“Worth a visit”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I visited with my husband, mainly to see the Camera Obscura, but the Museum itself is also really interesting and worth taking the time to have a good look round. It covers everything from the area's wildlife, to fashion, dairy farming and the weather so there is defintiely something to interest everyone.

The Camera Obscura has a (very) small fee but is well worth it, and also worth the climb up the spiral stairs! The guide was really knowledgable about the local area and gave us a great description of all that we were able to see.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank thehendrys3011

• Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A Little Treasure”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently visited the museum with family visiting from Canada. I had not been there for about 40 years and boy was I surprised it was amazing so many different things to see from stuffed animals to fashion to burial stones to the Camera Obscurer. There is something for all ages so no one will be left out. The staff are so friendly and they all appear to love what they are doing and certainly know what they are talking about and certainly have passion for what they are talking about as well. The highlight is the camera obscurer you see the whole of Dumfries as clear as a bell (as long as you dont go on a wet day as you cannot open the obscurer if its wet). I certainly cant wait for my grandson to be old enough for me to take him. Mind you you climb up a spiral stair case to get to the obscurer so hopefully I will make it up the stairs

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Shona C
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“visit worthwhile”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

No Entrance fee but a small charge for "Camera Obscure" if you want. An interesting conversion of an Old Mill into a museum. It is located near the River Nith and the views from the museum are brilliant. Definitely a good visit.

Visited August 2013
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“loved the camera abscura”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am local and was just walking past with my daughter and friend they asked to in nip in for 10min so we did.An 2 hours later we left!!!! We enjoyed our walk round then the girls done a quiz ,it was simple to follow and the girls found the answers they were rewarded a sticker.We then paid the small fee to see the views of Dumfries from the camera Obscura. We loved it the lady working the equipment showed us round town gave us a little history of the camera and museum,we all found it quite interesting.The girls went onto colour in before we left.good wee afternoon.

Visited June 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Haven't been since I was kid .... Still amazing”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a great few hours at museum and camera obscure...... Saw schools and houses of people we knew.. Kids loved all the old things about the town.... Seeing crystals from beaches we go to..... Most of the afternoon was spent saying wow... Def with a visit and its free you on,y pay for the camera obscure

Visited July 2013