“Some good, some not so good.”

Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Some good, some not so good.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked this hotel as it was rather handy for my business trip, but I admit to some concerns from the reviews on tripadvisor.

The best point is that the staff are well trained, friendly, efficient and helpful. From check in, to bar, restaurant and leisure club, they were all fantastic.

Also, the entire package of Dinner, Bed and Breakfast is well priced and when a few drinks were added it came to around £95. Not bad.

The leisure club is reasonably equipped, with cardio machines, static weight machines and a free weight area. I had a good workout, but never used the pool, although some did.
I was a little hindered by the height of the gym area and when standing on the treadmill I had no headroom to run, so had to go into the other area on a rather antiquated machine to run. However, I am 6ft 4ins, so this won't affect many visitors.

I was given a rather strange room for my requirements, a family/disabled room. It had wider doors, 3 beds, grab handles in the newly appointed bathroom and fixtures for disabled people. It didn't hinder me much, but whilst at breakfast looking at some of the clientele, I thought they would have benefited from this more than I (and I sincerely hope I am not offending anyone with that statement). My only trouble with the room was that the bed (which was 2 singles pushed together) at the open side nearest to the en suite, had near collapsed and as such leaned towards one side. My thoughts are that this side is used by people getting in and out of wheelchairs and had had excessive wear. Thus I slept on the other side. Also, the room faced the academy leisure building opposite the hotel, with it's bus stops and late closing. It was therefore quite noisy until gone 11pm and then got noisy around 7 am.

My evening meal was very tasty, however I had an issue with seeing the "chef" cook your meal from your seat. This is interesting in a high class venue with chef running around getting things ready, but here he clunk dings veg and sauces in his constantly used microwave.
My main came without my requested vegetables, so the waitress went back for them. A scoop of carrot/turnip and a spoonful of peas went clunk ding in 2 minutes and then they came to the table. £2.50 thank you!! Doesn't really have the same appeal. And as such, they were nuked to mouth burning levels, so were eaten after the main course.

Certain areas of the hotel looked old and in need of refurbishment, although others looked as though this had recently been done, if in a Art Deco fashion and colour scheme that isn't really my taste (a bit Blackpool does Hollywood for me!! Sorry).

However, the hotel was holding 3 mini conferences involving local businesses, had a junior sports team staying and there were plenty of people in for breakfast, so it is a well used establishment.
The breakfast was varied and again pretty tasty, even though the much despised "hot trays" were in evidence again. The staff, as always, were wonderful.

So a bit of a mixed bag really. I think they are trying to improve which should be commended. But some of the key areas that would get them from average to good or even better, are the areas that seem to be overlooked at the moment.

Certainly not a disappointment, but not first choice on my list of hotels to re-book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel for a quieter nights sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Alva, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Booked a night in the Cairndale as we were down in Dumfries and looking for a hotel with a pool, sauna and facilities.

The room was as expected, clean tidy, fairly small bit big enough for a one night stay. The road outside prevented me from opening the window so it was very warm, even with the heating switched off. The bathroom had been recently refitted.

We didn’t see much of the rest of the hotel as we ate out, due to the reviews of the restaurant not being that great. Breakfast was as expected in a large hotel of this nature, more focused on quantity than quality, but to a standard that kept us happy and ensured we didn't leave the table hungry. There was a wide selection of foods and the staff were good and helpful.

The leisure facilities made the stay for us as we were looking for somewhere to relax for a while on the day of our arrival. They form part of a separate health club so may be busy at peak times but are very good. If the hotel didn't have these facilities I think it would struggle to attract customers, certainly at the current prices charged.

An acceptable but uninspiring experience but overall no real issues to report. We got what we expected, a fairly standard large 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room to the rear of the hotel not overlooking the road outside.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just returned from Cairndale hotel Dumfries. We booked through Classic Britain for 59pounds each we had BandB and a lovely four course dinner and A Neil Diamond tribute act. Food was excellent, staff couldnt do enough for you room was spotless and added bonus with excellent leisure facilities. The tribute night was great .Hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank margaretrusso
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel and in particular our Neil Diamond Tribute act.
We are always happy to get feedback on the various acts appearing in the hotel and as a result of this our Neil Diamond act has been rebooked for the 20th April.
Other acts booked for the coming months include Diana Ross, Abba, the Beatles and Whitney Houston.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

