“Best wedding we could of wished for!!”

Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked Smiths for our wedding reception in september. We travelled with 35 guests who were all very happy with the hotel. The rooms were lovely, very clean and it was the comfiest hotel bed i've ever slept. The staff were friendly, eager to help with anything and very pleasant. The hotel had a lovely atmosphere especially in the bar area. We never ate in the restaurant except for breakfast but the bar snack menu was great lots of selection and lovely food all round. The wedding reception was lovely and the wedding planners were happy to give us details of local people to help us with flowers, chair covers, entertainment etc. We would not change a thing about the day except maybe having the wedding earlier so it would of lasted longer. Overall we had an amazing three night stay and would reccomend this hotel to anyone thinking of booking there wedding here or even just to stay in the hotel. Would be a pleasure to stay here again.

3  Thank Claire M
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thanks Claire, great review - it was good chatting to you the morning after your wedding also. look forward to your return. Regards Darren

There are newer reviews for Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am following on from wife's review (Higham 1) and have included some photo's too which I hope are helpfull! Yes, the hotel and wedding was fantastic. I loved the Penthouse Suite, it had a great Ipod player and three TV's including one in the bathroom (wow!!!), one coming out the bed and one in the lounge. The wife thinks I am taking her back as a treat for her, but to tell the truth its my treat!. The wedding went great. If it helps we used 1st Class Limo's for the car hire and they did a great deal on two Limo's, we used Giselle at Flowerstalk in Annan for the flowers and we used Sheena Watret, Burnside Farm Annan for the cake. Not really an expert on flowers but the woman were impressed, the cars were a great way to transport the guests and the cake was amazing and tasted delicious, and much less than any competitor. If you want any of the contact details text me on 07709273052. Really recommend this hotel, you'll love it, but even better the wife will too!!!

2  Thank Higham2too
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thanks for the add on review higham 2. Great comments about all of the other services that you experienced along with the hotel. see you again soon, regards Darren

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked the hotel for our wedding in may! We were very lucky and had 22 degrees with beaming sunshine! We drove up from Essex so left early to avoid traffic but called day before and asked hotel If it was possible to have an early check in, we were aware we had a suite booked but the lady was very pleasant  saying she would try and sort something out! We arrived at 10 am and spoke to a very friendly guy on reception explained our situation and on checking he told us the room had been vacated and he would do all he could to speak to housekeeping to get the room ready for us ASAP ! We had our year old son with us, so waited patiently in the bar area! We waited two hours and on asking again we were told he was trying to get it sorted. We were obviously a bit frustrated as I felt this could have been done ASAP for us considering we called the day before and had our baby with us! The room was finally ready by 2pm which was a bit wrong in my eyes it should have been a lot earlier!
The room was beautiful, very spacious but was missing a few details ie wardrobe handle missing, one lamp not working just attention to detail really esp paying £300 a night!
Food was amazing breakfast, lunch and dinner! Credit to the chefs amazing place to dine, price of food very reasonable and they should have a Michelin star!
Few grumbles of which upset me very much and would stopme returning to the hotel. I was getting married at 2pm, on leaving the room my son accidentally knocked over a free standing  make up mirror, it obviously smashed but was unable to clear it up ourselves as no Hoover in the room.  There was a housekeeper outside our room a lady who I explained what had happened she came into the room looked at the mirror and shook her head in annoyance, she said she would get it sorted! I explained our son was crawling so could she please get the glass we could not pick up as we were off to get married. On our return at 4pm two hours later the room had not been cleaned, bed unmake, towels unchanged  but worst the glass had just been left. I was really upset, tearful about it In fact  but did not want it to ruin my day so my husband  cleaned up as much as he could. On checking out I explained what had happened to reception staff and she apologised and said she would look into it. I never heard from the hotel after returning home and felt for what we paid and the fact it was our wedding day the service was well below average! Our wedding night at 11pm we received a call from reception asking if  they could come up and check the bathroom as the room downstairs had water coming through, this did nothing for our wedding night  I do feel really disappointed as we had discussed coming back on our year anniversary but would not return. I see the manager replies to some of these posts so I'll wait to hear!

