“Food and service great.”
Review of Hetland Hall Hotel

Hetland Hall Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Food and service great.”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This was my first meal at Heatland . I enjoyed a lovely meal with my famiy at this hotel. We ate in the restaurant, one of our party had fish and chips from bar menu and this was not a problem . Well presented and lovely friendly service. Will definitely go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Denese H
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review .We are glad you enjoyed your meal and will pass on your comments to Kelsey , our Chef that weekend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

(In case, like myself, someone is looking to see if there is a pool here, there isn't! It seems they did have one before but not now. I couldn't find anything to tell me either way when I looked)

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May as a sort of birthday treat and 'babymoon' with EasyBreaks. Dinner, bed, and breakfast for £158 (for both of us for both nights).
The grounds are so beautiful, and there is ample parking (though maybe not if there is a wedding on). The area is well kept and there are plenty of birds and rabbits around to look at.

The reception area is nice, and has the smell of a real fire. The staff member who welcomed us was polite and friendly, and answered the questions we asked her. The main staircase was well looked after and there was a large fireplace in the lobby.

We stayed in Room 1A which had a beautiful view over the lawn at the front. I was surprised at how large the room was, and the bathroom was also pretty bit. Unfortunately, someone had peed in the loo and it hadn't been flushed, however the toilet roll was folded into a point so someone had clearly either not cleaned the toilet or had used it after cleaning it.

The windows could do with a bit of attention. They are old wood ones, and as such have dirt around them when they're opened. I think if they are wiped down at every check out, then it wouldn't be like this.

There was a nice supply of tea, coffee, biscuits, and hot chocolate in the room, and we were given extra milk when I left a note the following morning. There is some information in the room that lets you know about the facilities, although there is some poor punctuation in the menu which offers various choice's of filling's for sandwiches. In a place as nice as Hetland Hall, I'd expect someone to have looked over the information and menus.

We booked in for dinner for the first night. I had melon to start, the duck supplement for main, and profiteroles for dessert. My husband had the pork main and profiteroles dessert, I can't remember his starter.
The food was amazing. The duck came with cracked black pepper and honey vegetables, but I couldn't eat these as they burnt my mouth off! The sauce (an orange and vanilla reduction) was the best thing I've ever tasted. I just wanted to drink it!

The breakfast was nice, and very filling You can help yourself to cereal and fruit etc. and then order a cooked breakfast too. On both days I had to go to sleep after breakfast as it was so filling.
The second night my dinner was soup, risotto, then cranachen, and my husband had haggis balls, duck (as it was so delicious the night before) and creme brulee. We actually both saved our bread rolls to dip in the orange sauce! The service was wonderful and the lady doing the waiting was very polite and remembered our room number. I was a little confused about the drinks, however, as the first night we were offered a glass of wine (or a soft drink for my very pregnant self) as part of the deal but had to pay for drinks the second night.

Again, the menu had grammatical errors and made the very nice restaurant look cheap and uncaring.

The information given in the room does say there is a mini-putt on site, but we couldn't find it when we went for a walk. We didn't ask, however, so it may just be somewhere else. There is a nice wooden children's play park in the grounds.

All in all, I would recommend this place for a visit as it was well worth the money we paid and the food was delicious.

Room Tip: The hall is set back off the road so you can't really hear the traffic unless you have the windo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Hetland Hall after your Stay.

I will pass on your comments to all Staff involved especially Laura and her Team.

Could I just clear up that the break you booked through the agent included drinks on the first evening but not the second - this is just one of the many offers Easy breaks runs with us.

We hope you will visit again and we can direct you to the Pitch and putt situated on the Lawn in front of our patio.

wishing you all the best with your new arrival
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Me and my husband went for a meal yesterday for our birthday,s as always trying to find somewhere new to go we decided on hetland hall wow! From start to finish the meal was gorgeous my husband wasnt keen on the starters they had on the restaurant menu and the staff were so lovely an helpful they gave him the bar menu and asked the chef for a few other options to the point he became spoiled for choice on the main we had the porkfillet and again my husband being quite a picky eater wasnt keen on th peppercorn sauce an yet again the staff went to see what they could do they were so lovely helpful and friendly and again we were presented with plenty of options i had a sweet and could not fault the white chocolate cheese cake if anyones lookin for a lovely place to eat and excellent value where yous will be treated like royalty this is the place to go! I cant wait to come back especially as they catered to my
picky husband needs where as most places its just what is on the menu an thats it! Cant wait to come back for our next special occasion

• Stayed May 2014
Fiona K, General Manager at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review regarding the meal you had with us. I am so glad we could accommodate your Husbands wishes - although they were absolutely no problem and our Chef Laura was only too happy to help.

We look forward to seeing you again.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Difficult to actually comment on this hotel as, having travelled 353 miles from home which took 5.5 hours, I was surprised to find the hotel had no rooms available despite a confirmation email regarding our booking from booking.com. Not a great start to our tour of Scotland and we never really got to the route cause of what had gone wrong... To be fair, they did suggest another local hotel (Powfoot Golf Club Resort) but this turned out to be dire....

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nick J
We are Sorry that we had not received confirmation of your booking when our Hotel was full. This was due to an issue with the website that you had booked through . I fully appreciate that this is no consolation at all when you travelled all that way, but as you kindly point out , we did everything we could to find you alternative accommodation. Please let me know directly if you are able to stay with us at some time in the future , and hopefully we can show you what we have to offer.

Travelers are raving about these Dumfries hotels

Coupar Angus, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have eaten at Hetland on many occasions with family and friends and never been disappointed. The food is tasteful and plentiful. The service is fantastic and you always receive a warm welcome. The seafood is great which I always have as the meat is not halal. If the meat was halal it would open up the menu and I would certainly be able to try the other dishes. Nevertheless the dishes I do eat are excellent. If you have never tried this little gem of a restaurant please do. You will be pleased and then keep returning I can guarantee that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review regarding Hetland Hall.

I have passed on all your Comments to Laura our Chef , who found them very interesting and also send her thanks.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights over Easter and we loved it! Yes it a little bit tired in places but the charm of the place far surpassed any of this. The staff were lovely, helpful and friendly. The food was tremendous, plenty of choice, beautifully cooked and plentiful, definitely compliments to the chef and to the staff in the dining room. The full Scottish breakfast set us up for plenty of exploring around Dumfries and the surrounding area, it is a beautiful place and worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive review of your stay over Easter at Hetland Hall Hotel.

We are indeed doing some very good offers at the moment so I am always pleased to hear when Guests enjoy their stay.

I will pass on your comment's to all Staff.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night simply as they allow dogs.....so a plus there...
Room was musty but large, the whole place is badly in need of a makeover. Two coffee cups in the room had dried chocolate in them....filthy, but washable.
Bar meal was way below average. Had the steak and ale pie, steak was as tough as army boots. On the other hand, breakfast was quite well done, so points there.
Overall, apart from a large garden, the hotel has no amenities, no gym, no pool, bar is only open certain hours, the whole place needs to be shut and renovated.
The biggest plus here are the staff, very friendly and helpful.
Would I stay again?.....no, prefer to pay a but more and get something modernised that didn't have that musty stale smell and some decent amenities.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig B
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hetland Hall , and thank you for your kind words about our Staff. Indeed we are pet friendly , and we are glad your dog enjoyed the parkland to play in : we were all amazed how white he stayed!

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal in the Bar - I wish that you had brought this to my attention when I spoke to you later in the evening.

I can only apologise for the Housekeeping issues with the cups. A quick call to Reception would have seen them changed immediately , but this is still totally unacceptable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!