“very relaxing”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“very relaxing”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and i recently enjoyed a very relaxing break at the Alton Hotel in Dumfries.We walked in the many acres of wonderful parkland - saw three weddings! The rooms were comfortable, especially the beds and the shower was amazing. The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble.Breakfast on the first morning was a little hectic and the buffet food kept running out but the second morning it was much better. The icing on the cake was the fabulous food in the restaurant. We ate at the restaurant both evenings it was so delicious. Well done Aston Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Amanda. Delighted that you chose the Aston for you leisure break and that you found time to write this review which is most welcome. Thank you and hopefully see you again. Mike Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'm so impressed by this Hotel that I'm writing my review halfway through my 4-day business stay. Having tried several hotels in the area due to working up here for an extended period, I can comfortably say that this is the best of the bunch.

While there are some other options closer to town, depending on your budget and requirements, this has a real 'top-class' feel about it.

I think other reviews have the stay here pretty much spot on. Bedroom is spacious, king size bed which is comfortable, and a clean and well presented bathroom with a powerful shower. I haven't tried the TV as I'm not really one for watching stuff other than sports & movies. Wifi works well all over the building, and outside too. I'm writing this on my ipad in the beer garden! There is also a wired connection available in rooms for those of us who need to work at random hours...

Staff are exceptionally friendly, service is speedy and courteous. Had a small problem with the air conditioning in my room, which is being investigated now. Hopefully they can repair as its a real scorcher today, if not then it's not something I would mark this hotel down on - these things happen.

I didn't book the breakfast deal as I tend to leave for work earlier than service starts, and usually end up wasting the money. I also haven't eaten in the restaurant, although plan to do so on my next visit so will update the review in due course....

I'm so impressed that I've already booked my next 2 stays here over the next couple of weeks, and in fact I think the only reason I'll stay anywhere else in Dumfries for the rest of my time here is if The Aston is fully booked.

Grounds are beautiful and it's very tranquil. Certainly the most peaceful hotel I've stayed in here. Town centre is a 25 minute walk - mostly downhill - or about 5 mins and £4 in a taxi.

There is a golf club situated close by - I'm not a golfer so can't say what it's like.

Bar is about average price-wise. Yes there are cheaper options in town but we need to remember that this is a hotel. I'm paying £3.90 for a pint of Carling as opposed to about £3.30 in town. By my reckoning you'd need to drink 20 pints to cover the difference of a taxi there and back :). The bar is also well-stocked with a good range of beers, wines and spirits.

Plenty of car parking space available right outside, and you're only a short drive away from the A75 for onward trips.

Overall then, very impressive & the closest you'll come to the big-name luxury chains. Well done to all who work here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Craigo1973
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
What a great review which goes without saying we are delighted to receive and thank you so much for taking the time to write. You have mentioned all aspects of your stay and we are delighted that you will be returning. The only regret that I have is that you have only just found us after your other visits to Dumfries which I note from your previous reviews. Thank you, Mike Phillips
Aberfeldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed recently on an Itison deal and what fantastic value for money it turned out to be. Right from our arrival everything ran like clockwork. Staff were very welcoming and the Prosecco, chocolates and fruit basket that were included in the deal were in our room. We also had afternoon tea which was included in the deal with sandwiches, fresh cream scones, strawberries, cake and shortbread. Delicious. Our room, which had a beautiful view over the grounds, was very clean and well appointed with a lovely shower room ensuite. Breakfast was served buffet style and the food was plentiful with a good selection. The hotel is set in a very peaceful location in stunning grounds. We had a fantastic couple of days here and I felt it deserved more than its official 3. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the grounds.
2 Thank Fiona062
Hi Fiona, pleased to see we have another satisfied guest from our Isiton deal. This has certainly been very popular and one which we will be repeating. Thank you for mentioning all aspects which is appreciated. Hopefully see you again on another deal. Kind Regards Mike Phillips
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is our 3rd weekend break and never fails to impress. The rooms are very comfortable with good views over the extensive grounds which are immaculate. The service as always was excellent and very friendly, and once again the food was excellent in fact I don't know why it is not Michelin starred.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken, thank you for this review. Delighted that you keep returning for a weekend leisure break. Hopefully we will see you for visit number four. In the meanwhile best regards, Mike Phillips
Chester
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in the above for one night. excellent value and the location is wonderful. Set in serene parkland university setting.
The room was in the new part and we faced the church. the gardens are stunning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the church.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this review on you overnight stay. Pleased that you enjoyed and would like to think we could welcome you back for a longer stay next time. We are ideally situated to explore and visit all of the attractions and scenic sights of Dumfries & Galloway. We offer various packages some of which includes entrance fees which we hope would be of interest. Kind regards Mike Phillips
Oldbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this fabulous hotel for our wedding as we were getting married in the Crichton Church. The accommodation was exceptional value for money. The hotel was a fantastic venue to have our wedding breakfast, with the food being fabulous and also value for money. On the day of the wedding, a few hiccups occured that had nothing to do with the hotel, but were instantly put right by the staff of this hotel as they arose to ensure our day went smoothly. The staff were exceptional and we felt they went above and beyond the call of duty, We felt they made our wedding. The rest of our guests could not have sung the praises higher regarding this hotel and it's staff. Highly recommended!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Elizabeth thanks for this great review and for choosing the Aston Dumfries for your memorable occasion. Delighted we were able to assist with resolving a couple of problems for you. Every happiness to you both. Hope we will see you again. Best Regards Mike Phillips
Durham, England
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here overnight on our way further north, but would recommend it for a longer stay. The grounds are amazing, ask for a room with a view over the gardens/church. The rooms are a good size with everything you need and well maintained and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Great breakfast, although buffet the hot food was regularly replenished rather than volume being kept hot. Overall a good overnight stop for us but would consider a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: Request views over the gardens and church not the car park.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tom7
Mike P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dumfries, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post this review and for using the Aston for your overnight stop as we are just a few miles from the M 74.Would be pleased to welcome you for a return visit for a longer stay to enjoy the many sights and attractions you will find in Dumfries & Galloway. Delighted you enjoyed your stay. Kind regards Mike Phillips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Best Western Station Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
Hetland Hall Hotel
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water

Been to Holiday Inn Dumfries? Share your experiences!