Tibbie Shiels Camping
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsst mary's lochalistairdogrevampquirky
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 7, 2009

To start off, Tibbie Sheils has been extermely welcoming both to my family and my friends! The management below, who many of the other reviewers seem to dislike, is actually very laid back, easy to chat to, extremley friendly & helpful! I cannot praise him more to be perfectly honest!
The accomodation, b&b, whilst very basic, is pleasant and comfortable. Obviously, there is going to be insects- you are staying in the middle of nowhere in Scotland!!

And yes, i will be going back!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kifiskeef
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Here is a copy of the email I sent to the Manager/ Landlord (Alistair Moody) on 27/05/09 which is self explanatory. I have not had any reply .
"Dear Mr Moody,
I was very disappointed and upset from our experience at Tibbie Shiels yesterday. I thought that I had found a perfect place for a family get together and lunch but it turned out to be a total fiasco.
My daughter could not believe that anything like that could happen in this country and that is why she expressed her feelings directly to you before leaving. I do not wish to leave the matter like this but I would like to hear your side of the story before taking further action.
1. You promised me THREE times, twice on phone and once by email, that you would mail me a copy of the menu but nothing happened.
2. You were very happy to take my booking, by email AND by phone but when we reached there at the agreed time of 12:30 you were no where to be seen and the staff on duty had no knowledge of the booking.
3. Poor staff on duty were clearly out of their depth and you did not appear on the scene till 2:15 pm.
4. Food was tolerable and thank God no one has been ill but the service was appalling and while waiting and looking around we were shocked to see the poor standard of hygiene.
I await you reply with interest
Yours faithfully
Dr S S Bajoria"

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
9  Thank gwaliorwala
Reviewed May 20, 2009

manager with an appalling attitude. scenery was stunning with being right on the lake side. meals are very poor value for money expensive and very basic.woild not go again unless the management was to change,we have never been spoken or treat the way that we wre we were totally appalled .the manager said that he was tired with being up late the night before ,but that can or should not be forwarded onto new residents

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
8  Thank CUMBRIASHAZZ
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Just popped in while out for a day trip. Gorgeous scenery, good, if narrow roads. Tibbie Sheils Inn itself was everything a traveller would want. Clean, welcoming, warm (stove/fire) friendly, good food and smiling hosts. It's also dog friendly to well behaved dogs. A really good experience. 10 out of 10 for everything. Will be back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Looking at the outside, it does looks like it's in need of a little TLC but, once inside, any changes would ruin the character of the place. The new landlords took over in summer 2008, and are really making a great effort. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food was, whilst basic, was varied and tasty.

Whilst the location helped our enjoyment (we walked a lot), it was the attitude of the landlords (Alistair and Selina) and some of the locals that made it work for us. Everyone was so welcoming that we've already made plans to return.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" does apply, but we got more than we bargained for - excellent location, good weather, very welcoming landlords, great food, and good company all round. Heaven!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple