Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Review Highlights
Hill walking with Martin

I recently had the pleasure of joining two other women on a day-long hill walk in the Perth... read more

Reviewed February 10, 2019
hrepko
via mobile
Excellence in expertise and enjoyment

This was a day to get out on some hills with safe and knowledgeable route selection and excellent... read more

Reviewed November 26, 2018
alantower
Reading, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews isle of lewis loch ness caledonian canal an adventure few trips great trip his knowledge out of the way off the beaten track experienced guide great company hill walking martin skye itinerary lochs skiing
Reviewed October 8, 2018

My sister connected with Martin, owner of RoamingScotland, who put together a comprehensive trip for us that included unique lodging, traveling through less touristy areas, and seeing ancient remnants of buildings and breathtaking vistas. He recommended local restaurants, driving us to and back to our lodging, and being available at any time to ensure we had a great trip.
Martin, who is a very interesting and thoughtful gentleman told stories about the places we went. He drove us around for a full week, ensuring that we saw the best of the country, particularly Skye, which one shouldn’t miss! My sister was into hiking and so he took us to great wild areas, while I was into foraging, and I collected cockles on the seashore, and examined wild mushrooms.

This trip was not over priced, especially it being just my sister, brother in law, brother, and me (we are all senior citizens) in the mini van he transported us in. I would recommend You consider Martin if you want to see Scotland with someone who knows it well, is a good driver on all the narrow roads, and is so easy and comfortable to be with.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank creativesearch
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2018

Thank you for this warm commendation - very much appreciated. I enjoyed showing you all around Skye and beyond. Thanks for your special interest in so much of what you saw.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

It was such a cracking day! We went on a day trip to climb a pathless hill (Creag Uchdag ). Martin is a really great guide, he showed me how to use a compass and a map and was testing my skills along the way. He has a lot of stories to tell and knows so much about Scotland! The views were fantastic and there was almost nobody else around. A perfect way to get away from the crowds and enjoy nature. We were lucky enough so come across a big herd of deer as well. I have never climbed a pathless hill before so it was a good lesson and a great adventure. If you want to explore the Scottish wilderness, Roaming Scotland would be a perfect way to do so !

Date of experience: June 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2018

Hi Iza,
Indeed it was a cracking day. Thanks so much for your kind words and keep honing those navigational skills. Looking forward to you coming on another adventure off the path.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

My mother and I spend a week in Scotland of which two days were spend with Martin from Roaming Scotland. Those two days were definitely the best of our holiday. We joined two single day trips: Island retreat & arrochar alps and Trossachs & St Fillan. Both of these were absolutely wonderful. The nature was stunning and the places Martin took us to were not overcrowded with tourists. Martin would accomedate to our wishes and was very flexible with the programme of our day. Futhermore, he was able to tell you a lot about the background history of the places we visited. This made the whole experience come alive. If I ever go back to Scotland, I will most definitly do another trip with Roaming Scotland and everyone going to Scotland cannot miss out on this!

Date of experience: August 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Hello Koos,
It was a very enjoyable two days for me too, showing you and your mother around as you were so appreciative. I hope one day you'll be able to make it back to Scotland.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

ผมทนไม่ไหวจนต้องมารีวิว มันเป็น ประสบการณ์ที่เยี่ยมที่สุด อย่างนึวในชึวิต ออกตัวก่อนเลยว่า ผมเคยไปปั่นจักยานมาหลายประเทศ ทั้งในไทยและต่างประเทศ นอกจากนิวซีแลนน์แล้ว ที่นี่ เป็น 1 ใน the Best ก็ว่าได้ เอาหล่ะ สถานที่ก็ส่วนนึง แต่ แต่ รูปแบบทริปของ Martin นั้นน่าสนใจมาก “ คุณจะไม่มีวันได้รู้เลยว่า ชีวิตคน Local เป็นอย่างไร ถ้าคุณไม่ได้เดินทางกับคน Local จริงๆ” Martin พาผมไปนอนกางเต้น อยู่ริมทะเลบนเกาะ isle of skye แทนที่จะนอน hostel หรือ B&B ซึ่งมันอาจแปลกแต่ มันเป็นสิ่งที่คนพื้นที่เขาทำกันในวันหยุด long weekend การได้มาสัมผัส อารมณ์แบะความรู้สึกแบบนี้ จ้างด้วยอาหารหรู อาทิตย์นึง ก็ไม่ยอมสะละ ถ้าคุณเป็นคนชอบธรรมชาติ ชอบลุย หรือ ชอบเที่ยวสัมผัสขีวิตในชนบท >>>> เขานี่แหละ ตอบโจทย์ ที่สุด ผมแนะนำครับ

จากคนไทยคนหนึ่งที่เรียนที่ Scotland
Pun

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Nattaphat P
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2018

Hi Pun,

It was very good having you as part of the group on the Isle of Skye. I can't comment on your review as I don't know Thai, but I appreciate that you wrote in your own language which will speak to other Thai people. Many thanks for the 5 star rating.

Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

Wow- this was one of the most beautiful vacations we have ever gone on! We were looking for a walking trip in Scotland and found Roaming Scotland on the internet. Martin responded to our inquiry and put together an excellent itinerary for us. We met Martin in Fort William where we boarded a steam train to Mallaig. At one point half of the riders excitingly moved to look out the windows on the left side of the train to look at arched bridge. Martin explained that it’s been filmed for Harry Potter movies!
Arriving in Mallaig we had time to roam around the seaport and dined outdoors at an amazing restaurant. We then boarded a ferry to EIgg, an island in The Inner Hebrides. For 3 days Martin guided us along seaside trails, cows and sheep our only companions. Martin knows so much about the history of the Island. He was always cheerful and encouraging. We explored all the local dining spots, including a Fair that featured local crafts and food. He also took us to a historic sea cave. Every night he’d take us to see the most breathtaking sunsets. When this vacation ended we came away with a lot of great memories and a friend for life! We hope to come back next year to see a different area to explore

Date of experience: June 2018
Martin H, Owner at Roaming Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

Hi Anne,

Many thanks for this review - your enthusiasm helped me to re-live a very enjoyable experience showing you and your family around this wonderful island. Come back again before too long.