“Great Dining Experience”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night in the main building next to the motorway. Our room was big, contemporary, well equipped and quiet. We found all the staff to be friendly and efficient.
We decided to eat in the restaurant as we'd read that it was very good, and it was! Beautifully presented food and more importantly very tasty.
In contrast, breakfast was fine but nothing exceptional.
We felt this was a comfortable stop-off on our way north.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Good to hear that your dining experience matched the hype you'd read about wiltshire moose. the menu will change again back end of October ready for the winter months and new produce. Hopefully see you back then. Best regards Darren

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Got married at the Smiths and had a wonderful time. Stayed in the Ash Suite, which was large, modern and clean.

All of the staff - from the receptionists to the bar and waiting staff to the wedding planners - were polite, friendly and very helpful.

Everything was organised through the hotel (the Anvil Hall, the piper, photographer, wedding car etc.) and went with out a hitch.

The food at the reception and in the restaurant was of a very high quality and the service was attentive and efficient.

Most of our wedding guests had lovely rooms with views over the fields, with the exception of my grandparents who had a dark room overlooking a loud vent, but that is really the only negative comment I have about the hotel.

We had a truly fantastic time and I would not hesitate to recommend a wedding at the Smiths.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the motorway
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks Rumswizzle, i enjoyed reading your feedback. It is always very rewarding to hear that someones special day went so well. The Ash Suite is about to undergo a little makeover in October......hope you approve on your next visit. we'll pop some pictures up on our website and social media channels when completed so you can have a peak and make comment. Regards Darren

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Booked a family room to stay in during our trip back from Scotland and we were all very pleased. The room was ideal for all 4 of us, staff were so friendly and the breakfast was the icing on the cake. Will happily stay again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thanks for the post IOmguy, much appreciaterd. So glad that the 4 of you enjoyed your visit and i look forward to you returning when next over. Regrads Darren

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a arranged a surprise night away for my husband for 5th August 2013 in the penthouse suite, it was his birthday. We arrived at the smiths around 1pm and understood that check in was 3pm, so we went shopping. We came back at 2.30pm and checked to see if our room was ready, nope it was which was ok, again we understood check was at 3pm, so at 3pm I asked if our room was ready and still it was wasn't. I was getting a little frustrated, we wasn't even asked if we wanted complimentary drinks while we waited for our because of there delay. 3.45pm a lady came and said our room was ready, in a manner that was very unprofessional, as we went to check they lady behind reception told what room we was in and how to get there, she's didn't ask if we wanted help with out luggage and no came to our room with us to show us our room and show us how we got the lights to work! ( luckily with myself working in the hotel industry I knew what to look for). I went to make us our selves a coffee and our cups where NOT clean, tea/coffee stains on them so I asked for some clean ones! When housekeeping up they just shoved the cups to my husband and went no apology NOTHING! Anyway as I checked out room (which very nice) it was far from clean, and you could tell I was not cleaned properly and was rushed, the very tired old settee was not plumped up and looked like a child had been running all over it, the glass dinning table was filthy and had streaks all over the mirror was also the same, I went into the bedroom and on the glass dressing table that was also dirty and had hair all over it, the bed hadn't been dusted, the bedside tables hadn't been dusted NOTHING had been dusted, I went on thought to the bathroom which was worse, the toilet was clean and had pubic hair on it, the jacuzzi bath was also not clean and had hair in it, there was no reclining had rests as stated on the website and the head rest was there came off and underneath was black mould, the shower, well that hadn't even been touch with any cleaning products the shower glass was covered in water makes from previous guests and chrome lined with scum, the sinks wer ok but around the sinks when I wiped my hand over I could fell the dirt and when I looked at my hand it was covered it dirt. The whole hadn't been hovered either as we're finding gems and confetti everywhere, our bedding was also not clean and marks all over it, so very annoyed a rang reception and told them how unhappy we were and they sent a housekeeper back to the room and I showed him what was wrong twitch the room and even he was discussed, he disappeared and came back with 2other housekeepers, and cleaned the room, after they left I checked the room again and they really done much other than fresh bedding and dusted, nothing else. I was very disappointed. I chose to ignore it and try and enjoy my night with my husband.

