“you get what you pay for”

Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Got a really good deal on this hotel for a two night stay including access to the spa. Spa facilities were lovely with the pool very clean and sauna and jacuzzi brilliant. The steam room however was not working so cannot comment on that. I found the room to be far too warm, we turned the heating off however it was still roasting, we slept with the windows wide open in the middle of January and still too hot during the night, we asked reception to turn it down however they said the heating will turn itself off at 10pm. I never slept well at all due to the heat. The bed wasn't too comfy either, it felt like the middle of the bed was a good bit lower possibly due to wear and tear of the bed/matress. The room however was clean and spacious and I appreciated the sofa bed to relax on whilst watching the telly!
The breakfast on the other hand was dreadful. The hot breakfast must have been sitting out for a while, I couldn't eat it. There were cheeses ie babybell, smoked cheeses etc left out however these were out of date. The fresh fruit was dried out.
The location is ideal for Dumfries and is within walking distance of the train station.
I would not come back to this hotel however.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 14 which is directly beside the housekeeping quarters. This was a very noisy locat...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the hotel. As you have highlighted we have some excellent deals in the hotel and most of these are highlighted on our website. I was particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our leisure club and your comments about other aspects of your stay will be fully discussed at our next H.O.D. Meeting.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for my husbands 30th birthday.

Lovely, bright, clean and fresh hotel. food was lovely. Could not fault the breakfast, wide choice and staff on hand to help in any way they can.

Room was big, bright and spotless. Plenty of pillows. Trouser press and hairdryer in the room.

On arrival we were greeted by a very warm and welcoming member of staff, Heather. Heather could not have been more helpful. She informed us that the wi-fi was playing up and moved us to a room where she knew we would get a better wi-fi signal.

The spa area is lovely. A lovely place to relax in peaceful surroundings. Beautifully decorated and nice and quiet. Didnt even need to bring our own towels, the spa provided these for us.

Not once did we meet a grumpy, disgruntled or rude staff member. Everyone we encountered could not do enough for us. Nothing was too big an ask, no matter what time of the day or night.

The day before my husbands birthday, and with only an hours notice, Heather arranged for a surpise tray to be delivered to our room, with a balloon, cake and a pint. Although her shift had ended at 3pm, she waited until she was finished and went into town to purchase everything that was needed to do this, and then delivered to my husband, 90 minutes after her shift had ended.

Upon checking out, again another lovely male member of staff could not have been nicer, even offering to price match for us should we ever wish to stay again.

A lovely place to stay, and we were treated so well.

We will deffinately be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MrsCampBris
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Friendly, warm and welcoming! These three words say it all! When our guests respond in such a positive way we know we're getting things right.
I was particularly pleased to find that Heather went out of her way to make your stay special and the way in which she turned a negative into a positive with the wifi is a good example of how our staff try to go that extra mile for our guests.
I know that Heather will be delighted with your feedback and it's always appreciated when our guests take the time to thank us for a job well done.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here on business for one night, booked on my phone an hour before arrival as it looked like the only hotel in Dumfries with a gym. Wasn't expecting much after reading reviews on Tripadvisor but very pleasantly surprised. It's an old hotel, cobbled together with a few old buildings, a more recent leisure club extension and conference centre. Located very close to the centre of town and yet very quiet, in spite of my room being on the main road. Plenty of parking. When I arrived I was welcomed by the very helpful and friendly receptionist. The decor and furnishings are a little dated but the lobby was pleasant and my room was very comfortable, on the small side (I had booked a single but got a small double), and the bathroom was lovely, had clearly been refurbished recently. The gym was decent enough, plenty of modern equipment and whilst it had clearly been shoe-horned into an awkward space it didn't feel cramped. Pool, saunas etc very nice. By the time I had been to the gym I was too late to eat in the hotel - there are apparently a lot of restaurants in Dumfries but I struggled a bit to find somewhere at 10pm on a Tuesday night. A good night's sleep preceded a decent buffet breakfast, plenty of choice and nicely cooked. Will definitely stay here again and very good value for the rate I paid. Maybe would not have been so pleased if I had paid the rack rate but that's supply and demand for you. Overall I would recommend, as long as you're not looking for anything too swanky.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank greg2302

Thank you for taking the time to post such an excellent review following your recent visit .I was delighted to find that you're hoping to return in the future and it might be beneficial to contact us about corporate rates.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband & I booked the Hogmanay package which included dinner, bed & breakfast, access to their leisure centre and entertainment for the three nights we were there.

Our room was pleasant but maybe needing a little freshen up. The dinners were amazing considering how many people were there and the entertainment (Whitney Houston tribute act on the first night and then we had Men with Hats for our new year festivities and on the final night, an Abba tribute act called Swede Dreamz) was all very good.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and upbeat considering the time of the year & probably wanting to spend it with their own families. On our final night, our waiter Kris was very attentive.

Leisure facilities was good also but if honest, we didn't have that much time to spend there.

Would definitely recommend this for couples or groups aged 40+

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rfra386401l

Thank you for taking the time to post such an excellent review following your recent visit to the hotel at New Year.
Our Hogmanay Celebrations were fully booked again this year and we're delighted to see that more than 50% of our guests have already re-booked for next year.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just returned from this hotel .More positives than negatives and all in all a pleasant experience.The building is old and some essential modernisation is needed.The lift broke down on Xmas eve and still not fixed by 27/12.This was problematic for many people especially as al older people were staying..Also the lack of heating in the Park Suite made spending time here unpleasant.The positives were the overall cleanliness and the staff most of whom were very young but very cheery and very helpful.The food and entertainment were of a good standard for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Groud floor rooms are available but involve a fair walk reception.Room 17 on !st floor was quiet and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to the hotel at Christmas.
The breakdown of our lift certainly proved to be an issue for a number of our guests and despite our best efforts it proved impossible to get it fixed over the Christmas period.
Our Christmas and New Year Breaks always prove to be popular and we're already working on our 2014 Festive Programme which will shortly be posted on the hotel's website.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Average to below average hotel. Reception offered an excellent welcome. Room clean and pretty modern with a TV, kettle, etc. Dinner I thought was a bit pricey for what you got, dessert tasted as if it had made friends with a microwave. Breakfast pretty poor, but I would advise sticking to the continental option.

General decor was very 80s. I would give it a 2star. As long as you go prepared you wont be disappointed

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the hotel.
I was pleased to find that our reception staff offered a warm welcome and that you found your room clean and modern.
I was surprised at your comments about the food served in our restaurant and particularly about our desserts as these are all freshly prepared in the hotel.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Staff were very friendly and helpful, hotel public areas, room and restaurant were well decorated, clean and comfy. We had a ground floor room but were not affected by evening entertainment noise as it was during the week (might have been different if it had been a weekend). Our only complaints were the noise from an outside extractor fan which disturbed us at night and the only view from our room was over a corrugated roof where many cigarette ends had been deposited.
There was an adequate and satisfying choice for breakfast. We had one evening meal in the Reivers restaurant and had the 3 course special which was absolutely delicious, we could not fault it at all, our compliments to the chef and other restaurant staff.
We will return again, there are plenty of places to visit and explore in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and particularly your comments about the friendliness of our staff and the quality of your evening meal in Reivers Restaurant.
This feedback is very much appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
2 mi away
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!