“Gretna Green Romantic destination”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed October 1, 2013

For years I have read romantic and historical novels about Gretna Green in Dumfries and Galloway and dreamed of visiting. Who hasn’t heard of eloping couples fleeing from all corners to arrive in Gretna Green to be legally married by the “Blacksmith Priest”?
Last weekend we drove down to do some historical research and booked in to the stunning Smith’s Boutique Hotel, a stone’s throw from the original Blacksmith’s shop and the very modern visitors' centre. We loved every minute, from the welcome by the friendly young receptionist, to the sad moment of our departure. Our room was large and luxurious, with a bathroom complete with bath and shower and, very important for me, the easiest internet connection I have ever experienced in a hotel. Since we were combining research with my husband’s birthday, we enjoyed an absolutely delightful dinner in the dining room. Everything was delicious and the service perfect and, my goodness, what an incredible sticky toffee pudding. That alone would call me back but then there was breakfast. It was all superb. My husband enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast. The highlights for me were the home-baked breads and the fresh raspberries and brambles. We saw lots of fat brambles as we walked the country roads around this perfect little spot. Frankly we can’t wait to return - couldn’t find Robert the Bruce’s cave and have to remedy that.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlysAngus
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

AlysAngus, what a very well written review, looks like im going to have to dot my i's and cross my t's in response as opposed to my usual misspelt rambling efforts on here. Seriously, what a delight to have met you and to hear of your stay personally. I'm so glad that your husband enjoyed his birthday. I so much look forward to catching up again, should the proposed romantic authors gathering be succesful. All the very best for now. Regards Darren

There are newer reviews for Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am unsure whether this review maybe published yet, or fits within the forums guidelines but I felt I had to post my personal dealings with this hotel even though I haven't even arrived yet.
Myself and my partner of many years have decided to marry at the old blacksmiths shop, Gretna at the end of October.
There is only myself partner and our little boy attending and even though a relatively small booking for your hotel to manage, I have to say with the amount of calls I have made to your wedding team with questions and worries you would think I had made a booking for one hundred. Your teams service has been second to none. (I feel like giving a false name now when I ring just so I don't get a reputation before I arrive :-) ). But as no-one knows of our plans I have to talk to someone. :-)
Every call I have made has been answered promptly and guidance given to me confidently in relation to relevant forms and costings etc.
Because of your staffs kindness and professionalism I have no doubt that we have made the right decision in booking your hotel and I am counting down the sleeps like a child at Christmas..
For those that have been negative, nothing in this world is perfect and nothing ever will be. We are all individuals with differing needs and therefore no hotel could get it right for everyone. All they can do is their best.. And one mans orange juice. (as on one review) could be another mans champagne. All the best and I shall further review following our marriage.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jane T

Good to hear your plans are progressing well Jane and that the girls are looking after you. Bit surprised myself that your review got up to be honest, seeing as youve not yet stayed... you couldnt have been more honest about that fact either as its clear in your title. But hey, good to know that you are pleased with everything thus far. Look forward to seeing you when you do arrive, youve a big day ahead! regards Darren

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Perfect Atmosphere for our Perfect Day, honestly there were no negative points to a wonderful day, we were married quite a few years ago, third time for the both of us, we chose the perfect location for third time lucky, Smith's Hotel just made our honeymoon the icing on the cake no pun intended, we revisit every year each visit is super never forgetting the emotional time we had, it's yes our special place, does anyone even know they do tree planting to remember your special event our " Oak " tree will be there long after we aren't it's another lovely touch Smith's do, highly recommended " NO " if your getting married or just visiting it's " essential " to Chose Smith's & Gretna Green.

Room Tip: Top Floor for us, nothing but the best for any married couples you won't regret it enjoy the amb...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Arthur Y
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

What a delight it was reading your review Arthur Y, and for sharing the 2 photos with us all, really nice. Well you are always going to be welcome here at Smiths and Gretna Green - i might take a walk over to see the trees today actually, its a sort of transitional Summer/Autumn kind of day, bit of sun, some falling leaves and a little brisk. I think were going to have to keep an eye on that oak of yours as the years pass by, make sure its got enough room, itll be an absolute monster as the decades pass - amazing to think isnt it - you'll have future generations of your family coming here to just to climb it. Best regards Darren

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had our most beautiful wedding experience yesterday at The Blacksmiths shop and the Smiths hotel - I could not fault any part of it.

