“Excellent staff, great breakfasts, really poor room.”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Selkirk
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Place was fairly easy to find, followed the road into Selkirk and on getting to town centre its almost a sharp left and you in the hotel car park. Stayed here two nights. Ate in the little Italian next door which is next to and part of the hotel, it was really nice and also ate breakfast both days which was great and lunch one day which was also good quality. Service here was great, although staff seem to do a multiple of jobs they are fast efficient and really friendly. Room wasn't so great, it was clean which should be a given in any hotel, but it was noisy as it overlooked the main street and we could hear deliveries and people shouting at night. It was old, pretty shabby and had basically seen better days, the shower room\toilet room was so small you could hardly move. Also, the floor seemed to be really uneven as we both almost fell over getting out of bed, you think you are really drunk at first and then realize its just the floor!

All in all, this could be a great wee hotel but the rooms need a complete overhaul.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TrondDalby, Owner at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are pleased that you were happy with our staff and the service that was provided during your stay, and also our food offering.
The hotel is centrally located, and occasionally there will be some noise from street level. Our bedrooms are to a VisitScotland 3 star level, and are in a continuous - albeit slow - improvement process. This should be reflected in the price.
I hope you enjoyed your stay with us - our aim is to offer comfortable hospitality in the Scottish Borders.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We found this hotel in the local accommodation guide, traditional appearance outside and the reception area but the rest is very modern minimalistic decor which we personally found lacked character for an old inn. We were up two flights of stairs but room ok and clean, nice en suite. Dinner was pretty basic for the price we both had the steak which I would not recommend but there was a good choice on the menu. In the bar lounge again modern decor but comfortable and friendly staff. Nice breakfast served in first floor dining room. Would only revisit if there was a special offer price.

Room Tip: Try for first floor if they have any.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My parents live in Selkirk yet this is the first time we have ever been to La Contea. My Boyfriend, my brother, my sister in law and I are all Vegetarians and we were amazed by the choices available to us but fear not meat eaters as both my mum and dad had brilliant meat and seafood dishes! We all had different starters and main courses to each other and were all left completely satisfied. We were served by a lady called Kelly who was very informative and friendly. She also made us aware that the entire menu is available for take away!! We will definitely be going back to this lovely local restaurant. Also located next door is a bar that does tasty cocktails and wine for before or after.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Travelled down from Glasgow, as I had a early morning appointment in Galashiels. Looked online and nothing in Galashiels really caught the eye. Looked at the County and thought, yeah it will do - decent price for a twin room - small town/village where there is bound to be some real ale so went to book it. I always book twins or doubles for me so I have room to work, it brought a wry smile when at booking the price was actually reduced for single occupancy. £ 41 a bargain.

We rocked up and found a private car park, - result. The check in was seemless, the chap (one of the partners who owned the gaff) offered to take bags up for us and explained everything. My room I thought was well presented, clean and roomy, my colleague was in Room 6. I have no idea what the other 4 are like, but ask for Room 6 if you want space (no view to speak of) - I was disappointed with mine after (despite a lovely outlook onto the main street), yet there was nothing wrong with mine. If you don't get room 6 don't ask what its like.

We were there in the blistering heat when the daytime temperatures hit 30 degree. The hotel has a bistro restaurant and served meals in the bar also. Plus they have a Pizza Restaurant attached, however the only facilities for outside eating were a table and chairs outside the bar on the pavement which was disappointing. As a result we walked up the street to find a takeaway (of which there are plenty) and enjoyed the fresh air.

I tend to judge pubs by the language of the people outside having a fag, so a walk down the main street ensured that a the hotel bar was the best place in the village to have a drink, With real ale in bottles having such a long life I wonder why country hotels like this do not promote and sell bottled local real ale. I could have killed for a few bottles but instead suffered Cold Guinness. However the lounge bar is a thoroughly pleasant environment and myself and my colleague spent over 3 hours sorting out global economic issues whilst our UHT Beer took a grip. We were in quite early and there were few people in so the bar staff brought our drinks to the table. Towards the end of the our stay a few locals began to arrive.

