“Ideal for a 1 Night Stay in the Borders”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Selkirk
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for just 1 night in the Borders town of Selkirk. We were a family of 4 and right from the time of booking I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Calling me back when they could not accommodate me in the first instance and seeing if they could make a few changes to accommodate us - which they did.

We had room 6 on the top floor, which was an excellent size for the 4 of us. The room had a separate little seating area. The bathroom was on the smaller size (shower & toilet) but more than enough for us for the night. Around the base of the shower was a little on the mouldy side so that could do with a little freshening up! But overall was very clean.

Bed Linen and Towels were beautifully clean and I felt more than comfortable in the bed that night when I went to sleep. The room was also very nicely decorated and was fresh and clean.

Only down side the floors were a bit squeaky but guess that is all part of the charm of the hotel and there wasn't much of a view out the window.

We had a family dinner in the restaurant (10 of us in total - 4 Children 6 Adults). I had Fish and Chips and I have to say they were lovely. My hubby had the steak and although he likes it med/rare it was quite rare even for him. One of the adults also had lamb, which was a little tough but generally the meals were quite good.

Would stay again if in the area for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My sister and I stayed 1night here in July due to its proximity to Abottsford and Bowhill. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was small - door hit the sink. shower was tiny but functional. Dinner in the restaurant was just ok - but breakfast was well done - have the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Would recommend for basic, clean stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Often go to the County for a drink or meal when visiting family in Selkirk.

The staff are always friendly as are the managers/owners.

The food is excellent in the restaurant and we have never been disappointed.

Sometimes the atmosphere is a bit flat but maybe that is due to the times we visit? However can't complain as it ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

A wonderful homely hotel in Selkirk. We were in the area for a wedding. The room was large, clean and had a great bathroom. The breakfast was excellent and they catered for gluten free.
The highlight for us was the excellent manager. He was full of suggestions of what to do, helped to arrange a walk with guests staying at other hotels in the area. I also asked about a dry cleaners nearby and he called all the local places to find out the opening hours. Good location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Iwanttolivebythesea
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of June 2013. We didn't know what to expect and we were really pleasantly surprised. The rooms were of a really good standard. We had dinner in the restaurant on the night we arrived. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and helpful. I'm going to be dreaming of the breakfasts when we go back home and it's back to coffee and a quick bowl of cereal before work. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: if the occasional car noise would interrupt your sleep ask for a room not on the street side .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feed-back. We do take all feed-back very seriously, as it is the only way we can always try to improve. Our aim is to provide good quality traditional hospitality. I am glad to see that we seem to have achieved our aim on your visit. Thank you for sharing this with others - it means a lot to us and our staff.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent a couple of nights at the County Hotel earlier this month while visiting to look at places we might move to in the area. I arrived very late on the bus, but it was no problem for the friendly woman at the desk. The room was spacious and pleasant, looking out onto the market square. The bed was very comfortable, and everything was nice and clean. I really enjoyed my stay and had supper in the restaurant as well, which was great. Selkirk is a great base for exploring the Borders. I spent an afternoon hiking around the edge of Ettrick Forest, which was really pleasant. And the price was very good, too.

Room Tip: My mobile phone only got signal if I was fairly near the window on the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having not been in this hotel since I was a teenager I was pleasantly surprised on how in has been transformed into a very nice country hotel. Service from stepping through the front door to exiting on departure was first class and shall definitely return again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selkirk
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells
Mansfield House Hotel
The Horse and Hound Country Inn
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!