• Stayed: May 2012
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thanks for the review Globetrot, albeit with a few grumbles. Appreciate what you are saying about early check in, and believe me we try our utmost to accomodate all requests, but we simply cannot guarantee it. Everybody it seems wants to check in early (understandable), but unfortunately dont want to check out on time the very next day. I note you arrived at 10am. Our check out time isnt actually until 11am and check in is 3pm and like i said we honestly try to accomodate requests, with natural priority given to brides and grooms actually getting married that very day, which im sure you can understand. I do appreciate that after a long drive and having a young child to look after, the wait would be very frustrating. Whereas im sorry for the inconvenience, i am also pleased that you had room access an hour earlier than check in time. The clear up of the mirror is dissapointing and should have been actioned quicker (stay rooms are generally serviced after getting on all new arrivals to minimise wait for rooms for arrivals, (like yourself the day before) especially as there was a child involved (doubly dissapointing as i also have a broken mirror). The interuption at 11pm was absolutely necessary with regret as water was leaking into the room below and in our experience (actually happens more often than you may think) is a result of an overfilled bath with bubbles, whether this was actually the case, i dont know. We had to investigate to prevent damage to the ceiling below your room (which was also occupied). Thank you for the comments in relation to food, much appreciated. i am sorry that you will not be returning next year, but wish you, your husband and little one all the very best for the future. Regards Darren

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at Smiths for two nights in July to attend the Wedding of a friend. I found the staff to be most helpful and the Wedding day went very well.

The room was lovely, well presented and clean. The only downside to them are they are a little dark as the windows are not that wide so a little bit of moving the mirror around had to be done to apply make-up etc.

The breakfast was lovely, with plenty of variety. If I have one tiny complaint, it is the cost of the drinks. I have friends who live in Scotland and they were astounded by the prices I had to pay. I am from London and used to high prices, but I did not expect it to be quite so much for Scotland. However, this would not deter me from staying here again if I am ever back in Gretna!

Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I believe the front of the Hotel is quieter than the back as it is near a main road
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Doris1263

Thanks for the review Doris, much appreciated. I will share your feedback with the team as usual. All the best Darren

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got married on the 2nd of September and had our reception at Smiths. We booked a package which in included rooms for our guests and booked the Penthouse Suite for ourselves. The hotel is wonderfull. We did not know whether to splash out on the Penthouse Suite, but we are so glad we did. The rooms amazing, we had it the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. It was great because as our guests arrived the day before they could come up and see us without feeling they were sitting in our 'bedroom'. The service was excellent, food is amazing. Yes the drinks are a bit expensive but that's what you expect at a nice hotel.

Tim on reception was a very good sport when my step daughter and Niece filled the jacuzzi with bubbles and then proceeded to get rid of them over the balcony causing guests to speculate if it was snowing! Our guests were all impressed with their rooms. We did have a mishap with our wedding menu but will not go into that as Smith's have given an apology and put that right. I would like to say a big thank you to Slav, who co-ordinated our reception on the day, dealt with our crisis in a most professional and efficient way, he was brilliant and his customer service skills are excellent.

We are going back to celebrate our first annivasary, and will no doubt be visiting for lunch or dinner when we are in the area. Vety highly recommended.

1  Thank Higham1
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Ah ha, so it was you who was responsible for the snow - great story Higham, enjoyed reading that. Always good to task Tim (Trainee Hotel Manager) with an obscure challenge. Thanks also for highlighting Slav, he is indeed a superb wedding host, im lucky to have him as an employee. Thanks for this review and i look forward to your return. Best regards, Darren

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I cannot praise this fantastic hotel enough!!
Just married 22/9/12 and Lyn our wedding co-ordinator had everything planned perfectly.
From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
We had a horse and carriage take us to the famous blacksmiths shop, the piper was brilliant and a big thank you to jim.
We had our reception at the hotel and Slav made us all welcome his attention to detail was really refreshing, he was able to talk us through the whole thing with speeches, food, cutting cake etc, thank you Slav.
We had Steven ramage DJ he was brilliant.
I would not hesitate to recommend smiths, they made our day wonderful. The have a lot to be proud off.
Sharon & James Anderson

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

James and Sharon, many thanks for the review. Absolutely delighted to hear that your day went so well. Thanks also for mentioning Lyn, Jim, Slav and Stephen - they will be thrilled to get such personal praise. do come back again soon. Best regards, Darren

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We got married through Smiths 16/09/2011 and we returned for our wedding anniversary this Year, it was quite special we pretty much done everything in the order that we did on our wedding day obviosly without the stress of the wedding!

Smiths is an amazing hotel We got the Thistle Suite as this is what we had within our wedding package as we were given a complimentary upgrade, All the staff are amazing.

We would defo recomend Smiths as a hotel and as a great wedding Venue/Package!

Room Tip: We had the Thistle Suite but We seen the normal rooms when our guests came last Year and these were...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Smiths-GG, General Manager at Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thanks Karl, it was good having your both back. Really appreciate the comments you have posted and i look forward to your next visit. Best Regards Darren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
The Gretna Chase Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel? Share your experiences!