The hotel was amazing, food was fantastic (including breakfast) service was outstanding. We also had our hair and make up done in Spoilt, the staff were fabulous.

We stayed in the Bensmoor suites just across from the Blacksmiths, they were the perfect place to get ready before the wedding and spacious enough to let you relax - I'd highly recommend them.

Overall we had the most amazing wedding, I wouldn't change a thing and I can't thank all of the staff at Smiths enough.

Don't be put off by some of these other reviews, you can't please all of the people all of the time

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dawn M

Dawn. Great review thanks for putting it up so soon. It is so rewarding to hear that everything went so well. I have to say, the few challenging reviews we've had lately really got us questioning ourselves and indeed the actually integrity of this forum as a balanced review platform, but hey, everyone is entitled to make their thoughts known, especially if we've dropped the ball in any way, but we're all intelligent enough to sort the wheat from the chaff arent we. all the very best to you for married life, regards Darren

Myself and my husband and 27 guest checked into the hotel
On wed25th sept from the moment we checked we was looked after wedding planner came to explain everything for the next day given the large party
Size we all agreed to meet back in lounge later that Eveing to have a meal the staff in the bar arrange all tables so we all could sit together absolute fab food was fantastic ,on the wedding every detail was explain and went absolutely brilliant could not find fault with anything so a big thank you to all staff who made are day amazing
Also please give are compliments to the chef

• Stayed: September 2013

Many thanks for posting up your experience Kathryn, sounds like you had a great time. I Will most certainly pass your comments onto Chef, he'll be delighted with the mention. Best regards Darren

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked our wedding through the organisers at Smiths. The Blacksmiths Shop ceremony far exceeded our expectations, we know this is a very common wedding location but the registrar, photographer and piper made us feel extremely special.
Prior to the wedding the wedding planners at the hotel could not do enough, we selected different meals, drinks packages, brought our own decorations, had some ordered for delivery and they managed everything.
The food is excellent, we 'upgraded' to menu 3 and it was excellent. As we did not have a DJ or after meal entertainment the hotel set up a separate table for our laptop and speakers so we could play music. The service was great, food amazing, before-care was more than what I ever expected and for the price you pay this far exceeded our expectations .
If you have booked a wedding package here do not worry, you will not be disappointed. We are very happy and would not change anything.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsey M

Lindsay. Thank you for putting up this lovely review, absolutely made my day, the entire team will be so pleased knowing that everythng went so well for you. Best regards Darren

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Smiths hotel for one night after we arranged our wedding through them.

We checked in late, and the night porter was very helpful and sent us up to our room. At first glance the room looked pleasant enough, but after a while we began to notice a few little things.

The first issue we came across was that there was no pen in the bedroom which is problematic when they ask guests to fill out a form if they want breakfast sent up in the morning, and also to fill in the feedback form (which I did, and no one has ever contacted me about my comments). The night porter kindly brought one up for us after we called him.

Secondly, the room looked very dated and in need of a renovation. There was mould on the bathroom walls, cracks in the side and bottom of the bath, stains on the carpet and bed spread.

Finally the breakfast we received in the morning was possibly the worst I have ever had in any hotel. The portions were small, the sausage, beans and bacon were cold like they had been sat around for a while, and the croissants were hard. The only good thing about it was the large portion of butter that came with it! Charging £14 each for this, plus a £2 tray charge, is a joke.

Overall these issues might not have bothered me had I booked into a Travelodge at £30 a night, but for a 4* hotel at £140 a night these issues are unacceptable!

I have to say that all staff members were lovely and very polite, but the quality of the room and breakfast really put a damper on the end of our wedding weekend.

Room Tip: Avoid room number 4!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Jack. Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you dont think we are 4 star or indeed that the rate you paid was not justified. With respect however i must disagree with some of your comments or at least take them with a pinch of salt, so to speak. Im very dissapointed to hear of any guest staying with us who didnt enjoy their time here, but of coures im always going to defend myself with reality when someone so publicly states we are not 4 star, we clearly are, maybe not in your eyes, i understand that, but i really dont quite know what your concept of 4 star actually is, not that this really matters, you didnt enjoy your time here and therefore we have unfortunately let you down and again im sorry for this. Thanks for the review, it is appreciated and it will be shared. Regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!