“Fit for a Knight in shining armour”

Chainmail Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Gretna Green
Margate, United Kingdom
“Fit for a Knight in shining armour”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My partner and I ate in the main restaurant once and then went back for a bar meal a few nights later.
In both the food was excellent - as good as I have had in many fine dining establishments around Europe - I had an excellent haddock and squid to stat followed by the superb venison with cherries and chocolate .... then an excellent cheese trolley served up to our table and very good. My partner had the beef and then a chocolate dessert which I struggled to get a sample of as it was "too good to share".......
The staff were attentive and knowledgeable about the menu - my request for extra crackers with my cheese being no trouble at all which is not always the reaction one gets - our thanks to Molly and her colleagues for an excellent evening which is why we returned for a bar meal.
the bar menu was equally good - I had a burger which I "almost" could not finish - and certainly could not fit into my mouth as it was so big, my partner had the homemade lasagne which was certainly that - all served while we sat in sumptuous sofas and a lovely ambience.
Very - VERY - good and if you are in Gretna and hungry I urge you to go.........

Visited August 2013

London
“Brilliant inspired food”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This restaurant inside Smiths Hotel is brilliant. I have eaten here twice now and the quality of the food and wines is exceptional.Dinner for 2 came out at £60 without wine last time. Not to be missed

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ian V
Lockerbie
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“they made a real effort”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A friend and I visited for an evening meal and the service was spot on, the food was very good, with little extras (such as different types of bread) being offered in a genuine attempt to make it very special. The menu is extensive and there's a stromng link with the local community by offering local food. As there was a large wedding going on at the same time (or possibly two weddings) I feared we might get slow service but no such thing it was fast, the food was hot and I cant fault it. Yes its on the expensive side but it was well worth it.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KirkwoodLockerbie
“Worse place ever eaten”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I would never ever reccomend this place to anyone food was cold and awful to put near my mouth staff were rude... Bad move

cumbria
“quality”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

food very good top quality,but fine dining is expensive and small portions,ideal for a special occasion

Visited March 2013