping on the couch as the mattress was hard and the quilt rustled loudly (simply irritating when you are sharing with your 17 month old). The room had a fancy coffee machine (in my little boys reach), kettle, tea caddy full of various teas/coffees/hot chocolate and six cups and sauces. Unfortunately there was no spoon but luckily for me I had a weaning spoon. The shape of the bath was stupid and made it difficult for me to lie on my front to soak my armpits ready for shaving. When I wanted the shower head only to work I wound up getting soggy from the overhead shower, some instructions would have been useful. On the balcony were other fun things that attracted my infant’s attention including a box of screws, exposed electrical wires and sharp edges from the lights that were possibly being installed. I know this room is not designed to be child friendly but I feel it lacks common sense to have dangerous items so low down.
In the restaurant I was surprised to find no dishes specifically catered to the appetites of children, my 7 year old nephew got a fish finger sandwich with eight fish fingers! The food was expensive but nice. However some of my guests complained they had ordered some cocktails on an offer but because they did not order two of the same it was not honoured. When I requested a high chair it did not have all the components required to strap my child in so he managed to get himself onto all fours on the food trey! I asked for another highchair and this one had a nice cut in the plastic which meant my infant had fun pulling stuffing out and trying to decide if it should go in his mouth. At breakfast time it was not uncommon to see dirty tables left for over half an hour and getting additional cutlery proved problematic again.
I have only ever stayed in cheaper hotel chains so I was extremely shocked when I was asked for £50 from my card. Another guest explained it is not actually taken from my account unless needed. Reception staff did not explain this correctly to any of my guests and my in-laws were subsequently too scared to drink the tea and coffee in case their card got charged. I wish I had been informed of this prior to arriving at the hotel so I could explain it to be people. This started my visit on the wrong foot because we arrived the day before my January pay day and I did not have £50. The reception staff irritated me further when I asked them for a travel cot on the first and asked “how long will it take” I was told they were doing it now. I did offer to take the cot up so I could have it in the room as I needed it but this was declined by reception staff. An hour later my 17 month old was asleep on the bed so I cancelled it. The next night I knew I really wanted the cot bed, it took four hours and three requests to get it, with the most frustrating thing being told it was coming now.
Meeting the wedding planner left an awful lot to be desired. She read out very basic information and did not wait to talk to the groom. She also did not warn me that I would be receiving a phone call 15 minutes before the wedding to ensure I would be on my way. As it happened I was on time and the Old Blacksmith’s shop was five minutes’ walk away, in heels. I wish she could have said useful information like “Your photographers name is …” I would have also liked it if she had told me what my main meal was going to be as it will always be remember as rice with mystery veg.
The main reason I am so upset is because of the wedding reception. I had no idea where I was meant to be going as the wedding planner didn’t see fit to physically show me where it was. I saw two other brides in the lobby. When the main meals came out I was presented with chicken, I do not eat meat. I had booked two vegetarian meals and they did come out but it is part of the wedding experience having your meals first. The bride in the room next door had a band, and her band was set up next to the wall of our room, so in addition to our music we also got the base from next door. It was so loud we turned our music off in the end. We were offered the room next door, so I went to check it out. I discovered this room was almost as noisy as they shared bar space. So I opted not to switch. But why should I have to swap rooms on my wedding day? Surely a member of staff should have simply said “you cannot set your band up there because we have another wedding next door”. The wedding I am discussing had a hog roast in the lobby and the smell was extremely strong. As mentioned before I do not eat meat, somebody else’s hog roast is NOT what I want to smell or see on my wedding day! I complained about the noise to a member of staff stating it is not good enough the music was so loud and I shouldn’t be expected to move rooms on my wedding day, she was very apologetic but did not do anything and did not escalate the matter further.
One of my guests sustained a head injury and needed to go to hospital. Reception were helpful phoning 999 and giving me the correct address. I was told I needed to fill out an incident form, not asked if I could. An incident form did not arrive to be completed. The look of disgust I got when I asked for a sick bucked was actually quite comical (side effects of large volumes of alcohol- every unit sold by the hotel and head injuries is often vomiting). Some drunken idiot from the loud wedding kept pestering us, big fun. Back in the hotel room I wanted to plug my mobile phone in close to the bed as the member of my wedding party was admitted to hospital, there is not a plug close to the bed.
The noise in the hotel was generally unacceptable, the people in the room above us kept running up and down the stairs on the first night. On the second night there were children playing ‘knock a door run’. Why do members of staff not think it is within their role to approach other guests and tell them to make less noise? I did not book an 18-30 holiday and so I do not think I should simply have to accept it as a fact. The staff may have been a bit laxadaisy on my wedding day, they did however have the chance to make four Facebook statuses that day.
Finally onto Spoilt at Smith’s or as I will now be calling it, Spoilt by Smith’s. The file and polish was poor, the nails were not filed into a shape of any kind and the one coat of nail polish was different colours on different nails and there was some gloopy clump on one nail. My hair was bad, I wish I had said something at the time because it looked bad on the day and worse in pictures. I am specifically saying I do not like the method of hair curling using hair straighteners.
There were many nice things like two working televisions, two bottles of champagne and a cute teddy bear. Ultimately I would have sooner had somebody to advocate for my wedding instead of having a “what will be will be” attitude to the weddings. I know that Smith’s probably have over a thousand weddings a year but that was my ‘special’ day and I will not be getting another. I am very upset and though some of these things may seem minor I spent a lot of money and expected more. I would like to add that this review was not written maliciously, I am really upset about my wedding.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Sophie E
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Ok folks , I'm not even going to apologise for my response here as fortunately you can all read how absolutely ridiculous this review is. - how on earth can you complain about the wedding planner courteously phoning you 15 minutes before to check on you!!. The rest really is laughable as I'm sure you've all already figured for yourselves. The bathroom hidden in a cupboard?, bath the wrong shape? 8 Fish Fingers in a sandwich!! Shocked that a pre-authorisation was asked for on check in (what hotel doesn't?), mystery veg?, passing urine and emptying bowels? I mean come on. For those of you panicked by this review, do go on the website and have a good look at the Rose or indeed the pictures on Facebook - its far from tired, its in fact just been refurbished, the mattress is brand new and probably far more comfortable than the couch. I have to say this is probably the most inappropriate review we have ever had here at the hotel (and you do get a few dodgy ones on this site) and has caused quite a stir around the departments today. Im sure you will all take it for what it is. Regards Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!