“Excellent”
Review of Hazeldean House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Hazeldean House
Ranked #3 of 52 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just had a brief stay here at Hazeldean, bill and wilma very helpful, clean tidy very homely couldn't have been better, stayed with friends together in one room for three, definitely be going back with my wife there is a lovely room with a four poster bed, extremely well decorated and furnished Victorian residence, very interesting place to stay and very comfortable, beautifully kept gardens and lots of awards on display for best in Dumfries, very impressive

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We spent two very comfortable nights at Hazeldean. Wilma and Billy were very attentive and obliging, the house was spotlessly clean and full of character, as we expected from their online description. The breakfasts, skilfully prepared by Wilma and served with style by Billy, were of the best quality we found while touring Scotland. We are very particular where we stay, and look forward to returning to Hazeldean House again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Thanks to Billie and Wilma I've just had another fantastic stay at Hazeldean. I've been a regular guest for over 10 years and had spent a night or several in all of the rooms. Personally I love Room 5, it's so comfortable! I also like the Cabin Room downstairs, but with it's low ceiling - I can understand it's not to everyones liking. Each of the rooms are furnished to a high standard right down to the biscuits with the hot drink supplies,and I think Billie has a copy of every film ever made in his video/dvd collection which you can watch in the comfort of your room.

I keep coming back to Hazeldean partly because it's clean and tidy which is important to me. A few times I've spotted Wilma's cleaning girls grapple with the niknaks, dolls and eagles to give them a sparkle. I'm a cleaner myself so can appreciate how big a job this seems, but they do a fantastic job.

Everytime I stay here there's another addition to Billie's collection of curios and oddities. Other people may think it's mindless clutter but to others (like me) its a great collection of things you may not see anywhere else including the local museums. Speaking of which, I finally got to see the Camera Obscura thanks to one of the many leaflets I spotted in Hazeldean's lobby.

The breakfast is really good. I dont eat meat so Wilma offers alternatives such as veggie sausages and hash browns. There's always plenty to eat too.

Finally Hazeldean's location is perfect for touring the area. It's a short walk to the train station and the town, and is great for exploring further afield like Mabie Forest. Billie and Wilma know such a lot about local areas and events, I've found it very useful to ask them for info beforehand rather than the Tourist Board.

I always look forward to the warm, friendly stay at Hazeldean, and would recomend a stay to everyone.

Room Tip: If you're over 5'7 dont choose the Cabin Room, it has a low ceiling.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sian68
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were 4 ladies traveling together requiring 4 separate beds and this B&B had plenty of rooms that fit our requirements. The Victorian home was decorated to the period, clean and well cared for. The award winning gardens were spectacular. The owners were extremely helpful with directions, dinner suggestions, etc. Very nice couple, available whenever we needed anything. Reasonably priced. This was such a welcoming B&B - would definitely recommend if in the area. Good breakfast cooked to order, clean and comfy rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our second stay at Hazeldean. You can always be sure of the highest standard in the quality of the rooms and food. But what makes a stay at Hazeldean very special is the friendship made with hosts Wilma & Billy. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay with them both. Make sure Hazeldean is top of your list when you need a place to stay in south west Scotland.

Room Tip: Book early as it fills up very quickly
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have stayed many times with Billy and Wilma; and more attentive and welcoming hosts you will not find. Gardens and house are beautiful; rooms are warm,clean;with all your home creature comforts. Breakfast served in the conservatory is absolutely first rate. I would thoroughly recommend Hazeldean for your stay in Dumfries . Should you be travelling from abroad and unsure of what to expect in Scotland,my advice would be BOOK NOW!..to avoid disappointment.
It IS the benchmark to which others should strive.

Room Tip: All rooms are double glazed,restful sleep is assured.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Whilst relocating within Dumfries, my husband and I stayed at 'Hazeldean House' for over a month. As we were staying for an extended period, we were allocated a family room on the first floor at the front of the house. The room was spacious and in an immaculate order. During our stay, we were not disturbed in any way by passing traffic. The proprietors were very friendly and accommodating. Over the period, we were shown round all the guest bedrooms and each one was themed slightly different, however, all rooms were in the same immaculate condition. The breakfasts were of good quality and with a varied selection. The Resident's Lounge was well appointed, with a good selection of entertainment suitable for all ages. The gardens offer a splendid display of flowers and are maintained to an exceptionally high standard, providing an excellent place to relax. Would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment to other would be guests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple