“great weekend”

Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Weekend got off to poor start, booked in pleasant experience & went to room 50 a superior room where I was disappointed, this was a basic room with a larger bed but a large duvet squashed into a small duvet cover, cannot understand why this would be done if superking size quilt buy superking size duvet covers simple! I called reception & asked for a cover that fitted the quilt which would then fit the bed & was told give them ten minutes, went to reception after ten to be told we were being moved, taken to the new room which was in fact the "honeymoon suite" separate sitting area and lovely four poster bed, thanks very much was lovely and excellent customer service.

We found the staff, the food and the two nights entertainment, the comedy night on the Friday & the Neil Diamond night on the Saturday excellent, hotel did not stock diet lemonade but got some in for me another massive tick for customer service.

Overall all I would recommend this hotel for good food, excellent entertainment and customer service which exceeded my expectations but buy those duvet covers !!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us such constructive feedback.
I was delighted to find that our staff were able to respond positively to your initial issues and to hear how much you enjoyed your two night stay in the hotel.
It's our aim to provide customer satisfaction beyond expectation and clearly our staff have delivered on this occasion.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here because it has a pool and that's probably it's saviour. The bar is small and pokey and they didn't have anything on draught except lager, despite there being Guinness and another tap there. We didn't stay for a drink and went instead to the pub along the road (Broons). We only ate breakfast in the hotel too so can't comment on the evening or lunchtime offerings. The room we had was in the Park House section and was quite dated. The hotel needs a makeover and needs to decide whether to modernise or stick with the art-deco style.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Lovely old hotel with quality staff. Very old-school, rooms maybe a bit dated, but that would be harsh to mark them down on.

Relating to my room then: quite possibly the biggest bed I've ever slept in! I felt like an Oompa Loompa in standard double. No matter how far I tried to get my legs apart, I couldn't make my feet touch both sides! It would have been quite possible to have both Five, and The Saturdays staying over, and we could have probably still squeezed in Girls Aloud....

Shower: tremendous! After my experience at the Station Hotel, I emerged from my bed bleary-eyed, turned it on full and stepped in. I was almost swept along the high street by the sheer brute force! Once I recovered, and climbed back in my window, I powered a whole years worth of grime off my body in under 3 seconds, with the aid of some very nice free unguents.

The staff really are nice here, and the adjoining leisure club makes it worth considering, after all a sauna in the morning after a night on the drink sorts you right out.

I think this is my favourite hotel in the town so far, but I've still got a couple I want to try. Definitely the best free biscuits, and it also gave me my first experience of a trouser press. I've had all sorts in there: underpants, pyjamas, money, a slice of toast pilfered from breakfast.

Next time, I might try my trousers...

9/10 Caindale, well done

Room Tip: Get a big bed. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Craigo1973
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thanks for what's probably one of the most entertaining reviews we've ever had. If only Carlsberg did hotel guests!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

On arrival the hotel looked very promising with a pleasing entrance and reception. My room was not in the main building but instead in an adjoining annex which was a little disappointing although the room was quite acceptable. An inviting atmosphere in the bar and restaurant however the food wasn't as good as I would have hoped, it was okay but would give it a miss next time. In general I found the staff okay as they dealt with any request I had but was left feeling a little like a "number" rather than a valued guest. I did get a good nights sleep, which I guess is the main thing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 697simonc
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the hotel.
I was sorry to find that we failed to exceeed your expectations on this occasion and we will certainly take on board your comments about feeling like a "number".
This is certainly not what we set out to do and you can be assured that we'll be trying even harder to try and ensure this doesn't happen in future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Booked a twin room for 2 nights bed and breakfast. Put in room 22 initially but this room smelt so strongly of cigarette smoke after 3 hours feeling really ill went to Reception and asked to be moved. Receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and apologetic and moved us immediately to a much better room. Happy with the price we paid for the second room, which was very roomy and nicely decorated. Plenty of pillows, nice white soft towels, plenty of toiletries for two of us. Reception happy to give us additional tea, coffee, etc. etc. The first room was small with wallpaper hanging off the ceiling! Meals are fine with good choice for a 3 star.
Would be happy to recommend, the staff were really friendly, helpful and more than willing to ensure we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your very constructive feedback. I was pleased to hear that you would be happy to recommend our hotel to others.
We have a no smoking policy throughout the hotel and we are currently considering whether to charge guests a penalty if they smoke in their rooms.
We will also make sure that if a room smells of smoke this will not be let until it has been properly de-odourised.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have just enjoyed a short break at this hotel. Any fears that this would be yet another run down hotel were soon dispelled. The hotel has been very tastefuly decorated throughout. The check in was friendly and efficient with lots of useful information given. On arrival to our room, we were phoned to check that we were happy with everything. We were, it was a spacious room, comfortably equiped and of good decoritive standard.
We used the extensive leisure facilities which were also of an excellent standard. The pool is family friendly and not deep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hexhome

Thank you for taking the time to post such an excellent review following your visit to our hotel.
Your comments about the friendliness and efficiency of our staff are very much appreciated.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Positives
- got a great deal of less than 100 quid for 2 nights and upgraded to superior room.
- leisure facilities thrown in wih price are 1st class
- decent breakfast available

Minor Negative
- Duvet was two singles linked together which would have been fine except the duvet cover wasn't big enough. To be fair they did try and resolve but simplest solution would be to invest in appropriate sized duvet covers. This didn't affect our nights sleep so no great issue for us (although it would have been if we'd have paid full price)

Overall
It's a decent hotel and that's about it. Only the leisure facilities really stand out as a major plus point

• Stayed: April 2013
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

It certainly does sounds like you got a fantastic deal in the hotel, and value for money has to be measured against what was actually paid - 2 Nights for less than £100 in a three star hotel with leisure facilities, breakfast and an upgrade sounds like a real bargain!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
2 mi away
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!