“The Best 'Best Western' I've Ever Stayed At”

Best Western Station Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Lincoln
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Travelled up to for the ice hockey Playoffs in April 2014 and although this hotel was a bit pricey compared to some of the others in the area (£65 a night) I figured I would treat myself to a nice hotel for a change. The hotel is right outside the train station so it is easy to locate once you step of the many services that go through the town.

The receptionist on the first night was the owner and she was a very pleasent. She went into the brief history of Dumfries and the outlay, and ended it by saying "enjoy your stay"......the only problem was that at that point she hadn't given me the key or told me which room I was in. Made me laugh in a way. Upon ascending the stairs to the top floor I was greeted by a fantastic view from my room.

The room itself (Room 40) was adequate for one person, with a reasonably sized TV with the majority of the freeview channels on there. However, there were one or two things about the room I was less than impressed by. The first was that it was filthy, there were mini-eggs all over the place and there had been virtually no care given to the toilet/shower room, which was covered in hair. What was more annoying was that the shower head had clearly become detached at some point in the past and reattached with duct tape. As soon as I turned the shower on the water force it's way through the gaps in the tape and subsequently made having a shower pretty much impossible as the head kept on dropping to a point where it was showing back on itself.

Getting to sleep was fairly easy but staying asleep was another matter as a lot of freight trains went through the station throughout the night, so if you're not a heavy sleeper then you might struggle to get a decent night's sleep.

The morning came around and I headed down for breakfast. You could help yourself to the cold buffet, although not a lot was on offer, and you could also have a hot breakfast. The food was very reasonable and the sausages were very nice indeed. I soon headed out and the hotel is located just a few minutes walk from the town centre, which is very convenient.

Upon my return my hotel room had been tidied, as had the bathroom, but there were still mini-eggs in various locations around the room.

Overall it's not a bad hotel and I wouldn't rule out staying here again as my hockey team play away in the town (against Solway Sharks) on a regular basis, but I hope if I stay here again that they have made sure that the rooms are clean and the shower heads fixed when broken.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank njackson84
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest
I am extremely sorry and extremely embarassed about your experience at my hotel last weekend. If only you had called down to let me know when you got to your room, I would have moved you to another - clean and egg-free - room without hesitation. Our Housekeeping team normally receive great praise and are very apologetic for their mistake. We look forward to seeing you on another occasion and assure you of our best attention. Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I can be of further assistance. Regards, A McG
Bradford
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Booked a room for which the check-in time was 2.00pm. I arrived a little after 2.00 and was told (very apologetically ) that the room was not quite ready yet. I didn't have much of a problem with that as I could do some work for half an hour. I was shown to a table in the bar and offered a cup of tea. Some 10 minutes later the receptionist told me that the room was going to be about another half an hour so she had upgraded me to a twin room that was ready (I had booked a single). As other reviews have stated, the hotel is a little 'tired' (though spotlessly clean) but made up for by the quality of service from all the staff !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Darlington (uk)
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night whilst on business. The hotel is in an ideal spot for town right near the station and not far from the centre. It is a grand old building which will have been glorious in the past. Sadly the rooms are now a bit creaky, there was peeling paintwork and clear signs of damp in the bathroom. The bed was springy and in need of new mattress.

The full Scottish breaksfast was really good and I found all the staff friendly and welcoming. Overall this is an OK hotel if only the owners but some effort into smartening up the rooms they could have a top class hotel on their hands.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the station several times on our way to Leeds to break up the journey from the highlands. The Station is a large imposing hotel with rooms that have high ceilings and an elegance from a time gone by. The staff are friendly and helpful and the service is good. The room was clean and comfortable . The breakfast was well cooked and staff attentive . The hotel offers good value for money when booking in advance am sure we will be back

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Great base for visiting Dumfries and Galloway. Staff were really helpful and kind. The menu was very, very good, as was the wine list. The bar was resonably priced. The rooms were comfortable and well-equipped with tea and coffee facilities. All in all, a hotel you will feel really at home in.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
AileenMcGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Holiday Inn Dumfries
#7 of 7 in Dumfries
Townhead Hotel
Townhead Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie

Been to Best Western Station Hotel? Share your experiences!