stayed at the Cairndale for a week-end conference and was delighted by the services offered. Reception, housekeeping and restaurant were excellent. We had taken over the entire hotel so it was possible that some relaxation of standards would occur but not so. The banqueting standards were superb, faultless food and service was very disciplined. My only comment is that I bought a bottle of white at table and it arrived in a bucket of ice - we left it ten minutes or so then poured, but I was disappointed to find it still warm. I complained to the waiter who removed it and returned to tell me that the banqueting barman had told him that "I can't exchange it because all the bottles are warm" Not the right answer I'm afraid and I told the waiter to try again; he spoke to the restaurant manager who suggested he could place a bottle into the sink with ice - My suggestion was the freezer for ten minutes since although it cost twenty pounds it wasn't a brilliant wine and I did want to drink it that evening........ Apart from that - yes some parts of the rooms were dated but it doesn't advertise itself as modern or boutique and is 3 star, so my friend and I had a very comfortable week-end.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Freda C
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay in the hotel.
Your comments about the excellent standards in reception, housekeeping and restaurant are particularly welcomed by everyone concerned with your visit.
Stranraer
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed the weekend of 9th and 10th February with my 2 daughters age 8 and 12 years. First room we were given only had a double bed, even though there were 3 of us. apparently there was a sofa bed that hadn't been made up. It stated on the Hotels web site that all family rooms have a double bed, single bed and a sofa bed. We would not have booked it if we know it was only a double bed and sofa bed. Were then given 2 lovely rooms with interconecting doors but there was no central heating only a small plug in radiator was told the heating was not working in those rooms, why would you let rooms out if the heating is not working?. The girls went to use the swimming pool, but told that the pool was closed as someone had been sick in it and it should be open later. Went back down later and again was told it was still closed due to the PH level but would be open in the morning. Due to a bunch of students running around the hotel we decided to stay in our not so warm room as the girls were a bit concerned about the noise the students were making. Breakfast was very nice, lots of choice and staff friendly. Headed off for the day returning at 3.45pm only to find our room had ot been cleaned. Was told that the cleaning staff were just going to see to it. Surely they should do the make-ups and early arrival rooms first not last! Went to go to the pool but was told that the girls could not go in the pool by themselves (even though they are very good swimmers), they have to be over 16 years of age. The only reason we booked this hotel was for the pool facilities. I checked when we came home and can not find anywhere in the Hotel's web site that states children should be over 16 years when they use the pool, it does say they have to be supervised but not that they have to have an adult in the pool with them, they charged my daughter as an adult even though she is 12.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to offer us some very constructive feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.
There does seem to have been some confusion over the configuration of our family rooms and I understand that the room initially allocated to you included a double bed, single bed and sofa bed. We also have a limited number of triple rooms in the hotel and perhaps a triple room would have suited you better.
I was pleased to find that our receptionist was able to allocate two interconnecting rooms in the end at no extra cost and hopefully this made ups for any misunderstandings on arrival.
I fully accept that the closure of our swimming pool during your stay was a problem but we couldn't compromise the safety of our guests by opening it before obtaining satisfactory pool test results.
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

After reading a bad review which almost put me off booking I called Hotel to explain why bad review and Douglas on reception told me everything would be fine and that i would enjoy my stay at the Cairndale. After arriving the contact at reception was first class and soon in our rooms which were nice and clean we had a classic single and a classic double we decided to try the leisure club which was also nice and clean and friendly staff told us about a prob with the steam room which was waiting to be fixed . Everthing else was good the spa an sauna an pool were first class. The only downside was the towels they were so thin. Please renew asap . We also dined in hotel which was excellent great food and good service and reasonably priced. All in all a great stay and if son ends up in Uni here we will be back to the Cairndale .

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Norlorian
MatthewWallace, General Manager at Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I was delighted to find that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and particularly your visit to our leisure facilities.
Your feedback about excellent food, good service and reasonable prices in our restaurant is very much appreciated.
As you have hightlighted reviews can often be misleading and it's sometimes better to just try a hotel for yourself.
When taking on board all tripadvisor reviews around 65% or 2/3rds of reviews for our hotel have rated the hotel "excellent" or " very good".
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The starting point here has to be that we got a good room rate, so for what we paid, the stay was good value. We were in a large family room, which was spotless but dated. There's certainly no shortage of lights - you could carry out an operation on the coffee table with the number of light fittings in the room! The bed was comfy, the heating good, the decor tidy, the bathroom scrupulously clean...it just looks the way hotel rooms did 20+ years ago.

This continues with the public areas, and the mural to match the stair carpet is definitely one of a kind - you'll understand when you see it! The dining room and bistro are in need of modernisation too, but as with the rooms, they are clean but just a bit worn. We ate in Sawney Bean's and had breakfast in the restaurant, and thought the quality of the food was excellent. Dinner was delicious, and the selection at the buffet breakfast was extensive and regularly replaced, and the food was really good.

All the staff were friendly and efficient. Sorry I don't know your name, but the girl with the dark hair serving tables in Sawney Bean's has to be one of the hardest working people I've ever seen - she was everywhere!

Overall, the stay was good, and putting aside the dated surroundings, the location, cleanliness, efficiency of staff and quality of food couldn't be faulted. If I'm back in Dumfries, I'll be back at the Cairndale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cal23
Thank you for such positive feedback following your recent visit to our hotel.
Your comments about our staff being friendly and efficient, the excellent quality of the food, the cleanliness of your room. and the overall good value are all very much appreciated.
The suggestion that you would happily return to the hotel when you're next in the area is also welcomed and we look forward to being of further service to you on your next visit to the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Trigony House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Closeburn

Been to Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!