“The best pub in Scotland”
Review of Globe Inn

Globe Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Nightlife in Dumfries
More attraction details
Owner description: National poet Robert Burns' favorite haunt.
phoenix,az
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The best pub in Scotland”
Reviewed February 9, 2009

Jan 25 2009 was my 60th Birthday.It was also Robert Burns 250th Birthday. My wife and I spent the evening of the 25th in the Globe Inn after the Burns Night Celebration in Dumfries. There was a live accordian player and also a bagpipe player. The people in the Pub and the bartenders were all very friendly to us Americans.It was my most memorable Birthday yet. I would recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank cdreyn

manchester
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Burn's Houff - Perfect Welcome”
Reviewed April 3, 2005

I recently got married in Scotland. The night before the wedding (at Auchen Castle in Beatock - read my review about this Hotel before booking!) I wanted somewhere special for 10 Adults and four children to dine (us & guests).

I contacted The Globe Inn as I had seen their website, and was impressed (prob cos I'm big Burn's fan). By return email I had a friendly reply, menu's from the chef, and the offer of a tour of the building free of charge.

I cannot complement them enough. They were fantastic. Upon arrival the Manager introduced herself, started us off on our tour, seated us at dinner in our own little room (with Burn's chair) lovely touches such as candles on the table, high chair for the little one.

After the fantastic first course, she came in and explained the history of the room and the adjacent one - then as a surprise she presented my partner and I with a bottle of wine, all dressed up with ribbons, balloons, heather & thistle (which, coincidentally was what his buttonhole was made up of) - and a little poem on the label just for us!

The night really was made special by the attention to detail and the friendliness and enthusiasm of our guide. Afterwards, I met Gary, the chef, and was equally impressed with how friendly he was too. The food was fantastic, words do not exist to describe how fabulous this little place and it's welcome was.

I thank them from the bottom of my heart for making the night truly special for us and our guests - some of whom had never been to Scotland before, and had travelled up from South Kent. I was thanked by guests for a fabulous, memorable evening, but it is The Globe & 1610 that truly deserve the thanks!

11 Thank iloveDumfries