“Very nice Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very nice Hotel”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Won a night away through competition at work. Booked valentines weekend and loved the Hotel. Very classy and week worth the 4 star rating. Called night before to confirm booking and was info,red had a balcony room (ideal as rooms at from with view over Gretna Green and hills etc) when arrived a bit disappointed to be informed room changed and was standard room (no apology just a remark that it was a complimentary upgrade anyway, ok ?) However standard room was deluxe and very very nice :-). Get used to the drone of the a/c unit outside the room after a few hours. Lift was out of service time I was there and for folk like myself with mobility issues this was a bit of a hindrance, few bridal parties there and watched a bride struggle to lift her dress tryi g to go up the three small flights to the first floor :-/ Champagne was included and must say thought this was one of the best bottles I had tasted, so enjoyed that. The meal up to £60 was also included and enjoyed this immensely, quality and presentation fantastic (bit pricey if paying but worth it)
Staff pleasant enough and service good. Really worth the visit and ideally situated right across from the Blacksmiths Anvil and Green. Wedding packages worth a look for those looking for a deal and package.
Front reception did lack a bit of atmosphere though, some background music perhaps ?
All in all nice wee night away, room fantastic and meal lovely !

Room Tip: Ask for front room, rooms at back bit noisy with a/c unit and motorway
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for the review Paula, great to read such an honest review (had a few dodgy and suspicious ones of late, but thats Tripadvisor!!!)
Sorry about the lift, unfortunately somebody decied to jump up and down in it causing it to get stuck and blew some sort of electric board, which unfortunately has taken over 5 days to get on order. Anyway, great to hear you enjoyed your stay. All the best for now, regards Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel as a whole is lovely, could not fault the room, that is until we saw the bathroom. We had been placed in the disabled access room (ironic as the lift to the room didn't work) and so the bathroom very much resembled one from a hospital, both in appearance and smell. As a carer myself I was made to feel as though I had paid to spend the night at work, this put a dampener on the whole experience. We only arrived at the room late as we were attending a wedding and so we kept our complaints until the morning (the hotel was full so they couldn't have moved us anyway). However, when we did complain the lady on reception was incredibly rude, she waited until I had finished talking and then said "so how are you paying", there was no attempt made at an apology which was unacceptable.

On the plus side, the food was lovely (better in the morning than on the wedding day itself) and the staff at breakfast could not do enough to help.

So all in all a great hotel, let down by a few key things that could be so easily rectified by better staffing.and communication. Unfortunately I would not stay here again, I expected more for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review, albeit you didnt appreciate the bathroom. Of the 50 bedrooms we have here we do naturally have a couple of accesible bathroom options, which im sure as a carer you can appreciate. im truly sorry that you feel so strongly about being allocated such a bathroom (with grip handles in), but as you correctly mention we were unable to re - allocate another room, which we absolutely wouldve done had we not been full and your particular room type available. It is obviously dissapointing to read that you enjoyed every other aspect of the hotel , but would not return based on this. Regards Darren
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked our wedding through Smiths hotel wedding planners ( Lisa ) had no problems, arrived the day bed our wedding - check in was fine receptionist was friendly - we were given the Rosé Suite what a lovely room - no complaints, had dinner from the lounge menu that evening again no complaints, the mornings of the wedding I spoke with Lisa who suggested we head over to the Blacksmiths shop to have a look around and speak with the staff which we did they were very helpful and answered all our questions !!! I had my hair and make-up done at Spoilt all the girls were very nice and chatty and I loved my hair ( can't remember girls name but she had just got married herself) !!! As it was just the 2 of us we headed over to the blacksmiths shop 10 min before our service and where met by 2 men who work there both very pleasant - service went ahead without any problems we had our photos taken by Colin Carpenter and again very helpful and friendly man, we returned to the hotel had some drinks in the lounge were all the staff as well as other guests congratulated us on our marriage !!!!! That evening we had dinner in the restaurant a bit pricey but lovely all the same !!!!! Over all we had a wonderful wedding day and lovely stay at Smiths Hotel. All that was left for us to do was come home and tell family and friends that we had got married !!!!! would defiantly recommend wither you are having a wedding just the 2 of you or a big doo !!!!! Mr & Mrs Laidlaw

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks for the review Kerry, much appreciated. I am so very pleased to read that your day went so well for you both. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all those mentioned, thanks again, i look forward to your return, Darren
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We used this hotel as part of our wedding experience.Thankfully we never held our wedding here.
No working lift for our 3 day stay.
We asked for extra milk in our hotel and a member of staff insisted on checking how much we had before giving us more.
We booked a Valentines evening meal at the reception only to find that there was no record of this when we checked by chance.
One of the room service meals comes with chunky bread but that didn't arrive.
We were supposed to have complimentary Champagne in the room but no sign of this.
When we booked my wife asked if they would be able to help her with her dress and was told no problem. She had to call reception 3 times to get someone to agree to help.
Dirty cups left in room, bed not made.
Shambles.

