“A very pleasant mini break location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Dumfries

Holiday Inn Dumfries
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dumfries
Scotland
“A very pleasant mini break location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We spent a night of D, B & B at the Aston and were pleasantly surprised at the hotel and setting. Although living quite locally I had not realised what a lovely spot the Crichton University Campus (where the hotel is located) was! Lured by the promise of Marco Pierre White inspired dinner we set off. The Hotel itself is very modern and the rooms were excellent. Our room had a large bath tub and a generous walk in shower, king sized bed and was a great place for a good night's sleep. The bar, set in the older part of the complex is a bit underwhelming for the size of hotel and was both under staffed and rather thin on choice if you favour real beer or whisky! Dinner in the very busy restaurant was excellent. Although the menu was perhaps not as daring as you might imagine from the billing, my Scallop starter on Cauliflower puree with crisped pancetta, Roasted belly pork and butter beans and apple charlotte (delicious) clove ice cream and caramel sauce were all pretty much spot on. The wine list was reasonably priced and nicely varied and the wine came at perfect temperature too. Breakfast, although buffet style for all items, was also excellent. The breakfast service was very busy and it was nice to see the chefs at the hot food bar every couple of minutes topping up eggs, bacon etc. I could have done with mushrooms too and the DIY toast, butter and poor quality of marmalades etc rather let the otherwise excellent side down! All in all a great location on a lovely campus and all of our party (6) thoroughly enjoyed their stay and food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade when you book. Very reasonable if they are not busy. Also ask for a parkland...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank HiFli
Robin T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. I warmly welcome all reviews but those who give an overview of all aspects of the stay are particularly useful for both the hotel and fellow travelers.

You may have already read my invitation to others to post their dining review on our dedicated Marco Pierre White 'Wheelers' page to share with us and fellow readers? I am very interested in the view that the menu may have been more 'daring'. Despite his illustrious career Marco's Wheeler's restaurants offer very much 'back to roots' dishes but that said we do want our dining experience to be memorable so there is perhaps a discussion to be had with Marco's team and our Head Chef.

It is always nice to have what we feel is a fantastic value breakfast highlighted in a review. Too often the breakfast is a poor relation in comparison to other food and beverage offerings in a hotel and I am very fortunate to have a team committed to delivering quality in the morning. That said, we are reviewing breakfast at the moment to see where we may make further improvements.

Each of our rooms should have a new edition of 'Whats Going On' in Dumfries and Galloway so my apologies of this was not the case and our Front Desk team are always on hand with suggestions. Having only very recently moved from Edinburgh it took me a while to know about 'the disc' and it was my friendly postman who advised me. We will certainly look at ways of improving this small but vital detail.

Best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Been visiting Dumfries for many years and this is our favourite hotel. Stayed for two days since changed to wheelers restaurant and were very impressed. Good quality and value. Staff as always pleasant and helpful. Will be back soon.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank colettentaylor
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am of course delighted we continue to deliver on service and make us your 1st choice for staying in Dumfries. It is always interesting to have a 'before' and 'after' view of the new restaurant and I would be very grateful if you posted about your experience on our dedicated 'Wheelers' page on Trip Advisor. The restaurant and kitchen team do read them all!

I look forward to welcoming you back,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

My lovely partner, now fiance, booked this hotel through it is on as a surprise weekend away. He upgraded us to a suite which was lovely. Great rooms and the grounds are beautiful too. The 1920s rock garden at the back of the hotel is beautiful.
Anyway, 1st night - had a meal with it is on voucher - lovely haggis balls and whisky sauce, enjoyed the steak and scallops afterwards too.
Hate to say, service was not the best. Very slow and not looking overly busy. Saw a lot of people left waiting to pay.
2nd night, we'd just got engaged, the restaurant manager looked after us so well, lovely lady! Gave us a fantastic table next to the fire, brought us a couple of glasses of free champagne, and we got the bottle of laurent perrier rose wine for the same price as the cheaper ones as they had ran out of the £35 bottles. We couldn't believe it.
Lovely meal once again. Although I can't quite pin point exactly what was missing, but I expected a little more from the Marco Pierre White Wheelers restaurant, although the food was reasonably priced at the same time.

Overall a great experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank snowyowl_1989
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As with all reviewers I would like to invite you to write a further review on our dedicated Wheeler's page on Trip Advisor. Although we did not deliver as we should have it would be remiss of me if I only asked our excellent reviewers to do so as we always seek a balanced and fair response for us to act upon.

