“Astonishingly good value at the Aston Hotel”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dumfries
ayrshire
“Astonishingly good value at the Aston Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here for one night, Dinner, Bed and Breakfast and had a great time.

The grounds are simply stunning with manicured lawns decorated with the prettiest trees and right in the middle a glorious church to complete the most picturesque scene.

The hotel is housed in a beautiful red sandstone building but the bedrooms are located in a bizarre modern extension which in my opinion is truly ugly on the outside but once inside, our bedroom was clean, comfortable and more than adequate for the travellers’ needs. We also had the added bonus of a lovely view of the church and gardens.

We had dinner in the Marco Pierre White restaurant, our expectations were high and we were not disappointed, the ambience was intimate and romantic, the food was beautifully presented and delicious, the staff were very pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable and we had very nice evening.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic but eventually we were fed and happy. I would have rated the hotel higher if it had not been for the fact that it was understaffed in both the bar and restaurant areas.

I would highly recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: room 119 had a lovely view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank weecat20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
north-east england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed overnight for a special occasion and were thrilled with this place.

While I can see some people's points that you're not staying in the old building, the new part is smart, purpose-built and well decorated. Our room was big and very clean, with a HUGE bed. Our bathroom was also very well designed and decorated.

Some nice little touches like water, iron and ironing board, went down well.

The staff were wonderful. Lovely check-in and check-out and all the cleaning staff greeted us on passing.

Highly recommended.

2 Thank redhead49
Chapelhall, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Aston on a DBB offer with Prosecco much the same as others . I have stayed there loads of times so I know how great this hotel can be. This time however we couldn't get a dinner time to suit . Either 6.30 or 9 pm. The one too early the other too late. We took the later and dearly wish we hadn't. The table wasn't ready and then the girl took ages before our orders were taken. When she took our orders she was clearly rushing and we really didn't feel special at all. We had to wait ages for starters or even our drinks orders. The food was really nice but eating so late , we really didn't enjoy it. The staff were under far too much pressure. Not a nice experience. The breakfast experience wasn't any better. The earlier poster mentioned a long wait for breakfast. That's true . We were shepherded into the Elizabeth room to wait for tables. The staff were really nice , so much more so than in the restaurant the night before. This hotel isn't doing any favours by prioritising this restaurant. The staff were apologising all the time. And it's true a very small bottle of shower gel between two doesn't go very far . You certainly can't both shower morning and evening. If I hadn't been going for a while I don't think I would go back. Even the rooms don't have leaflets to advertise anything the hotel has to offer. No lunch or dinner menus available . Quite insane really . It's being changed to a Holiday Inn from June so goodness knows what will happen . Hope it isn't too corporate or I won't be back either

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Elspeth D
Earby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We decided to have a night away and could not have picked a better place, the hotel was in a stunning location with the university buildings around. We booked an evening meal which was delicious and very reasonably priced, the rooms were very comfortable and the staff friendly. All in all a very relaxing break.

2 Thank Kathy R
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I am going to cover this in stages as, as per the title of our review, the bad points were pretty bad, but the good points were really good!

On arrival I feel its difficult not to be disappointed..all of the pictures etc that we reviewed were of a beautiful old building, which is generally quite misleading. Don't get me wrong, it is there and it is beautiful, but that's not where we stayed. We stayed in the the adjoining Travel Lodge type average modern building hidden around the back..(first bad point). See picture above for proof of this!

Anyway, the receptionist was lovely (1st good point!), she showed us to our room but I was advised that I would need to book a table for dinner in the restaurant as their systems were down (not really a bad point..cant be helped).

What could be helped was me going to the restaurant to be told there was no tables, despite confirming that we would have a table for dinner and being surrounded by no other options. I had this conversation with who I can only assume was the restaurant manager who in the end gave us a table at 8:45. I was told "we only have tables for our 'Dinner, bed and breakfast' guests". Sorry, but no. We are paying for a room in the hotel and should be prioritized with everyone else. If there was a problem with space then you should have made us aware of this beforehand (second bad point..and I am not even in the room yet!).

So...we get to the room. Its clean and "comfortable" (see later point). Everything is fine until we open the bathroom door..the bathroom was very clean, but there was an overpowering smell of drains..! The shower cubicle was the culprit, obviously something wrong with the plumbing! By this point I felt like a Moaning Minnie so decided to just try and shower the smell away, which worked..back to happy. (3rd bad point)

So, we get ready and go down for dinner, at 8:45..by which point I could eat a scabby dog. We get downstairs and our table isn't ready, so we get ushered to the bar. Barman was brilliant, nice wine too! (good and bad there..you decide!).

