Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Review Highlights
Hill walking with Martin

I recently had the pleasure of joining two other women on a day-long hill walk in the Perth... read more

Reviewed February 10, 2019
hrepko
via mobile
Exploring early Celtic history on the West coast of Scotland

Reviewed November 15, 2018
Andrew J

All reviews isle of lewis loch ness caledonian canal an adventure few trips great trip his knowledge out of the way off the beaten track experienced guide great company hill walking martin skye itinerary lochs skiing
Reviewed November 15, 2018

Having been granted some time of leave from work, I contacted Martin (a former colIeague) to see if he could arrange a trip for me for 4 days. I wanted the time to include hill walking, some time to reflect and the opportunity to learn something of the history of Celtic Christianity on the West coast of Scotland.
At short notice, Martin willingly and ably put together an itinerary which included all these elements.
We based ourselves at a hostel right on the edge of Loch Awe - a wonderful peaceful spot. The hostel was very comfortable and well priced.
We did various trips out from there driving up to an hour taking us as far as Crinan, for marvellous views of the sea and islands and seeing a hill fort, and the top of Loch Awe to climb a corbett which was demanding but magnificent. Along the way Martin had planned the visit to include visiting various key Celtic sites.
The weather was very variable and Martin was flexible to change the programme as necessary.

The highlight for me was the 'course' Martin had prepared for me to learn about Celtic Christianity. He skillfully wove this into our trips and walks over the days. Martin has huge knowledge in this area. He shared with me about the key saints and people of that time as we drove and as we walked and then then we would discuss. We visited places such as St Columba's cave, St Conan's Kirk, and Kilmory Knap Chapel (to see Celtic grave stones). In order to discover the fuller picture of life at that time we also visited Fort Dunadd where the Dalraida kings were crowned as well as standing stones and tumulae erected by the druids. Martin prepared and left me with some substantial and very helpful written notes from what he shared. These are a very helpful reminder.
It was a wonderful and memorable trip. I would highly recommend Martin just as a walking guide but also as a specialist teacher in the area of Celtic history.

Date of experience: October 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2018

Thank you Andrew for this hearty endorsement of the Celtic Christian retreat on Loch Awe. I very much appreciated your interest and conversation, making the experience truly enjoyable for me too.

Reviewed October 10, 2018

Four of us (all adults) spent seven days touring northern Scotland and Sky with Martin Haworth as our guide. It was our first time visiting Scotland and he made everything easy by planning accommodations, places to eat, attractions and hikes. He even picked us up in Glasgow. Our group had eclectic interests and every day was a balanced itinerary of visiting ancient sites, castles, tiny fishing villages and hiking, eating and shopping. He adjusted our schedule as new opportunities came along such as a visit to the out-of-the-way unmarked place where Gavin Maxwell lived when he kept the otters featured in his book, Ring of Bright Water. That became a kind of pilgrimage for me. I can't imagine finding many of the places we visited without Martin and it was particularly nice that he could talk about what we were seeing. Throughout our trip he remained good-humored and kind, really an ideal and trustworthy traveling companion who made every day feel safe and easy. I can't imagine a better person to see northern Scotland with.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank leslieaskwith
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2018

Thank you Leslie for this encouraging review. It was certainly a pleasure to show you and your lovely family around Scotland's west coast and Skye. Much appreciated.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

My sister connected with Martin, owner of RoamingScotland, who put together a comprehensive trip for us that included unique lodging, traveling through less touristy areas, and seeing ancient remnants of buildings and breathtaking vistas. He recommended local restaurants, driving us to and back to our lodging, and being available at any time to ensure we had a great trip.
Martin, who is a very interesting and thoughtful gentleman told stories about the places we went. He drove us around for a full week, ensuring that we saw the best of the country, particularly Skye, which one shouldn’t miss! My sister was into hiking and so he took us to great wild areas, while I was into foraging, and I collected cockles on the seashore, and examined wild mushrooms.

This trip was not over priced, especially it being just my sister, brother in law, brother, and me (we are all senior citizens) in the mini van he transported us in. I would recommend You consider Martin if you want to see Scotland with someone who knows it well, is a good driver on all the narrow roads, and is so easy and comfortable to be with.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank creativesearch

Thank you for this warm commendation - very much appreciated. I enjoyed showing you all around Skye and beyond. Thanks for your special interest in so much of what you saw.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

It was such a cracking day! We went on a day trip to climb a pathless hill (Creag Uchdag ). Martin is a really great guide, he showed me how to use a compass and a map and was testing my skills along the way. He has a lot of stories to tell and knows so much about Scotland! The views were fantastic and there was almost nobody else around. A perfect way to get away from the crowds and enjoy nature. We were lucky enough so come across a big herd of deer as well. I have never climbed a pathless hill before so it was a good lesson and a great adventure. If you want to explore the Scottish wilderness, Roaming Scotland would be a perfect way to do so !

Date of experience: June 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2018

Hi Iza,
Indeed it was a cracking day. Thanks so much for your kind words and keep honing those navigational skills. Looking forward to you coming on another adventure off the path.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

My mother and I spend a week in Scotland of which two days were spend with Martin from Roaming Scotland. Those two days were definitely the best of our holiday. We joined two single day trips: Island retreat & arrochar alps and Trossachs & St Fillan. Both of these were absolutely wonderful. The nature was stunning and the places Martin took us to were not overcrowded with tourists. Martin would accomedate to our wishes and was very flexible with the programme of our day. Futhermore, he was able to tell you a lot about the background history of the places we visited. This made the whole experience come alive. If I ever go back to Scotland, I will most definitly do another trip with Roaming Scotland and everyone going to Scotland cannot miss out on this!

Date of experience: August 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Hello Koos,
It was a very enjoyable two days for me too, showing you and your mother around as you were so appreciative. I hope one day you'll be able to make it back to Scotland.