“All the service seems to be focused toward the new restaurant and the bar/lounge area is neglected.”
Review of Aston Hotel - CLOSED

Aston Hotel
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had lunch in the lounge of this hotel in January and I really think the addition of the Wheelers restaurant has impacted on the service in the bar. The bar/lounge area is at the rear of the hotel and there were no signs for it. We only found it as we went looking for it and if you had never visited the hotel you would probably think the only food option was the new restaurant.

With regards to service, we barely saw any members of staff the whole time whereas when the bar are was near the restaurant there was always a member of staff on hand. We had to go and find someone to take our order who happened to be a supervisor, she gave us inaccurate information about the menu, said she would double check and get back to us and we never saw her again and had to find another member of staff to actually take the order.

We started with nachos which were incredibly small and then I had the seasonal roasted veg sandwich which was basically onions. However, my husband had the pie of the day which was really nice.

We also had to hunt down someone to bring the bill to us.

As we were leaving we saw all the waiting staff hanging around the restaurant area where there was just one table of two customers....by that time there as 3 or 4 tables in the lounge so surely more attention or some attention should be in that area.

1  Thank JoL186513

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a night For dinner bed and breakfast. The restaurant has had a refit since we last visited and looks better. The menu was improved too and the process have increased significantly. The steak £24 was disappointing and the price was an insult. The duck breast was lovely but the wine selection was poor. The staff in the restaurant were disorganised and explained some ridiculous rule about both of us having to order from the same menu (as opposed to one from the a la carte and one from the set menu?). Our Executive room was lovely and spacious, very quiet and the hotel staff were helpful and friendly. I can't say the same for the restaurant.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Laid out in the University of Dumfries grounds, this beautiful hotel is also home to Marco Pierre White's restaurant Wheelers.

The hotel is cosy, with modern rooms. The staff were exemplary: helpful, good-spirited and fun.

The food was good, well presented, excellent quality and generous.

My only minor criticism is the twitchy internet with coverage drops, multiple relogs and very low speeds. This particular problem seems to bewitch many hotels that I've stayed at though and, whilst annoying, it doesn't detract from the overall score.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Visited the Aston today for lunch with work colleagues . The menu appeared impressive ,the surroundings were lovely . However I ordered an open sandwich with smoked salmon . What arrived was three slices of plain white bread with a few leaves of rocket salad and smoked salmon with horseradish on top out of a jar .. I could have made better myself . My friend asked for the baguette with chicken and instead of pesto , cheese . The waitress who was cheerful and helpful said that she would ask but the kitchen staff were not in a good mood today . Well to our surprise experienced chefs were unable to accommodate her request . We ordered French fries with our order and they forgot to cook them . The restaurant was quiet so there was no excuse . Sorry doubt We will return .

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had a fantastic meal in the brand new restaurant opened recently by Marco Pierre White.
The staff were brilliant, could not do enough for us . I have gluten intolerance and they did everything possible to ensure that I enjoyed my meal . Nothing was a problem to them. We throughly enjoyed our meal. Well done to every one of the staff .