“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
scotland uk
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We held our wedding in Gretna on 31st May. Initially, we were going to have a quiet wedding on our own, however, friends discovered our plans and as a result, the event grew! Knowing that friends and family would be attending, we booked more rooms and made reception plans with the wedding planners at Smiths. I cant thank Heidi and Carly enough for the time they spent on the phone with me organising our wedding meal etc. Heidi recommended a private dining area that was perfect for us and our 8 guests. Not having the time to visit the hotel before our wedding, we put our faith in them and they came up trumps. The dining area was beautifully made up on the morning of the wedding and apart from me having a look and laying favours on the tables, I had to do nothing. Brilliant and stress free!
Each member of staff we encountered was friendly, courteous and most helpful. The rooms were lovely, well appointed and spacious. We had a balcony room which was very comfortable.
The wedding meal was delicious and beautifully presented. All of our guests commented on the service and presentation. There were a few weddings taking place over the two days we were at the hotel and for me, that added to the good atmosphere in the hotel. If, as a bride and groom you are looking for exclusivity, I would think you either book the whole hotel or go elsewhere. We also ate the in the restaurant the evening before the wedding, again, great service and lovely food. I am unable to find fault with Smiths. We left with very happy memories and I would highly recommend to others. (Myself and flowergirl had hair / makeup done at Spoilt @ Smiths for which I have written a separate review)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kasimps
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Kasimps, superb review, thank you so much. Good to hear that all your friends and family got to enjoy the day as well, these things certainly do escalate once word gets out. The girls will be delighted with the name drop, thanks for that. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team. See you again soon, regards Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
south wales
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We attended a family wedding at Gretna and spent two nights at this hotel.The room was nicely decorated and kept nice and clean with daily housekeeping.The rest of the hotel was nicely decorated and had a nice atmosphere too.Check in was quick and efficient and members of staff were helpful and polite.Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice.The wedding meal was absolutely lovely.Staff at Gretna Green were welcoming and the ceremony was lovely and performed by a nice lady and the lady photographer had lots of patience!It was a double wedding with lots of guests!Would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Martip, glad that you enjoyed your two days with us, dont be a stranger now , come back soon. Regards Darren
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We got married at the Blacksmiths shop and stayed in the Rose Suite at Smiths Hotel.
Staff were really nice and friendly. The Rose Suite is really lovely and the bathroom is massive. Our balcony overlooked the fields which was nice.
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant a la carte.
I had treatments at Spoils and again the girls were really nice.
Only down thing we felt was the breakfast which is self service which was not as fresh as it could be.
Overall I would be more than happy to go back there which hopefully on our anniversary 23 May we will go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Great review Carole, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. It is always very pleasing to hear that someones big day went so well. Im actually going to be having a little upgrade applied to the Rose Suite this year to make it even nicer, new sofas, voiles over the 4 poster, dining table, rugs etc, so do come back and let me know your thoughts on the changes - the overall feel will remain the same, just a little spruce up. Best regards Darren
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Do not, for goodness sake, allow yourself to be booked into any room with odd numbers. These are all at the rear of the Hotel level with, and overlooking, the Motorway and the noise is awful even with the inadequate double glazing to the windows. Don't even think about opening them for some ventilation.
The Reception staff refused to move us at first saying they were fully booked with a Conference (they weren't) and so we had to pay extra for an even numbered room after seeing them again.
