“A warm welcoming place!”
Review of Aberdour Hotel

Aberdour Hotel
Aberdour Hotel
Ranked #41 of 52 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2012

A very pleasant experience at the Aberdour. From day 1 they were at attentative and hospitable. The staff were great, the rooms were fine, the food was good. Nothing to be complained at. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. Don't be put off by the other negative reviews. They are far off the mark.

• Stayed: February 2012
There are newer reviews for Aberdour Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2012

A very pleasant stay, the room was bright and clean. We found the food to be excellent, nothing fancy but good and wholesome. Overall the Aberdour was a great find, and we will defiantly use again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roy H
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We booked here for our christmas work night out as they were offereing a "Party Night". At £31.50 the price didnt seem too bad for a 3 course meal (all of which sounded fantastic), a band and party games. We arrived to be crammed into a table, and served a meal I can only describe as utterly terrible! For starter I had an ice cream scoop of smoked mackrel pate garnished with hair! Not the best start, not to mention all the others looked like they had been dropped on the plate from a height. Main course did nothing to redeem it. Turkey and all the trimmings shouldn't be hard but they couldnt have got ot more wrong. Again, thrown on a cold plate, visible lumps in the gravy covering the luke warm turkey, some over cooked sprouts and carrots, a few boiled potatoes, a GREEN roast potato, 2 sausages wrapped in bacon and a dried up square of stuffing (see picture). My friend beside me opted for roast beef, which she could barely eat as it had hard strings of fat running all the way through it. By the time desert came, I think we had all accepted it was not going to be up to much, and we were correct! Shop bought merranges covered in squirting cream and strawberry bottle icecream sauce, chocolate mouse that tasted of butter, and something they called tiramasu but was like no tiramasu I have ever had! Awful so far, right? But it got worse. The "entertainment" began. A man and woman singing and playing guitar, who were so good that no one got up to dance until they took a break and played cds. And as for the party games.... one game of musical chairs. At this stage I feel the need to mention that should you just be going for a christmas meal here minus the party night you pay £17.50 (which is still far too expensive for what we were served) so what the hell did we pay the extra £14 for?? It certainly didn't eqaute to some bad Kareoke and a game of musical chairs! I'm glad to say that genral chat to people outside and in the loos proved we were not the only ones who were very disapointed. The only positive I have to say is that the group of people I work with are a great fun loving bunch so we had a great laugh making the best out of a poor setup, and had a great night betwen ourselves.

To summarise, you couldn't pay me to return here!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary S
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We had our reception here two years on, Im still upset and disappointed with the level of service and false promises we received, the hotel was dirty and shabby, they were still clearing the room after another event, we were promised chair covers, the music, cake, table cloths were all not set up and I the bride was setting up the room instead of enjoying with family in the bar, the staff were absent and told my family not to pay for their rooms as my mother was paying, just a disorganised chaos

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank winterwhiteUk
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This was ideal for us with a young toddler. Our room to the front of the hotel was ideal as there was enough room for our travel cot tent and she was entertained for ages looking out for cars going past and the bowling green opposite. The bar /restaurant was just what we wanted too. They have a couple of high chairs and a good range of food including a childrens menu. We could also sit in the bar downstairs to relax once she had gone to bed (with baby monitor in hand).
We found the owner and staff very helpful and welcoming. The bar was buzzing during the day and into the early evening with locals and other regular visitors coming in for food.
Oh and it was only a short walk to the town centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view over the Bowling Green opposite, though may be noiser at weekends, we...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I went to this hotel for a bar lunch with my husband and the service was bad the waitress(blonde large lady) slammed both our plates down and just walked away!!not very welcoming. i had a roast beef dinner the roast potatoes where out of a frozen bag, the beef tasted of nothing and the gravy on both our plates was lumpy and thick .really not happy could not get out of the place quick enough?i have had a meal there a couple of years ago and it was lovely so it really has went down hill for us and we wont be back.....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank storm89
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Stayed here for one night with a friend. We stayed in a room on the top floor, from which we could hear water running in the pipes. There seemed to be some sort of event going on in the bar downstairs, it was pretty loud and the entire hotel smelled of fried food. We couldn't close the window in our room so had to get someone to do it for us. Breakfast was good. All in all, I wouldn't bother coming back to Aberdour hotel, but then I wouldn't bother coming back to Dumfries either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends