“Absolutely fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Gretna Green
England
“Absolutely fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

I would on behalf of everyone who travelled with Fletchers coaches of Malton, to your Turkey and Tinsel, Nov 03 to Nov 10 2008 to say how much we enjoyed our stay with you. The Hotel was very friendly & warm. The rooms were very clean, the food was excellent and the entertainment was also excellent. What more could we want. We all said it was possibly the best week we had ever had, and most of us can't wait to be back next year.

Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for our first anniversary and my birthday. My partner had booked this for me as a surprise. We arrived at the hotel just before 2pm and unfortunately the rooms where not ready yet. Check in is from 3pm and we did know this but wanted to try our luck. The receptionist offered to store our luggage and suggested us to have lunch in the lounge bar while waiting for our room. I preferred shopping and asked the receptionist if there was anything in the near vicinity. She suggested the outlet village which was lovely for a serious shopping addict like me!

We went back two hours later and our room was ready. While checking in we got talking to the young receptionist and my partner mentioned our anniversary and my birthday. The girl sad that they had made a note of this at the time of my partner booking the room and they had provided us with a free upgrade to a junior suite.

I really enjoyed our two night stay at this hotel and thought that staff was so lovely and friendly. Especially the reception staff! The girls went out of their way to help us with anything we required.
I just wish all these people would stop moaning and leaving the bad reviews! We all know that everybody is going through financial difficulties but providing other people with inaccurate information to get a refund is just wrong! And believe me when I tell you that’s what all these guests are trying who have entered a review before me.
The hotel is not in top condition and could use a refurbishment. But you can obviously see that they are trying their very best. You can see that the hotel is very popular for weddings (there were two weddings when we stayed)

Guys, keep up the good work and please don’t let the grumpy guests affect your good work!!

Thanks for the lovely stay!!!!

• Liked — Our room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 1.30pm and as promised our rooms and most of our guests were available. (Small hitch with one room that had been booked for over 1 year, the hotel had no record of this, however luckily the guest was armed with their bank statment as proof of payment and a room was found!!) I had contacted the hotel prior to the wedding on several occassions and was not convinced or reassured by the communication between myself and themselves, this had been noticed in a frantic phone call to the wedding co-ordinator after an email she sent stating she had not received my wedding menu (this had been confirmed and discussed with another wedding co-ordinator the previous week) On the verge of tears when told wedding co-ordinator was unavailable and I would have to ring the following day Grant (hotel manager I think) saved the day, he rang and sorted everything from menu to payment for me and I have to say remained calm and reassuring throughout me doing a good impression of minnie mouse!!! Before arriving at the hotel I telephoned to inform them that I needed an S shape cake stand for my three tier wedding cake as I did not want to use pillars. Upon arrival I walked into the room and found a cake stand that needed pillars and was about to go into a full scale melt down when a man in a kilt informed me the hotel do not and have never had such a stand and I needed pillars!!! he then assured me he would ring local bakers to try and obtain an S shape stand!! In the grand scheme of things I soon realised this didn't matter and if that was the only thing to go wrong then so be it. The wedding went without a hitch and just when I started to relax (ressured everyone had beds and rooms for the night) the bar we had paid £50 for ran out of gas and this could not be fixed, guests were told to buy bottles of beer or walk to another bar!!! . Over all the comments that I had previously read I felt were unjustified, yes the hotel is slightly run down, however its fit for purpose. The majority of staff were very helpfull and some were very unhelpful (the lady on reception was grumpy and a rude bar person snapped at my neice when she asked how long her toasted sandwich would be having waited 20 minutes. Some of the more hardened drinkers also commented that the half pints of lagers were not actual half pint measures as they were being served in the wrong glass (this was rectified immediately) Overall the experience was excellent and bridal suite ideal. (and a special thanks to Grant for all your help)

• Stayed August 2008
Martina Franca, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

We arrived fairly late on Saturday afternoon, and to our horror found not one but two wedding receptions ongoing. Our room was adjacent to one of these and despite a number of requests Reception would not relocate us. Their only responce was that the party would finish at midnight. IT DIDN'T.
If you have to stay here avoid Rooms 6, 7 & 8.
Other people have remarked on the sorry state of this hotel.
I spent an hour talkng to the local constabulary who were called to sort out problems between the two parties.
The carpets were still threadbare, firedoors blocked open and there was a rolled up carpet outside the bedroom 8 blocking the corridore.
AVOID THIS HOTEL.

• Liked — Restaraunt was average
  • Disliked — Dirty and noisy
  • Stayed August 2008

Travelers are raving about these Gretna Green hotels

North Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

We have just returned from our friend`s wedding and stayed for two nights at Gretna Hall Hotel (Saturday16th/Sunday 17th August).We view ourselves as mature seasoned travellers and are not particularly shocked at contrasting hotel standards found throughout the world but having read the reviews prior to this trip we were concerned for our friends happiness at selecting this venue for their wedding. How wrong one can be !!
Some of the comments expressed are indeed accurate and whilst I accept each individual has the right to "paint their own picture" please do not be put off by other people`s experiences. The carpets in the corridor and stairways are threadbare in places and have been repaired with crude black tape and the bar areas are in need of refurbishment but the hotel is an old, charming building that has many redeeming features. It is a very busy hotel that services several weddings each day and therefore there are a lot of people "coming and going",but this is Gretna Green for goodness sake what do people expect !! From the efficient welcome at reception to our pleasant surprise at the very comfortable bedroom we felt that the numerous negative comments could not be justified.Bar prices are typical of any hotel anywhere and with a pint of beer priced at £3.10 this is not unusual in any pub up and down the UK. The bar meals and food served at breakfast were very acceptable. This is not a luxury hotel but the friendliness and organisation of the busy staff more than made up for this. The Gretna Hall Hotel does NOT deserve the adverse comments expressed on this page.

• Liked — Charming,olde worlde
  • Disliked — Nothing to particularly dislike
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Northumberland UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

Stayed in August 2008 for two nights. Breakfasts were amazing, choice and good food. Rooms were very clean and tidy. Staff - some problems. Overhall the hotel was messy and carpets in places were thread bare and taped over seams. We were fancinated as there were about six brides about the hotel along with their guests!! Beautiful surroundings, Overhall at £60 per night per room full breakfast great value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — untidy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

We booked this hotel at short notice paying £115 for a family room with breakfast for two adults and two small children (5 & 3). We were first shown to a room with only a double and single before being moved to a double and bunk beds. The carpets as mentioned elsewhere are threadbare and held together with black tape, internet was only available as an extra, the TV was a fuzzy 14" portable with basic channels and the furniture was extremely dated and falling apart.

The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was good (although the breakfast staff seem barely able to cope and looked stressed).

Overall, this hotel appears to have had no money spent on it for about 20 years, it is not a patch on other hotels in Gretna and its only redeeming feature is the grounds and backdrop for photos.

• Liked — Outside view and grounds
  • Disliked — Dated, worn out, overpriced
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna Green
Hunters Lodge Hotel
Hunters Lodge Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gretna
The Gretna Chase Hotel

Been to Gretna Hall? Share your experiences!