“Lesson Learnt”

Ranked #5 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Lesson Learnt”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Booked this hotel through Late Rooms.com to be called by the hotel more than 24hours later at 9.40pm at night to be told there was no room available. I was furious as Sam the person who called me was not even sure how I had booked the hotel as all she was given was my name and number and was asked to call and deliver the bad news. She asked me to call the next day and speak to another person who may know more information. I explained where I had booked the room and that I had a reservation number and all she could say was sorry there is no room available. How dissappointed was I with the whole experience. When I came off the phone I checked Late Rooms website to see that there was still rooms showing available it was then obvious that the hotel and Late rooms dont liase with each other on whats available. I will infutre phone a hotel direct to book accomodation and this is one hotel I wont even bother with in future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lorraineh186562

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were attending a friends sons wedding and staying one night whilst there.

We had a room on the top floor up several sets of stairs. The room itself was quite big with a shower and toilet in the bathroom. There was no wardrobe or drawer put clothes in. There was a clothes rail with hangers which was adequate for an overnight but may be an issue for a longer stay.

The function rooms downstairs were used by the wedding party with the function room with the bar being used as the dancing area. There was another function room through and adjoining door that allowed a quieter sit down and chat area.

For those of a mind to go for an early morning run or mountain bike the hotel is well placed as there are running and mountain biking trails.

I did a couple of mile through the forest trails on the Sunday morning which was very pleasant as the trees were changing colour etc. The terrain was quite challenging.

Breakfast in the morning was a heart Scottish breakfast and was very good and cooked well

I would recommend the Mabie house - it's a smaller hotel - we were in No 14 - for a short stay - any longer we'd probably want to 'unpack' our clothes

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went here with our friend at the beginning of October and had a superb lunch. We had main meals of scampi, chicken curry and the beer battered haddock. The dishes were all delicious and the real hand cut chips were a great touch and perfectly cooked. The chicken curry was really spicy however not too hot as to spoil it as i'm sure it would have suited most pallets. The beer battered haddock according to my friend was absolutely lovely as was my wife's scampi.

We all had sweets which were the meringue with ice cream and fresh fruits, the sticky toffee pudding and the Belgian waffle with maple syrup and walnuts and ice cream. These were great.

All in all this is a superb place to eat with really tasty dishes, a relaxed atmosphere and very reasonable prices. The service was very friendly.

Well worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Callum W
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My friends and I were booked in to the pods as we were cycling in Dumfries & Galloway over the weekend. The pods themselves were ideal for us and we were made very welcome in the main hotel............the food was fantastic, clean plates all round and washed down with a couple of drams!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for a family wedding in August which was a lovely occasion and great venue for an open air ceremony. However, upon leaving we didn't get a written bill (only a card receipt) and on the journey home realised we had been over charged. The error was quickly refunded but just worth keeping in mind if you stay at Mabie House.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim B
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Took my wife to Mabie House Hotel for lunch on Sunday. Traditional, old-style, oak-panelled dining room - very pleasant.

Starter: leek soup - very pleasant if just a tad too much salt.

Main course: I had the beer battered haddock! When it arrived the first thing I noticed was the colour of the batter - a fairly dark brown, in keeping with the oak panelling. On cutting into the fish I found that the batter was sliding on a slimy yellowy-beige substance similar to polenta. This I diagnosed as a mixture of un-cooked batter and cooking oil; further confirmed by the grey, translucent appearance of the fish (the thin, tail end) - obviously cooked in oil far too hot so the outside was overdone and the inside virtually raw.

The waitress handled the matter in a competent, apologetic manner and took my plate to the kitchen. She returned to inform me that "the chef says that's how she always cooks it!!!!!" - says it all, doesn't it.

I was given the offer to chose something else - but, really, I felt that if this was her normal manner of cooking, then anything else could be risky - so I declined and, after we left, went to Morrison's and purchased items for my lunch!

My wife's meal (roast beef etc) was not too bad - apart from the Yorkshire pudding which has the appearance of a very large, dark grey truffle and rather tough to chew.

We've given it a try and learned our lesson!!

Room Tip: I don't know about the rooms as we only ate there (well one of us did) but as for the food in th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed in a family room nice and clean. Friendly staff and amazing food. Lovely setting for walks in the Forrest. Our dog was made very welcome. We recommend the scallops if they are on the menu -we went to the restaurant on a separate visit to Scotland and we will be staying at this hotel again in the near future.
Thanks for a lovely stay can't wait to come again.

Room Tip: Try to get a front facing room as the rear looks onto bins view from front stunning though
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family