“Fantastic B&B, very comfortable, good food, friendly service and cheap!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rivendell B&B

Rivendell B&B
Ranked #8 of 52 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B, very comfortable, good food, friendly service and cheap!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed for two nights here in October 2012 and it was very pleasant. Really great, friendly staff, excellent breakfast, comfortable and large rooms and for single occupancy of a double room it was only £35 / night. Couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

C Farrell & K Bell

We have been staying at Rivendell since it opened 10 years ago. We travel around Scotland every year and a stay in this superb establishment is always an automatic inclusion in our plans. Bruce has looked after us and on occasion, elderly family members accompanying us, and all that he provides is of the highest possible quality. The style and taste of the interior of this beautiful property is an indication of the high level of service available to guests. I think by now we have experienced every room and each one is as beautiful as the rest. The rooms are comfortable and stylish, breakfasts are delicious, the whole experience is one of true welcome. We don't consider any other accommodation during our visits to Dumfries as we have always stayed here - in the best one on offer!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Picked up Rivendell house from Tourist info brochure and booked with no fuss 20 mins before arrival. Room clean, warm, welcoming and atmospheric due to the Rennie McIntosh style. Slept like a log in the 4 poster with en suite facilities A1. Bruce proved to be an excellent host, providing us with a terrific breakfast after which he more than obliged with a historic commentary on the house. No hesitation to book again should we be on another of our seven stanes adventures.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My partner & I stayed at Rivendell for 8 days recently & had an absolutely wonderful time. Our room was really comfortable, clean & well equipped. The Scottish Breakfast was excellent & got my partner into loving porridge - although she only managed half portions. It's a fairly short walk into the centre of Dumfries & really easy to manage in about 15/20 minutes. There is an excllent pub in town for evening meals called The Caven Arms & the Italian restaurant across from Rivendell was also impressive. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time & would'nt hesitate to stay again - in fact we'll certainly pay Bruce & his staff another visit sometime. For the record, we're a couple in our 50's. !

Room Tip: Rooms to the front, on the first floor are gernerous & spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was visiting a friend in the area and only needed to stay one night .I had a great room at back of property no 6 on ground floor a very well equipped room a four poster bed large flat screen tv, tea and coffee.Shower/bath room was to a very high standard a lovely room over all . The breakfast was great.I was recommended to stay here by my brother who stayed at rivendell a few years ago, people very friendly i will stay here again as i come to dumfries quite a lot to play golf

Room Tip: i was only in room 6 and it was fantastic
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed only one night at Rivendell in late August as we were on our way to Inverness to see our family. The house, locally known as the "haunted house" has been rescued by the current owner and restored to a very high standard in keeping with Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The welcome we received was wonderful the room, downstairs no 6, was next to the dining room for breakfast. Breakfast is ordered the night before and at a time that you request (withing their serving time) and was really lovely. My husband and I would have no doubts whatsoever in recommending the Rivendell to anyone. Hope to go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: We only stayed on night in room 6 downstairs which was at the back of the property away from the roa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had the pleasure of being allocated (work related) 2 nights at the Rivendell Bed and Breakfast, Guest House, Edinburgh Road, Dumfries.

I can honestly say that I felt that I had been given the golden egg. As far as I am concerned everything was 5 star plus, I cannot remember being catered for to such a high standard in any other B&B, Guest House or Hotel.

The room was decorated to a high standard, on suite, TV and coffee facilities all at hand. The shower was powerful and bed was extremely comfortable along with the blackout curtains I really struggled to get out of bed.

The breakfast had a considerable choice from the usual fry up, cereal, yoghurt, orange juice, toast and coffee. I really had to be careful not to over indulge.

I also had the pleasure of visiting Casa Mia for evening dinner an arrangement between the Rivendell and Casa Mia.

As I say 5 star and I am so looking forward to any furrther training courses that will require and overnight stay.

Room Tip: I was allocated room 4, would recommend however have no knowledge of other rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business