“Seriously dropped in standards”

The Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #43 of 48 Dumfries B&B and Inns
Alloa, United Kingdom
“Seriously dropped in standards”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Spent a few nights previously and it was fantastic for what we paid for, good breakfast, clean good room, smiley faces.

Not so this time round. I was so pissed off, I took photos of everything. Our double bed consisted of two singles pushed together - hardly makes for comfy sleeping. Shelves were falling off the wall. Sockets were half way out the wall. The shower light bulb had went, and wasn't replaced when we told them about it. The bed sheets were stained with something that can only resemble that which I'll leave to the imagination of adults. The amount of damage to the boxing round the windows looks as though they could be hiding a damp issue as well.

After the crap sleep, due to the noise getting through the single glazed and not perfectly shutting windows, I then went for a shower to find that as soon as I turned the knob on for the water, the whole knob and fittings fell apart and landed smashing onto the shower tray - not the first time for sure, as there was evidence of this happening previously.

Breakfast was dire, next to no service, and swimming in oil and burnt bits, cheap nasty tasting beans and crap quality sausages/bacon. Only saving grace was the toast.

I'm sorry, this was very dire. I know it's cheap, but it's definitely not cheerful, and for an extra £10 you can get the Premier inn that is just a couple of miles from the town centre, but at least it's spotless, quiet and has decent breakfasts and parking.

Don't go here, honestly, you will be left very annoyed wishing you spent the extra £10 to go somewhere much much better! At least boycott it until they bother improving the place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank weirchri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Closeburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have just returned from a taster evening at the Queensberry. It was fantastic. The food we sampled was brilliant all the staff we met were very helpful. We will so be having our Christmas night out there. The hotel is under new management since I was last there 6 months ago. Loads have improved even the atmosphere. I will do another review soon as i will be back next week for a lunch with friends. Thank you to all I met tonight. I did not stay overnight as I live in the area

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

imagine being woken up by revellers at 4.30 am on a sunday ? then back to blissfull sleep on your very uncomfortable stained sheets / then the smoke alarm alerts start at 5.30 am / happy not.i asked for a full refund for the weekend .i was told that it wasn't the hotels fault the water had set off the smoke alarms.i asked for my money back again ,THE HOTEL AND THE OWNERS the hotel and the owners of this crappy building knew the smoke alarms were not in good working order, the solution was to get the manager to fire watch the building by walking the landings and stairs until the fire engineers arrived.the excuses were reeled out throughout the next day.i spoke to sarah moore ,of the bramwell pubgroup(based in marlow bucks )and demanded my money back still refused .i despair ..so i warn you ,if you need sleepand a peaceful time in Dumfries town I Do not stay in this bloody dumpof an excuse for a hotel ,p.s that weekend was our first wedding anniversary

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dumfries hotels

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Came here as a party of 6 at about 2.30 on a sunday
The place wasnt busy at all
Had to sit at 2 dirty tables
Went to the bar to order and was told to sit down and she will come and get our order as she was busy. I told her that our tables were dirty too and she said she would clean them.
10 minutes later she came over to take our order. They didnt have what one person wanted so he decided not to have anything. She took the rest of our order.. leaning over my table and she was really badly smelling of body odour.
She left and then brought our drinks over.
Came back and she told us she didn't have what another person wanted either so two people decided to leave and go somewhere else.
I eventually had to ask for a cloth to wipe the table and she came out and quickly done it but left the tables soaking wet
Our food came out a good half an hour later and we had to ask for cutlery
Chicken burger came in a disgusting sweet French roll and not a bun
The chips were cold
The scampi came in a basket which I thought was very unhygienic
We paid for 6 onion rings and two of them were about the size of a ring.... TINY
There was barely any ketchup in the bottles and the salt and pepper and everything in the condiment boxes weren't clean
Went to the bathroom and my brother told me that the floor was flooded in the gents
In the ladies the sanitary towel bins were overflowing and had nappies sitting on them
There were no toilet seats on some and some cubicles lights were out so we decided against using them
When we came downstairs the girl asked if we could settle our bill
To be honest I didn't really want to pay for anything
I asked if there was somewhere I could write to and she gave me their address which I will be writing to
I told her about the toilets and she said that the cleaner was in at 6 in the morning. There was no way that the mess had been made that day!

• Stayed September 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were meeting friends from Edinburgh who we hadn't seen for a year, so rather than staying with one or the other, we degcided to meet up for a weekend catchup.
We chose Dumfries as it is pretty much th same distance for either of us to travel.
We chose the queens berry because......... Not quite sure!!
We arrived via several circuits of the one way system to find that you park behind a furniture store on some wasteland in the vague area of the hotel.
The pub part of the place promises real ale writh 3 hand pumps on the bar, but doesn't actually have real ale.
We had lunch when we arrived and whilst 'adequate' didn't inspire us.
For the evening meal we went to a Chinese restaurant which I regret not getting the name of since it was very good, but we then returned to The Queensberry to chat. Come 10:00 pm you can forget chatting as the place becomes a night club which goes on until 2PM!!
As people realised how poor it was and left, they turned the volume up. Then when the next people left they turned it up again and again until those of us sat next to each other could not even hear what we were shouting at each other.
Breakfast was 'acceptable' but I would go no further. The bacon had been done in a grill which hadn't been cleaned in ages judging by the burned lumps on it!
The shower didn't run away properly, the toilet didn't flush properly an the light fitting hangs out of the ceiling in the bathroom.
By now you are probably getting that this wasn't my favourite place to stay!

Room Tip: Higher number as lower numbers are over the disco
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kevin W
greenock
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week in a twin room, room was lovely, spacious, clean, and the en-suite was really nice. The only bad things about the stay were the food downstairs wasn't nice. The breakfast tasted like it had been in a pan that hasn't been cleaned in months, infact there was black oily dust on everything with the breakfast so after Monday I had toast and cereal. The rooms are 3 floors up (1 of them is a spiral staircase) so people with mobility issues might want to avoid. But overall happy with the room for what we paid.

• Stayed September 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was in dumfries again today on business, after the reviews I have read over the past week I have been utterly surprised, I came into this establishment for the hunters chicken and the fudge cake, I could not find one fault! The chicken was so juicy and the sauce they use on the chicken was amazing, the fudge cake wasnt too sickly either,the bar staff couldnt be more helpful, all the staff are a credit to this establishment and need to keep up the good work, everywhere has theyre faults at times but the queensberry hotel has truly turned themselves around with their reputation.

Thanks for a wonderful meal and servuce

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business