I went out onto the balcony to look at the veiws and was disgusted to see old wet tissue on the balcony and old flowers and rubbish, again I chose to ignore it I wanted to enjoy my night.

We decided to eat from the bar menu in our room, and what we had was very very very yummy, we did enjoy our food, that does deserve some credit. I didn't want the food to end it was that delicous.

We decided to climb into bed and watch some telly, when we rised the tv up from the bed it was very very noisy. As we got into bed we noticed the bed wasn't very comfy and it dipped in the middle making us roll into one another, also the pillows were very firm and not comfy at all, I certainly wouldn't say out sleep was good at all.

In the morning we ordered our breakfast to our room which was a big disappointment, it was Luke warm and didn't consist of much, the toast was cold and could tell it was stale bread, the breakfast all in all was tables and we didn't get what we had orders.

Before we checked out was asked to speak with the manager and we got the wedding planner???? What on earth was she going to do????? All she kept saying was sorry, but to be honest sorry doesn't cut it for me, our night was spoilt by the dirtiness of the room and I'm sorry to say but I will not be coming back to stay.

I work in very well known hotel in the Lake District, and expect better from other hotels. The service was cold and abrupt, the room was filthy, and the breakfast was a massive disappointment, the only good thing about our stay was the food we had for dinner.

I also have photographs as proof of how filthy this room was!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review Not so happy. I will take on board all of your comments and i am sorry that you felt the room dirty and service , cold. I note that you work in a hotel somewhere!, i know myself whenever i visit other hotels, restaurants etc that i too am quietly critical, and compare everything with my own service and practices, im dissapointed that you didnt actually mention what hotel it was you woked at. Anyways, i will certainly address your comments appropriately and i appreciate the feedback. Regards Darren

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary at Smiths. The staff are very friendly and made us welcome from the start. The food was above excellent. We stayed in one of the Deluxe double rooms. The room was spacious, with two comfy chairs and a very comfortable king size bed with both bedside lamps and individual reading lights,The beverage tray had tea,coffee & hot chocolate.Our room was at the front of the hotel with views over the fields and beautiful countryside.From our window we watched one of the brides being transported by horse drawn carriage to The Blacksmiths for her wedding ceremony. The lift wasn't working when we arrived, realizing that I had booked an adapted room the staff on reception had called me to warn me that there was a problem, which I thought was lovely and very attentive. We were only able to stay for one night, would have loved to stay longer and will definitely stay again at some point

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the front of the hotel as there is a very busy road at the back so there w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

How very kind of you to write such pleasant things Lesley, thak you very much indeed. I look forward to seeing you back here soon. Regards Darren