I was at the front above the main street and despite Selkirk being on a main A road, it quietens down early enough to get a good nights sleep and after enjoying 28/29 degrees in the day the rooms were pretty hot but whether it was the guinness or not, I slept through without issue with the sliding sash open on full - until the church bells woke me up at 5.00, then 6.00 then 7.00.

Didn't matter as I am an early riser and I was as bright as a button, except I have never felt so relaxed on a business morning in my life. Despite a few guiness I was far from over the top and there was no issues in the morning, the hotel just has a happy aura about it which puts you in a very positive frame of mind . Free wifi in the room, although my colleague said Room 6 had signal issues. Breakfast was just class - it just seemed so out of place having an bacon and eggs presented a la carte.

How on earth these guys make this pay is beyond me. I guess midweek it is just about being open. The women behind the bar said the restaurant had 2 covers all night, the lounge bar itself was very quiet and they were not taking the rise by overcharging for drinks so that was hardly a money spinner. The time they have been there suggests they know what they are doing and with a couple function rooms have a very nice venue.

Seriously whether its one night or two, if you find you self in TD postcode looking for a short stop, take a look at this place. I cannot think of one negative

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend break in early March having received a discount voucher from Vist Scotland which reduced our rate to £117.50 (B&B) for the 2 night stay.

The hotel was not immediately located upon arrival in the town and we drove past a couple of times before asking for directions.

A small car park at the rear of the hotel accessed via an archway was convenient although as a first impression the broken rear gates to the car park did not look good and generally the rear of the hotel was unimprssive.

Entance via the front door led into a small reception area and visitors need to ring for assistance - not unreasonable as it is a small hotel. The owners have a Norwegian connection and this is eveident from an old Norwegian till being plced on the reception counter!

Our room (3) was on the 2nd floor and acessed via 2 flights of stairs - staff were willing to help carry up luggage etc.

The room was smaller than expected but comfortable enough and had good wi fi access. The TV was small but had all freeview channels. A tea tray (with water and biscuits) was provided as was a hairdryer etc.

Apart from some areas being cramped the only real niggle was the desk lamp not working and the lack of sockets - I could only plug in lap top/phone to re-charge if disconnecting other items.

The bathroom was also small and could only fit in a corner shower. It was functional and a range of toiletries were provided. A DIY repair job on the shower hose was the only complaint apart from its size.

Being situated at the front of the hotel there was some traffic noise and some noise noted from adjoining rooms - however not a major problem.

The hotel also runs a small Italian restaurant next door and on our first night we ate there rather than in the hotel. The food/service was fine although apart from ourselves there were only 3 other customers on a Friday night so the place lacked atmosphere.

Breakfast in the hotel was served on the 1st floor dining room and there was agood choice of fresh rolls/crosants, fruit salad, yoghurts, cereals etc as well as the standard cooked breakfast. Only regional options were porridge and kippers.

The lounge bar downstairs had comfy seats and was well used by locals as well as residents. There was a good range of coffees but limited other drinks. Id have thought some local brewed ales and a decent range of malt whiskies would be a priority for such establishments!!

Overall we had a satisfactory stay and staff were friendly enough. At the advertised rate of £96pn I would however expect much more so any return visits will depend upon the price.

Room Tip: There is some road noise but it dies down early evening.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Good hotel with nice decorations. They were kind enough to put the price down enough for us to afford it. Felt bad fir getting such a good price in the end because it was very nice and the service was great. They were very good at making sure you had everything you want. Good central location. Shops, bank and visitor centre(when open) are very close. Room was beautiful and spacious.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed late 2009 excuse the late post but only just joined trip advisor, great service. Room was large and clean, breakfast great and the evening meal even better would defiantly stay again. Very central location in Selkirk.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selkirk
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
The Clovenfords Hotel
The Clovenfords Hotel
#2 of 2 in Galashiels
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!