“went on the wrong day!”

Lochcarron of Scotland Visitor Centre
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Selkirk
More attraction details
Owner description: Lochcarron Visitor Centre, in the heart of the Scottish Borders, offers our famous mill tours where you see all aspects of tartan production, then peruse our Visitor Centre and shop for knitwear, tartan and our fabulous accessories as well as taking a look at our lovely gift shop - Our newly expanded coffee shop offers Starbucks coffee, home made cakes, scones and light lunches! Well worth a visit!
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Drove all the way to Selkirk with my daughter only to find out Lochcarron don't do tours on a Friday. I asked one of the workers and she said sometimes they do allow a few people to go round and see it so i just needed to ask the manager. I asked and tbe manager said "the factory is closed on a Friday so there is nothing to see." Went back to the worker who told me the factory didn't close til noon (it was half ten) on Fridays and was operating that morning. I was disappointed, but then found out they charge £5 per person for the tours! This is not printed on their brochure.
If the manager had been kinder i would try and go back, but she must have been having a bad day.
The shop is very overpriced and the cafe charged £1.80 for a juice and £1.80 for a small gluten free bar.

1  Thank esingnrain

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Seeing that I am in Canada I am curious about Trow Mill. My grandmother was born in galashiels and her family had a Trow mill in the 1800's early 1900's I am curious to know if this is the one and if so where i would be able to find more of a history about it

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This visit was with my mum who is in her early 60s. Visit was July and the attraction was deserted. Service NIL and not worth detouring out of your way. It really is a shame as it was a total let down and could have been so much more. Not much for children.

We went to try the cafe first however no food was on offer as "they only serve food earlier in the day" at which point the server turned his back on me as he appeared to be shutting down. It was also 13.20 which I still understood to be lunch time. I continued to be ignored and decided given the rudeness and emptiness it was time to leave and find another location.

The shop had goods which were produced by the Mill however they were expensive. The clothes were of country gent style with a heavy price tag.

There is nothing else surrounding the location and as such there was nothing else to keep you at the location for longer.

The mill was still shut for holidays despite this being peak time so, we did not experience this element. There appeared to be a fee for the supposed 'attraction'.

3  Thank lindsay b
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

We each had a Ploughman's consisting of 4 sandwiches, crisps and salad together with large Starbucks coffee. Bill less than £10. Saw others with huge bowls of soup and plates full of food. Friendly staff in nice surroundings. Did not have time for Factory tour. Will stop here again.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Great value and amazing sandwich.........................