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barreb, What a very dissapointing review, i am truly sorry that you feel this way about your stay and i appreciate your feedback. The lift has been out of action for a few days , yes, unfortunately an incident involving one particular guest jumping up and down in the lift caused it to malfunction and stick on one of the floors. The damage requires a new part which the engineer has had to order and then return to fit. This incident i appreciate is frustrating and not a scenario i am particularly happy with myself, alas there was very little i could do to speed up the fix. Your other comments are so far removed from our everyday standards and so unlike all the other feedback we have recieved this week that I truly do not have answers as to why your experience was so poor, but youve left feeling let down and for that i am truly sorry. Best regards Darren
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights for our wedding and the staff could not of been more helpful. We checkedd in on the friday afternoon with about 30 of our guests, all our rooms were ready as promised including 2 rooms set up to accomodate our nephews.
The morning of our wedding staff arranged for the penthouse suite to be ready for me and my bridesmaids to get ready in early whch was nice to have the extra room and the champgne went down a treat. There was a couple of problems with the room (tv in the bed didn't work and the ipod docking station was broke) neither of these caused us any major upset just slightly disapointed. Apart from these little problems I would highly reccommend the suite.
When it was time for us to start leaving for Anvil Hall, again I would highly recommend, everything went smoothly. Carly arranged with the drivers of the cars times for my Husband and all groomsmen to leave then bridesmaids and finally me and my dad. All this I didn't have to worry about. Even down to when it was time for me to leave she rang and said a couple of our guests where just checking in and to wait a few mins so they didn't see me in my wedding dress. All the personal touches makes the difference.
When we arrived back as Mr&Mrs the service didn't stop. Our events co-ordinator a gentlemen, which his name I've forgot sorry, he was amazing from meeting us at the entrance to the bar bill at the end of the night, he really is a credit to the hotel.
Our mela at the wedding was a pleasent surprise. so much attention to detail.
Hopefully returning for our 1st anniversary in September. Thank you all again.
Mr & Mrs Sweeney

Room Tip: The penthouse is to die for!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for putting up your rteview Claire, I hope married life since September is all you wanted it to be. Really pleased to read such comprehensive praise for the hotel and my staff. Your anniversary will be upon you in no time and i look forward to you returning, best regards Darren
uk
Reviewed February 11, 2013

beautiful boutique hotel in Gretna,looks unremarkable from the outside but once inside its a different story luxury rooms and bathrooms very spacious.
The restaurant food is excellent quality with friendly efficient service and good wine list.
The lounge bar area has luxurious couches to relax infront of the fire after a gastro delight.
Amazing value for money on the accomodation side. Dinner pricier but worth every penny.
The only place to stay in this neck of the woods

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the superb review Happy, always good to read. look forward to seeing you back here soon. Best regards Darren
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My daughter wanted to get married over the Anvil at the Old Blacksmiths Shop at Gretna Green. She booked and paid for a 2 night wedding package at the Smiths Hotel opposite which included the Blacksmith Shop. On arrival they booked in at reception and were shown their room. There were roses on the bed, a vase of flowers, canapés. And a bottle of Champagne, just as it was advertised. Unfortunately the canapés were all various types of fish. And neither of them eats fish. The Champagne was not very nice and undrinkable and they had to leave it.
They then went to meet the Hotels wedding planner. who whilst she very helpful when booking the package, did not give them much informationfor the day, other than: - be across the road at 10 45.
The following morning my husband and I arrived at the hotel for the Wedding. On entering reception, there was no atmosphere at all
We thought it would be a happy joyous place but not so, we went up to the Daughters room to see a nearly full bottle of Champagne and a plate of uneaten canapés.
The wedding service was perfect a very special and happy occasion, and a pleasure to be part of. The Registrar was very nice along with the staff of the Blacksmiths Shop (Separate review) we had plenty of time for Photos and then returned to Smiths Hotel.
On returning to the Hotel we past and saw several members of staff and none said Congratulations to the Bride or Groom, again there was no atmosphere
Later one of the bedroom staff did congratulate her and said how nice she looked,
We went into the lounge for a drink before the meal, here again there not the atmosphere one would expect for such an occasion.
We ordered the meal and were shown to a table for the six of us which was well laid out. The meals to say the least were very poor. I had Spaghetti Bolognese which tasted as though it was out of a tin. My husband and Grandson had Burger and about six chips which was not very hot. The others had lasagne which tasted like it had come straight from the microwave. Each main course cost between £11 and £12 each. The sweets we ordered for £6 each were very small and the Cheesecake ordered was totally inedible and was sent back to the kitchen, we received no apology. The lounge bill with drinks came to £101.70 far too expensive for such poor quality tasteless food.
The total bill for the two night stay for my Daughter and now Husband, in a double room, was in excess of £600. Which I think is excessive. On leaving the lounge my Husband made his feelings known to the Restaurant Manager who said he was sorry, but didn’t seem over bothered.
Possibly because the Wedding Package had been paid for up front.

Room Tip: check what the package consists of before you book and pay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan356
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Susan. many thanks for the review, albeit it seems that some aspects were not quite to your taste, for which i am obviously dissapointed and sorry, in that it affected your day. It is quite difficult to make comment in relation to personal taste so all i can really do is respond as honestly as i can. Champagne does vary greatly in taste, quality and well... price and the Champagne we use, supplied by Matthew Clark Wine Merchants is very reputable, certainly as an inclusion in room rate. Similarly with the canapes, it is very difficult to really know preferences of such things without being firstly informed, hence why we put out a selection of meat, fish and veg. January is in fairness a lot quieter than most other months, so staffing levels are smaller and unfortunately occupancy of other guests lower, this would have an impact on ambience of course, but we remain as upbeat as we possibly can. I note that you dined off the bar menu and am sorry that this was not up to your expectation, but please be assured that, like the A La carte food everything is made completely from scratch. I am very sad to read that you felt the staff didnt pay you enough attention on such an important day and that the instruction and briefing from the planner was not sufficient, i am truly sorry for this, we honestly try and make every guest as welcome as possible and on the whole achieve this naturally. I will ensure that all of my team read this review and utilise it constructively and appropriately. Thanks again for taking the time to write up your feedback. Best regards Darren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
Solway Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!