Our table was ready just after 9pm, a nice table! We were given menu's and advised of the specials..only then to be ignored for (what felt like an hour, but was probably about 15 mins). Not even a drinks order was taken..someone then came over for our food order, so we just ordered everything at once..(4th bad point!).

So...the food came and was AMAZING. 5 stars for food, no complaints at all there!! (2nd good point). Waitresses were lovely and friendly! Let down a little bit by them having sectioned off half of the restaurant for a private function..not very private it turns out. They were so loud all we could here was them..they ended up getting a bit out of hand and I think someone did at one point tell them to shut it. Didn't seem to do much...I am pretty sure "Private Functions" should be in Function Rooms for that very reason. Not the worst ever, but just ruined the atmosphere a bit..(I've now lost count of the bad points).

So, dinner came and went..along with having to queue at the bar to pay the bill as no one came over to us or anyone else to take payment.

We went back to the room, went to go to sleep....but no. The pillows were like speed bumps. Absolutely horrendous. It was like someone had stuffed them with bricks!! We had to bunch up the duvet to get some sleep! By this point it was getting a little hilarious. So, staying in the drain room on the brick pillows we slept. Kinda. (118 by the way for the pillow check!!)

In the morning we got up, went down for breakfast to be told there was no tables. The waitresses were having to, what I can only describe as "herd" guests into the bar to wait. Ridiculous. When we did get a table there was no plates at the buffet and we were greeted by another very angered guest who has asked for plates a while before.

Once plated we had breakfast..it was lovely..!! GOOD POINT!! YEAY!

That's about it. Sorry for the essay! But I have never had such a roller-coaster ride of a one night stay!!!

One point to note is that there was a wedding party over the weekend which I assume totally knocked the hotel staff and facilities completely off kilter..

But, if you advertise "dream weddings"..you need to be able to facilitate them along with your other guests.

We encountered a lot of frustrated guests over our stay, with the same problems as us..so its not just us being moany! We aren't moany people!!

Would we stay again? No.
Would we recommend it? No. Definitely not if there's a wedding on!

I would like to state that the General Manager is brilliant, really friendly and very good at his job! The staff in general were good! Let down by, well, all of the above.

Room Tip: If you get room 118, take your own pillows!
3 Thank KatieKateWilson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Dear KatieKateWilson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. It's nice to hear that you like the service received during check in and found the food selections to be good. However, I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced due to the service you encountered at our hotel restaurant, bathroom facility and pillow condition. We truly value the comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and we look forward to welcoming you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from Holiday Inn.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

we bought the voucher for prosseco and two night stay and two course dinner and breakfast. When we arrived in room prosseco on table not chilled and two tumblers. My husband went looking for ice while I unpacked. We decided to head to the bar for a drink as the wine was no chilled, but we waited a while for someone to serve us. We eventually got served but the wine was warm, but the girl had to go to the resturaunt bar to get more. We went to book table and were told the latest time we could have was 6.45 (we wanted a later time) when we arrived it was not busy but to be told thhat one of the starters was off the menu goats cheese and beetroot. I was soooo dissapointed as we thought we were getting a marco meal of some sort, but we had to choose from a basic menu, not much choice. My main course was salmon and crushed potatoes with a bernaisse sauce it was luke warm and the skin was slimy on top. I left half but was not asked if I enjoyed it, then i could have made a comment. The staff were not attentive, we decided to go back to our room so we asked if they had cheese and biscuits, and they said ok, after 20 mins we both headed towards the staff and asked if we were getting it, they brought out three plates each, one with cheese and the other with oatcakes and one for putting our pieces on It was a bit of a juggle. My husband then informed me that we were charged £9.90 EACH I was horrified, because when we struggled back to our room I noticed I could have had it sent to my room at a charge of £5.95 In the morning I mentioned it to head waitress and i said I was not happy, so she said she would fix it, well great she did , but never told us, we had to wait on final bill to see what was taken off. Also very poor 1 bottle of shower gel and a wee soap. But the room was lovely and clean and spacious and breakfast was fine. Well been done it never again oh and those horrible ripped leather table covers were awful.

1 Thank Alexis M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The new extension for this old hotel has been built in the Crichton hospital grounds which is really lovely though bit unsure about the blue new building they have been granted planning permission in the middle of beautiful red sandstone old buildings.
Hotel is quite small is quite a bit outside centre of Dumfries but definitely worth staying in. The food was lovely but there was not enough staff or tables for breakfast in the morning. There is no bar to sit and relax in

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Station Hotel
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 8 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!