Also be careful about the food which is not good....burnt toast, coiled and baked bacon that I could not get my teeth through and tasteless mushrooms for Breakfast....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thanks for the review Geoffrey, a little extreme however in its terminology may i say, but i appreciate and absord all individual comments and feedback through this forum. The rooms at the back of the hotel really arent as made out here, yes there is a motorway and if you are a particularly light sleeper then maybe the hum of noise might disturb you, which it clearly did on this occasion, but i dont believe we are any different from being located similar to any hotel with local traffic, city noise, revellery etc. Our double glazing is as you would expect and performs more than adequately for the vast majority of guests. The bacon, which is a middle cut, therefore offering both back and streaky in one, hence the coil you describe, really is great quality from Cranstons of Penrith, not the usual hotel bulk packed water injected rubbish you get in many places, so im a little dissapointed with your experience, sorry for this. Likewise the burnt toast must surely have been held in the toaster a little too long by the waitress and couldve easily been rectified upon request (appreciate it shouldnt have been served "burnt" - which is surprising). Im truly sorry that your experience with us is a little negative and i take on board your points. Thanks again and best regards Darren
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have called in at the Smith's once before for drinks in the afternoon and found staff to be very friendly. On my second visit myself and guests had booked a table in the restaurant the food was first class , presentation and service. My guests had come up from London and were pleasantly surprised . Would recommend people to go to the Smith's restaurant you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Cheers Alan, appreciate the post. Do feel free to call in anytime with as many colleagues as you want. We try and balance our food offering to suit all tastes and all budgets (no easy feat!) with the emphasis always on high quality ingredients, presentation and most importantly taste, so to read your feedback is fantastic, thank you. Regards Darren
Bolton UK
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My only complaint was that on arriving at the hotel on the Friday at 3pm our room was not ready and we had to wait an hour. However from then on it was amazing.
I want to thank all the staff who worked so hard to ensure our wedding day went to plan. I cannot find one fault with the friendly, professional service which my husband and I and the guests recieved on our very special day. We had the most amazing day and night. The food was hot and tasty and plenty, the wine was kept flowing and every detail was attended to. The chocolate fountain was yummy.

Room Tip: We had a balcony suite with lots of room and an amazing view, although all the rooms were very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Lizzy, good to have you back again - for the big day no less. So very glad that the day and stay went so well, its extremely satisfying for us to know that such an important day in someones life is faultless and memorable for all the right reasons. We all look forward to your return, best regards Darren
Glenrothes, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Well what can i say! Best wedding ever and it was mine! From the very beginning the service was top notch. Heidi was amazing, helping us along the way before the big day. On arrival. We were able to meet with Heidi who explained that Carly would be taking over for the wedding the next day. My mum and I stayed in the penthouse for the Friday night, champagne, choc and wee teddy greeted us, unfortunately in the bathroom a wee bird must had used the facilities as there was a bit of bird poop on the sink, however after informing the staff this was quickly resolved, along with making my dad and my husband's room from a double to a twin. Complementary cocktails in the bar plus they made my husband’s fav a long island ice tea that was not on the menu but where happy to accommodate him! My cake and flowers arrived and Carly sorted this all out letting us keep the flowers in a cool place. Meal on the Friday was fantastic, no issues with wanting the bar menu and my dad and brother both got their peroni in a proper glass lol Day of the wedding was very smooth, breakfast was brilliant and a huge choice including haggis which my dad was very pleased with! I got to see the table in the private dining area before hand and it was lovely. I was able to add my favours and cake topper. Myself, mum and sister in law all got make up done in Spoilt at Smiths, couldn’t have asked for nicer girls, very friendly and they did an excellent job. My sister in law also got her hair done and this was all so lovely. My dad was moving into the thistle suite from his twin room and this was done very well and with no fuss. I was able to hide in the thistle suite whilst Carly organised everything and everyone else in the penthouse. The photographer was brilliant and made me feel at ease before the ceremony. The piper was also good and a special thank you to Sandy the minister who slowed down his words so i could repeat them as i was so nervous! After the ceremony, champagne and canapés were brought up as planned, no issue with this either. More photos were taken by the photographer who worked really well with the piper and minister. Meal was at 4pm in the private dining room, this was great, and it felt like we were the only wedding party there. The food was excellent and the service too. Overall this was a great place to get married, so much attention to detail, it was as if we were the only bride and groom in the hotel!

2 Thank Lindsey K
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Lindsay, what a fantastic review, thank you so much. I am so pleased that your big day went so well and that we were allowed to be a part of such an occasion. we all look forward to your return. all the best Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!