“slack management”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed April 13, 2014

A family trip of ten folk to Aston Hotel, Dumfries, was set back by needing three requests to get some beer in the bar , a total delay in serving of over 1 and a quarter hours, served only at the third reminder. Also problems with bill as trainees or young staff left in hotel at 11pm. No management senior or experienced saff in hotel that night. Nice hotel marred by bad management, maybe the new chain which will take over will do differently.

Room Tip: No real difference in the five rooms used by our familly
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for your review. I am very surprised to read that it took over an hour to receive one round of drinks. I was not made aware of any issues that specific night and I will certainly be investigating further as this seems a hugely excessive time.
Regardless of age, our staff team are fully trained on the their respective areas and we always have a senior team presence. Although billing issues are not wholly uncommon they can be resolved fairly easily and I will also look into this further.

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with details of your experience.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a large wedding party. First impressions were good. Reception was fine ,room was tidy and clean enough.Problems started at the breakfast table,There was no staff,one woman on her own.Breakfast tables were piled high with dirty dishes,no cutlery to be had anywhere. We had to wait our own tables.Went to reception nobody there,called the number left at the desk (rang for an age before being answered) asked for more staff in the restaurant only to be told that 3 staff had called in sick and were doing the best we can . After a long empty silence the line went dead. What happened next was like something out of a Monty Python sketch.People appeared with suits (They looked like office staff)Totally inept at running a kitchen ,brought through 4 eggs for a queue of 8 people.It just went from bad to worse as people milled about looking for tables,plates and cutlery.My wife asked for a glass only to be handed a bowl type with a tea light in it ???.Table cloths were stained and dirty from previous diners.Not great at all. The following morning was slightly better but still really poor.Expected a lot more for a £100 a night hotel, not impressed at all.The food when we got it was lovely though. Personally I wont be back

Room Tip: Rooms that we were in were identical to other family members. If you want a bit of a view then I wou...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank David M

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I would very much like this to be one of those occasions where a reviewer is elaborating somewhat to make a point but the analogy used is not too far from the reality on this occasion.

We had a very abnormal number of staff shortages that morning and whilst the back up team were called in Breakfast was run by myself, my Head Housekeeper and a receptionist. We tried our very best to get everybody served properly and by and large the guests I spoke to were happy to see that we were working hard to do so. All in all this was as far removed from our usual standard as possible and I am very sorry it affected you in this way.

I am pleased to see that you rated us highly on room cleanliness and general standards across the property.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

The hotel is rather pleasant; our room was nicely decorated and very clean. I had bought a voucher for stay from Itison and so didn't pay very much for our stay. The food was also just gorgeous: plentiful, hot and tasty. However where all of this falls down is the way the hotel is managed- we should have had a bottle of prosecco in our room but it was missing. We called down for it at 5.50pm and finally tracked it down at 8.15pm. The room was double booked and so we had to be moved. We had one towel for the two of us and we ordered a paper and didn't get it. Now all of this is just niggly things really- the staff were so lovely and highly apologetic which they needed to be as so many fellow customers were not happy and complained regularly. If I had paid the full price, I would have been rather annoyed. The staff are clearly left to just fight the good fight and manage as they can- there were still posters for a Mother's Day deal on the walls and we stayed in April. So, nice food, pleasant staff and room, all poorly managed.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Robin T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Good evening,

Thank you foe taking the time to provide us with your feedback. The areas you highlight may very well be 'niggles' but it is very disappointing to read that we did not deliver on the basics. We do have a supervisory presence in the hotel at all times and I hope that these situations were remedied if we were given the opportunity to do so.

I am pleased to read that we did deliver on man areas of your stay and sorry that the overall enjoyment was hampered by smaller issues.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

On arrival the receptionist was friendly and efficient. We got to our room and unpacked. The room was very clean with a great view but fairly basic given it was supposed to be one of their best. There was a card which advised to get ice you had to call the brasserie and it gave you the number. After calling for 20 minutes I gave up and decided to take the ice bucket and get my own. I went downstairs to the bar but after waiting 10 minutes for someone to come and serve me I helped myself and went back to my room. The worse thing about the room was the bed. In thirty years of travelling I have never come across a bed so soft and uncomfortable. Neither of us could sleep and both took turns each on the sofa. In the morning we were told all the beds were the same so we could either check out or put up with it for another night. As we did not have time to find another hotel we had to live with it. Breakfast was good with a fair choice. We did not like commercial radio playing in the var at night, siting listening to the same adverts over and over did not create any kind of pleasant atmosphere. Also returning to the bar after a terrible experience in wheelers which I will review separately were told by the barman he would be back in five minutes to take our order but after twenty minutes we gave up and went to bed.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank sauzee092

Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Although I value personal opinion greatly it is very rare for me to respond to an issue with our mattress quality - these are very often highlighted as a feature of the hotel with King Sized beds in all rooms which are generally regarded as very comfortable. I am sorry that they were not to your standard however.

I will investigate why you were not able to find any staff member either by telephone or in person - our food and beverage areas are staffed all day, every day and this seems an excessive amount of time for there to be no presence whatsoever and I am sorry if this was the case.