All in all I am very pleased you enjoyed the stay as a whole. We have recently installed a new Food and Beverage manager to oversee operations and have been working on increasing the staff compliment to ensure we are properly equipped for busy nights.

As a manager it is never ideal to run out of anything but far less ideal to think a customer should pay the price for our errors - A small price to pay if the end result is your satisfaction.

we were tempted to put on a more comprehensive Burns Night event but I was very much aware that we are very much in what could be considered the Burns capital of the world with many illustrious and much larger Burns events planned in the community. Instead we decided to do what we do best and offer a homage to Burns on a plate. That said, watch this space as next year we may indeed offer a fuller programme.

With best wishes,
dumfries
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed with a friend on the 1st Feb, the room was lovely although I missed having a bath in the room. Personal preference I know . The beds lovely and comfortable.. had good sleep but morning after the night before all you want is good breakfast and here is where the hotel let itself down, firstly everything run out and several of us had to wait a good 10 minutes for food and still not everything came out. The toast machine was poor like the ones you get abroad that take forever and only toasts one side! There were no plates and crumbs everywhere I had to ask for a plate. Also no one came and asked us if we wanted tea or coffee, again we had to ask, this isn't the service I expected from a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank holidayqueen62
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am concerned that you stayed with the impression that we are a 4 star hotel as we are not. If you could contact me directly indicating where you saw this I can take appropriate with whichever source has indicated we are.

That said we should be offering a far better service than you experienced. In general, our breakfast is very well regarded and the morning in question has already been raised by the team itself and we re-worked our procedures to ensure we were prepped for all eventualities. Over and above this we are reviewing all of our breakfast offering currently to see where further improvements can be made.

Irvine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at the hotel Thursday and Friday night, the deal we had was db&b on the 1st night and b&b on the 2nd night. The hotel was nice and the room was modern and clean with all the facilities you would expect. We were really looking forward to our dinner at the marco pierre White restaurant but this was quite a disappointment as the food wasn't up to the standard we were expecting. I ordered the scallops to start which were the smallest scallops I have ever seen, and they were overcooked, they were certainly not worth £8.50. My husband tried to order the fois gras and was told that this was no longer on the menu. He then ordered the potted duck terrine which was too cold to be spead onto his bread. The main course was nice but to be honest not really anything to write home about. On our 2nd night we ate out at a restaurant called Hullabaloo which was excellent and one of the best meals we have had out in a while. We would stay at this hotel again and we had a lovely time in Dumfries, however I wouldn't eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 984Chris
Erskine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We booked a two night stay through a voucher site as I was very keen to try the restaurant. The hotel is situated on a lovely estate not far from the town, the building is part old and part modern, reception was very pleasant and quickly dealt with our booking, we chose to upgrade and found our room large with a seating area, desk, good sized television,large very comfortable bed, well fitted bathroom with bath and separate shower, bottled water but a sparse hospitality tray, another downside was the chilly room which did not heat up over the two days so we had to do go to the lounge to get warmed up. The lounge is well fitted with comfortable seating and a small bar, drink prices are on par with most hotels. We dined in the new Wheelers of St James restaurant and chose the menu devised by Marco Pierre White my husband started with Cullen skink and did NOT find any fish in it just a weakly flavoured broth, I chose the scallops with cauliflower purée what a let down ,the very fancy tile came with three part scallops the size of my pinky nail and enough purée to fill a teaspoon at £8.50 a go this is a rip off, our main courses fared a bit better, the governors pie was good the turnip purée not, the chips were good but cost extra, the fish and chips was fine but the mushy peas was awful ,all in a bit hit and miss. The second night we chose the table d'hôte menu which was a much better option. The staff are all very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluebell1778
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here after getting a deal on itson . This included dinner breakfast room and a bottle of wine with dinner. The hotel is within the grounds of the university a lovely setting about a 10 min drive from the town center . The staff were friendly and very helpful . Our room 114 was in the new extension and had a king size bed and all the things you expect in a good hotel . Our meal was in the newly refurbished wheelers restaurant I had a lovely smoked haddock and my wife was spoiled for choice with the vegetarian opions which normally causes us problems. The breakfast was a buffet style with the potato scones done to perfection. We will be returning soon especially if we see similar deals on thd voucher sites.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sgstevie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie
Trigony House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Closeburn

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!