Reviewed August 19, 2013

THIS IS VERY LONG BUT READ IF YOUR GETTING MARRIED HERE!
We got married in the blacksmiths shop then smiths 13/2/13 and all I can say about the staff is they were all truly amazing from the bar to the wedding planner to the metre'de!!! The wedding planner had so much ear ache off me even before we arrived!
Arrived the day before the wedding and no sooner had I booked in my wedding planner was sitting with me checking and double checking everything and trying to settle my nerves! lol . Went over to the blacksmiths shop to see how things would go and was showed where i would come in how the whole process worked staff were very helpful!
The hotel is clean, bright and beautiful and for a 4* hotel the bar prices went to bad!(i think some people on here expect social club prices) I had booked 1 family room, and 2 twin rooms for the night before and one family room and the Ash suite for the wedding night. (extras were separate bedrooms for me and him the night before and the other for guests).***( we had a twin room at the back and didn't really notice road noise)*** The staff offered me the ash suite as soon as we checked in however I wanted things a little traditional and didn't want to see the groom until I arrived at the blacksmiths shop! Then staff told me I would have to leave my twin room by 11am on the day of my wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wasn't happy!!!!! This was soon rectified after i reminded them how many thousands i had spent there!!! (while we were married staff moved all our stuff in to Ash suite) Being traditional and not wanting the groom to see me i requested breakfast in my room with my matron of honour the morning of the wedding ( i was going to be charged extra for this ) except they sent the other guests breakfast which i didn't like and by the time i got mine i just couldn't eat it!
However it was my wedding day and snowing heavy outside!!!!! Just what i wanted! It was perfect!! Hair and make up @ spoilt were amazing they really turned me in to a princess! lol Guys at the blacksmiths had cleared snow for my arrival and helped me down the path as i was still slipping!! lol. They really couldn't have done anymore (If your getting married piper is a must!!! and ask smiths for silver lady cars i think they were called super helpful!!! Also the smiths had borrowed my guests brollies to walk over to the blacksmiths shop due to snow!
Wedding breakfast was awesome even though i was worried the amount was sparse and guests would be hungry but they wernt! I didn't order any evening entertainment as we were having another party back in wales but they supplied docking station for ipod in the evening so it was ideal people could talk and catch up and dance too!. (they also provided a small dance floor at request!!) (Its was also my birthday and my matron of honour arranged with staff for cake & candles to be brought out!) Ash suite is gorgeous but you just don't get long enough in it! Shower is awesome! It was awesome standing on the balcony in the snow with my new husband looking over the blacksmiths shop, where we had earlier got married, its a view i will never forget!!!!
Next morning the breakfast i had in the restarunt was fantastic and i ate loads! i do like a big breakfast! All staff were TRULEY AMAZING i could not have asked for more as i was pretty demanding as my wedding had to be perfect! I'm a stickler for total organisation and they provided me with just that at every second.
I saw the blacksmiths shop and smiths online and booked it before i even visited it! I thought after that i might have made a mistake but i couldn't have been more wrong its was amazing they provided everything i could have asked for (and did ask for lol) and more. There was only one other wedding on when i got married so i really felt it was all my day!
Next morning reception took all rental suit's off men to be collected later by matron of honour.
Only problem is my matron of honour has walking problems and the lift was constantly not working!!!!!!!!
We were leaving on the 14th feb Valentines day and it was super busy!!!! people were leaving to get married while i was eating breakfast. If your thinking of a valentines wedding and want your day to be all about you i don't think this is the place. I think they can marry people every 30 min in the blacksmiths shop so i can be very very busy!!!!!!!!
The smiths/blacksmiths shop didn't fail they are all truly amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou smiths for the best day of our lives. A day we will remember and treasure forever. xx

Room Tip: Ash suite overlooks blacksmiths shop and it looks amazing all lit up at night! Ask for a room on t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for putting up your review seo. It is possibly the longest review we have had posted up and makes for very pleasant reading (and viewing with the photos). There really were some magnificent scenes during the snow spell and im so pleased that your wish of a truly snow white wedding materialised (we pulled a few strings with the big man upstairs for you, told him how perfect you wanted it, LOL). We all look forward to you coming back this coming winter and will again have the snow on stand by. regards Darren

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have just returned from Gretna after attending my brother and sister in laws wedding which was conducted at the Old Blacksmiths Shop. Following an initial booking error by Smiths leading to some of our wedding party having to be relocated to alternate accommodation for one night, the staff at Smiths rallied around and certainly made up for their error. Although this booking oversight put a slight dampener on the weekend, I can honestly say that the customer service shown by Smiths was second to none. A special mention to Karen who ensured that we were taken care of and received superb service. Final words, great venue, delicious food, fantastic cocktails. I know that my family and I will recommend the Smiths at Gretna Green and hope to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: Family rooms great for those travelling with children.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Glad to hear that the weekend went well for you all Hannah, not too sure what went on there with that room though. Karen will be delighted with your comments, thanks for that, i shall be sure to pass them on. Best regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!