“10/10 for food, atmosphere, cleanliness & staff.”
Review of Cavens Arms

Cavens Arms
Ranked #2 of 134 Restaurants in Dumfries
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“10/10 for food, atmosphere, cleanliness & staff.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Not having been since the expansion I didn't know what to expect. Arrived at 5pm, plenty of tables free but it soon filled up. Staff extremely pleasant and friendly.

What really stood out for me was the menu with many options for a GLUTEN FREE diet. This is rare and sheer delight for a coeliac who usually has to make do with salad or steak! I didn't need a pudding because the portion size was generous but on looking I HAD to go for the GF chocolate sponge & sauce, just because I could! The whole meal was absolutely delicious.

I will return - no doubt many times!

Visited June 2013

“A disappointment”
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for dinner on a trip around the uk after reading so many good reviews, but it was definitely a disappointment. The bar staff were friendly and helpful, providing a nice atmosphere at the bar, but the waitresses were completely different! Firstly the main bit of the restaurant was quite busy (but still had tables around) and we were placed right in the corner around the side, away from everyone! I have no clue why! The waitresses were also VERY rude. One slammed down the bill on the table saying nothing, the other, (on arriving at the table to check up on us) was already walking away before we could reply! There was just the two of us, we weren't loud, we were dressed smartly, we showered before we came out.. I don't know why we were treated like it! The food was also significantly overpriced for what it was. I really don't recommend if you want a meal there.

Biggar, United Kingdom
“Good upmarket bar food, real ale options and a busy atmosphere”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This nicely furnished and decorated pub has been extended in the past couple of years which alone in the economic climate is testament to its popularity. It focuses on meals and real ale (it has CAMRA awards). It is located centrally in Dumfries near the junction of Buccleuch Street and the Whitesands (not as currently showing on the TA interactive map in the middle of the town’s Morrisons Supermarket). If driving note that parking in nearby streets is restricted by time and the need for a parking disc (available in local shops, etc).

We called in on a Friday lunchtime and although it was very busy we were shown to a table within a few minutes. I’m aware Dumfries isn’t overflowing with choice however I’m surprised at the number of reviews on this TA listing indicating that people have been prepared to wait 30-45 minutes for a bar meal.
In the vicinity, “Hullaballo” in the Robert Burns Centre across the bridge has very good food and a licence although it‘s a bistro/restaurant rather than a pub.

The menu at Cavens has many traditional pub favourites and variations on the theme which you can expect in those bars which promote meals. We opted for Breaded Haddock with chips and Cod served in a tasty sauce with croquettes and some vegetables. As a drinks order had not been taken I took the opportunity to go up to the bar and peruse the ales on offer - there were about half a dozen Scottish and English traditional small brewery beers on tap - in addition to the many large brewery options. One of the staff, on seeing my interest offered a beer menu with descriptions of the real ales and suggested a “beer bat” - a wooden platter holds your choice of three 1/3 pint glasses for £3. I thought this was a good idea and similar to tasters available in micro breweries in North America.

The food was very good, as were the beers and one of my choices with a malty flavour went down nicely with the dessert of ginger pudding and custard! Plenty of staff around meant the service was quick and friendly in our experience and at £28 for two mains, one dessert and a soft drink and beer bat meant good value.

There is a toilet for disabled guests at street level and the main toilets downstairs were very clean and in good order.

Good upmarket bar food, real ale options and a busy atmosphere would sum it up.

1 Thank Rantin rover
AYR , SCOTLAND
“Home cooked food with a smile!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Fast efficient service and lovely main course. My husband I had one of the specials...Chicken and leek over haggis mash. DELISH!!

Grafenhausen, Germany
“Great food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Altough it was very crowded the day we came ( thursday evening) the service was efficient and friendly. The lasagne was very good and the Sirlion steak my boyfriend had was even good.