I would be keen to ascertain if any of the issues you had were raised during check out or with a member of the senior team and if we were given the opportunity to discuss these with you, what was done to remedy the situation?

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have stayed at the Aston Hotel on several occasions and returned there again recently, on a package for a three night stay. There have been some changes. The check-in desk has been moved and the dining area extended and revamped, both of which are improvements. The biggest change was the branding given to the dining area: the chef, Marco Pierre White, now has his portrait in cartoon form festooned round the walls of the dining room. Despite this self-publicity we thought the food was disappointing and not as good on our previous visits.
The evening meal on the set menu provided a smaller choice than previously and now excludes a dessert course in the price. Since we find three courses is often too much for us this was not a major issue but we were surprised to find that on the first and third evenings we had to pay an extra £2.95 for vegetables. However, on the Sunday night, which was Mother's Day, the vegetables were included in the price.
The food seemed unadventurous and more bland, in terms of taste, than before and the roast lamb was dry and tasteless while the Yorkshire pudding was over cooked and brittle. Previously, a roll and butter were provided with the starter but these were offered on only one evening of our latest visit. The breakfast was also less impressive than previously, with no croissants being provided.
There seemed to be a lack of any overall supervision in the dining room, leading to many mistakes. This was possibly made worse by an apparent shortage of staff on occasions. On one occasion, after asking for water we had to remind the staff twice before it was brought to the table. Similarly when we had scones on arrival, as part of the package, we had to remind the staff of our order. We were rarely offered sugar with our coffee and on one occasion we were not asked about our choice of drinks for breakfast. Another time, the server left me with two starter dishes instead of handing one to my wife and walked off saying "enjoy". There was a mistake with the bill on one evening when we were charged for the food even though we had said we were on a DBB package.
On another evening we each ordered a glass of wine, of two different types, and these were brought by a different server who didn't ask which wine was for whom. Instead, he put a glass in front of each of us and walked off. Perhaps inevitably, he guessed wrong and gave each of us the wine for the other person. One day, on returning to the hotel at 6pm, we were initially told that the only time we could have a table for dinner was at 6.15. After some debate, we negotiated a time of 8.15 pm and were surprised when we arrived at that time to find that there were a good many empty tables. Other signs of poor supervision or lack of training were a lack of plates for the toast at breakfast, dirty crockery and on one occasion at breakfast there were three black specks floating in a milk jug.
There were no menus or information about the hotel or meal times in the bedroom and no biscuits on the tea tray in the room. These had been provided on our previous visits.
The staff were friendly but need more management to avoid the errors which we experienced, in contrast to our previous visits. When we checked in, the form we were asked to sign showed only one person staying in the room not two. Probably as a result of this there was only one towel and one shower gel provided, although this was quickly remedied when we asked for more.
The bedroom was clean, comfortable and spacious and the location of the hotel is excellent both in terms of its access into Dumfries and its position in the attractive grounds of the Crichton estate.
There are clearly a variety of issues which require attention and the food, despite the PR associated with a prominent chef, was less impressive than on our previous visits. Would we go back? Possibly, but without the same enthusiasm as before.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rah14

Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. I am pleased to read that we continued to deliver on a number of areas but this is overshadowed of course by your disappointing dining experience. We have a new Food and Beverage Manager on board and have undertaken a wholesale review of standards and staffing level across the board resulting in a significant increase in recruiting in recent weeks and I have no doubt we are already beginning to see the benefits of this.

I do hope you raised the issues you experienced with one fo our senior team and that these were remedied for you at the time.

I look forward to welcoming you back to experience the service and quality we are more accustomed to delivering.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed the weekend 21st March with a large group friends for wedding. A fabulous time was had by all. The rooms where spacious, plenty of storage & equipped with Tea/coffee facilities. The beds super comfy, and the shower was very refreshing. The staff were very helpful & friendly, especially Hannah who had only been with the company a very short while, she was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble, she was working some very long hours and always greeted us with a friendly smile. This was my first visit to Scotland and would not hesitate to return, the hotel and grounds where spotless, and the wedding service across at the Crichton church was just perfect, I loved the added touch of the horse & carriage with the addition of the Bag Piper and the traditional Scottish dancing on the evening, The whole weekend was just perfect with good company good food and excellent service & surroundings, enjoyed the walk into the town on the Sunday before our journey back home. would definitely recommend this hotel to friends & family, Thank You to all the staff & management at The Aston Dumfries....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank misspiggy40

Good evening,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us - we are very lucky to host some stunning weddings on The Crichton Estate and they are always memorable occasions to look after. Despite weddings being a very busy day for all concerned I am pleased you had the opportunity to appreciate the hospitality we look to provide to all our guests.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Read the reviews before we went was not expecting to much, was pleasantly surprised, we stayed in room 115, big room,even bigger & comfy bed, fantastic shower, very clean, food excellent & plenty of it, breakfast very good as well, staff pleasan& very attentive, our stay 31/03/2014

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank pusskas
Mel D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Many thanks for taking time to write a review in your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay at the hotel & enjoyed every aspect of the hotel. I have passed your comments to my team and they are delighted you enjoyed you stay.

I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Best Western Station Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!