“7Stanes biking”
Review of Low Kirkbride Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dumfries
Low Kirkbride Farm
Ranked #21 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Basel
“7Stanes biking”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Did 4 days of biking in some of the 7stanes areas. We booked 3 nights at Low Kirkbride Farm due to the relatively central location. We stayed in a twin room B n B. Very clean, tidy and comfortable. Very welcoming and accommodating owners. Good selection at breakfast with some locally sourced produce. Cooked breakfast was the perfect set up for a days biking. Undercover storage for bikes available too. Surroundings very pleasant and peaceful. Was very impressed with the signage from main roads.
All in all very good B n B. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Our twin room was a tiny bit small for all our cycling gear. Not sure if a bigger room/storage was a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brentwood
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The rating for this farmhouse B & B would have been higher were it not for the very poor treatment I received on the last day of my stay.

Pets are permitted rather than welcome and are not allowed in the main house. On arrival I was pointed to a self catering cottage with no explanation whilst the owner went off to spend some time with the other people who had also just arrived. I waited and when the owner reappeared queried the accommodation as I had booked Bed and Breakfast so was expecting a room - only to be told that this is where they put dogs.

For me, despite the attitude making you feel rather like a pariah, it was quite nice - a lounge to sit in and a small kitchen so could have items there like fresh milk that needed refridgeration. So overall I didn;t mind.

Breakfast was ok, quite acceptable. It was all (with the exception of eggs) cooked much earlier and kept warm in the Aga oven so it was never as nice as it could have been, but to be fair I have had much worse breakfasts.

At times (but not always) when you returned after a day you were offered a cup of tea but this was always served in the lounge (where the dog was not allowed).

What really spoilt my stay was the way I was treated at the end of my stay. I do not think that I would have been treated like this had I not been a single woman. When the room was booked, there was no mention of staying outside the main house, in fact I understood from the conversation there would be a room in the house (but that could easily have been my pre-conception) but certainly I was not told that I would be staying anywhere else. Nor on arrival was there any mention that the cottage would not be available for my sole occupancy during my entire stay.

I was therefore surprised and very very unhappy to be told on the last morning that that night I would be confined to the bedroom and I would have to move my belongings from other parts of the cottage - as there would be another person "Scott" staying in the other part of the cottage. I was told if I needed it someone would "help" to move my belongings. There was no apology, no room for discussion or objection I was just told that this is what was happening. Full Stop. As a result I spent a very cramped, uncomfortable evening with no where to be apart from the bed, something I felt was completely unacceptable. On my return to the cottage the owner greeted me with "are you winning?" with what can only be described as a smirk, when I asked her what she meant she said had I found my way into the bedroom. Oh yes I had - the room had been left unlocked - with my valuable laptop and camera equipment on full display - and this at a time when they were having an open event on the farm with a lot of strangers about. I was extremely unhappy at the cavalier approach to security and wonder what would ahve happened had any of my belongings been taken. The french doors did not shut properly from the outside and could not be locked from the outside - to lock them from the inside took a lot of force to ensure that the door was shut to an extent that allowed the lock to be used. This of course gave me considerable difficulties in obtaining my evening meal and taking the dog for a walk.

Needless to say despite my obvious unhappiness there was no apology, apparently no understanding that what had been done was less than acceptable and certainly no reduction in the bill. I won't stay there again as I do not wish to run the risk of being effectively chucked out of my accommodation prior to the end of my stay.

I have a friend who lives locally to Auldgirth - she is of the opinion that what was done was illegal under Scottish law and has suggested I report the owners to the Tourist Board and take the complaint much further. I am currently considering whether to do this. The owners have my telephone number if they want to discuss these issues. i am guessing not given the level of interest and concern shown during my stay.

Room Tip: Choose another establishment
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Low_Kirkbride, Owner at Low Kirkbride Farm, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I’m so sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and that you felt swept aside by family coming for the event. Yes, I was very enthused by it and I had thought that we had looked after you well, and that you wouldn’t mind at all giving up the suite part of our family suite and managing with the ensuite family room for your last night.

I wish you’d said to us you weren’t happy, I just thought you were worried about Bramble who I knew hadn’t been well during the week.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Well what a find, this is our second stay here at Lower Kirkbride Farm this year. Zan nd Joe make us feel so welcome here. Lovely comfy bed with massage and recliner not that I used it much s my husband Martyn doesn't like the massage lol. Breakfast well it fills us up for the day everything to eat fr breakfast that you could wish for. Then every day after being out we get back here to coffee and tea and the most delicious Victoria sponge we have ever tasted. Love getting up in the mornings and going for a walk down the lane, so peaceful and quite, can't wait for our next visit. A big thank you to Zan and Joe. X

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toulouse
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We loved that in-the-middle-of-nowhere farm where we spent one night in April 2013.
The apartment we stayed in was great for us 5. The children even got to feed the pet lambs. Dinner was excellent, if somewhat overpriced. But that is of little weight given the friendliness of the owners.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just come back from 10 days in the wonderful Dumfries countryside staying at this lovely, clean and well equiped farmhouse. Hosts Zan and Joe are welcoming, very informative on local events, venues and places to walk and visit. Room was warm, clean with a great view (even in 2ft of snow), a really powerful shower. Breakfast is fantastic, all you could expect and more. we had two evening meals in the house due to being snowed in and this was all home made by Zan and again it was better than you could get in a restaraunt. This is a working farm that allowed us to share thier lambing season.
A warm fire in the family room as well as tea and cake greats you when you return from a day out. We would recomend this to anyone staying in this area, we will be going back

Room Tip: We looked at the cheese room which looks fantastic but stayed in the double room in the farmhose and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and we could not fault it. The family made us feel very welcome. The room, food and location are spot on. There is plenty to do in the area from lovely walks, biking, nature watching and local history. We had an evening meal there all farm cooked and it was great. Well signposted from A76.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LancashireBod
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Lovely B&B Farmhouse, stayed in The Cheese Room during our trip to Scotland mountain biking.
Lovely rooms, great bathroom and really powerful, hot shower. Situated in rolling hillsides, the views are beautiful, especially from the conservatory.
Zan our hostess lays on cakes, biscuits and tea for us when we get back from our rides. Plus breakfast in the farmhouse kitchen is ready for us whenever we get up.
Highly recommended, I hope to visit many more times.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Southpark House
Southpark House
#1 of 2 in Locharbriggs
Lauren House B&B, Dumfries

Been to Low Kirkbride Farm? Share your experiences!