“The good and the bad. SORRY”

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
scotland
“The good and the bad. SORRY”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We recently booked a short break at this hotel. We were quite excited at first when we first entered our room. It was clean and very well presented with very large bed. However we were most disappointed when we made our way to the lovely restuarant and looked at the menu to find most of the food on offer did not come with the usual pot of tea nor did you get your potaoes and veg. served with some of the dishes.The meals were presented with a lot of artistic impression, but i am sorry to say the overall taste of the majority of food was not to the same high standard of the artistic detail. They ran out of some very basic items from the menu. Our overall view was the restuarant let this lovely hotel down. And if you are looking for some good old fashioned food this is not the place to stay.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank ScotlandMegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Have just returned from this hotel after an overnight stay.

Our room was lovely , even if the bathroom smelt of damp, but you couldn't smell it when the door was shut. It , along with the bedroom was really clean , and the bed was so comfortable and HUGE. Wonderful.

The reception staff let it down unfortunately. When we booked in the staff were talking amongst selves , and didn't come right away, and were a bit less than tactless, but not nastily. Just a bit of customer service needed i think .
The restaurant was nice and cosy , and the menu contained alot of good selections. but the brie was warm, not hot and the chutney had obviously been left under a heated element as it was dried out . , Salmon was really greasy , however it had been done and the steak , though we asked for medium rare was well done . Snobby ? No , we are very fair.

Breakfast was lovely however and service was ok . It wsn't a cheap night away , and the chef let it down , but the breakfast chef was alot better . The room made up for it.

The hotel is in lovely grounds and is ideal if you are attending a wedding at Royla Chrichton Church.

Overall , i would definately return , but on a bed and breakfast board.

2 Thank happycamperGlasgow
North Somerset
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I read all the reviews on this hotel and decided I would give it a try.
I phoned the hotel to check on my parking query then booked on line to get a rate of £75 for bed and breakfast midweek.
The hotel called me back a few days later to check if I wanted the room made up as a double or twins and the lady I spoke to was friendly and gave a personal touch to what can often be seen as a form ticking experience.

The hotel is less than 2 miles from the centre of Dumfries and is easily found by following the signs to the hospital or The Crichton.

On arrival I was soon checked in and had a room on the first floor which looked out over the lawns and trees of the estate.
The room was clean with all the usual amenities but, best of all, free WiFi access with excellent signal. The bed was amongst the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
The bathroom had a shower but no bath, with plenty of hot water at 630am

I came down for breakfast at 7am. It was a self service buffet type with the usual selections and I was pleased to find they also offered a very tasty haggis.
Tea and toast was brought to the table.

I had a meal in the restaurant on my second night and thought it was very good value, pea and mint soup followed by Perthshire lamb with creamed potato and mixed vegetables for £17.75. It was easily the best meal I have eaten in a restaurant for the two and a half months I've been away on tour.

Magners bottled cider was £3.50 a pint which was also reasonable when compared with other restaurants and pubs.

The atmosphere in the hotel was relaxed with a mix of business people and holiday makers, with some locals as well.

The staff I met were all friendly and especially the staff who kept me entertained at the bar before and after my meal!

Highly recommended and I would have no hesitation in booking again.

• Liked — Free Wi Fi, friendly staff, Dinner and breakfast
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything apart from no bath?!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank carpetcone
Lancashire
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Modern hotel is lovely quiet location, 1 mile from town (£3 taxi). On an esteate with plenty of walking areas
Friendly staff, spacious room, spotless with fab shower, largest and most comfortable king size bed I have ever slept in.
Didn't use the restaurant except for breakfast, which was spot on, and yes got toast
Free WiFi. Overall excellent!!!!
Upgraded to executive room but at £89 inc breakfast, best hotel value for years.
I will be back!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlRobi
England
Reviewed April 25, 2008

The hotel is nice - on site of old hospital for mentally impaired. It is impressive until something goes wrong. We had endless problems which were not resolved. In our opinion, the immaculately dressed manager did not appear to be interested in discussing our concerns either at the time we complained, the next morning or when we checked out. In our opinion he was trying to avoid us. We eventually (after some difficulty managed to speak to him when we returned home). When we eventually tracked him down in our opinion, he was not prepared to do anything to restore our confidence in the hotel, and we think was quite happy to lose our custom as a consequence. We were very disappointed by what we believe was the genuine lack of customer service and the apathy towards whether or not we would return. Don't be fooled as we were by the visible presence of the manager... as when required to act we think that he failed to do anything. Image is everything.... until a problem arises

• Liked — Nice modern rooms
  • Disliked — Problems in rooms not attended to; general apathy of manager despite best endeavours of staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank IngaSimp
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2008

I stayed at the Aston for one night in early April 2008 (business trip).

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The Aston Hotel is very bright, modern and comfortable. The room was extremely well appointed, with lovely fixtures and fittings, and a HUGE double (King-sized? Emperor-sized?!!) bed. The bathroom was excellent too: very bright spacious and modern.

The one thing that let the Aston down somewhat was breakfast in the restaurant: the pot of tea was served cold, toast likewise. Also, the tables weren’t cleaned away as quickly as they could have been. And tables were re-set without having been fully cleaned for the next guest/s. The impression I got was that the restaurant was understaffed; there appeared to be only two waiting staff on the morning I was there, and this seemed to be the reason for the poor service. This took the edge off an otherwise excellent stay.

Overall, however, and despite the restaurant failings, at £69 p.n. B+B, the Aston provides great value for money, and as such is to be recommended.

• Liked — room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
england
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We booked this Hotel through Easy Breaks,got a great rate for Dinner B&B for three nights. Bedrooms are in a smart new wing at the back of the old sandstone main building. Superb Room,6ft wide comfortable double bed. Quality toiletries and tea tray. Great Power Shower . Excellent evening meals and great breakfasts. Good service. Would recommend this hotel,ask for a room looking over the gardens,stunning views on that side. DBB rate good value.

• Liked — Power Shower ,Free Wi Fi
  • Disliked — nothing everything was excellent
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Best Western Station Hotel
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!