Cross Keys Inn
Kingsknowes Hotel(Galashiels)
  • Bar/Lounge
Burt's Hotel(Melrose)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubnachosgroupon dealfour poster bedhuge portionsmile drivechef paulquiz nightgreat customer experiencebattered mushroomsfriendly landladyprawn cocktailgreat foodwell worth a visitgreat wee placecontinental breakfasthidden away
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This was a one night stop over with my in laws and partner to experience the Borders first hand. Lots of plus points here: the bar itself has a division between diners and drinkers which is a real bonus, there is a separate entrance for residents (so you don't have to walk through the bar to get to your room) and there's ample parking. At only 55pounds a night per room, B&B, I didn't expect to get quite such a nice room with a vintage four poster bed and lots of floor space. Linen and toweling excellent and mattress very good. We slept well. My in laws got a large room with a balcony and mountain views but there was a noisy boiler behind the dry wall in their room which did make their room hot and also a little noisy. By 23h00, it had switched off, though.

Service was generally excellent: particularly enjoyed the young man in the bar and also Linda, I think it was, who served us breakfast. Would have liked to meet the owners a little more, Liz and Scott, but we nodded heads.

Food was average to above average pub fare: we weren't expecting a gastronomic experience and we got good food at a reasonable price.

What would I change? The boiler issue was a problem, I thought, and I'd definitely add wifi as the village has no cellphone reception which is a problem for me. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get the room with the four poster!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The rooms were large and the beds comfortable. The room beverage items need to be reviewed . The peace and quiet was wonderful. As was the location. The beers on offer in the bar were a little odd to my taste. Elderflower flavoured beers are not my cup of tea. The Guinness was a good fall back though. The food could be and does need to be improved in some areas. The landlord , was a little dour but maybe this a trait of Scots innkeepers.
The service in the dining area needs more experience, the youngsters would benefit from some proffessional training. I would say that this is a great place to stay if you want peace and quiet and lovely scenery.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank donuttaster
Reviewed July 13, 2011

As the Landlord told us, we were not disappointed by the Scottish Breakfast.

Very good value for money on all accounts.

Would recommend

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We only stayed for one night on our way to Scotland in a party of 10. Consequently we took all 5 of their rooms. They had forewarned us that one room was a small double.

We ended up in room 1 with a four poster bed. The room was large, light and airy and the bathroom a good size.

Parking was important to us as we were travelling in classic/vintage cars to a car rally in Scotland. It was great; hidden away behind the Inn.

The evening meal was very nice. The price was reasonable (to us) and seemed to have sufficient choice to appeal to most pallets. One niggle was that I asked for tea after my meal and was given the usual teapot and cup but one of those little cartons of milk that were also provided in the room. I mentioned it to the young lad serving us (and the bar at the same time) and he immediately corrected this and provided a small jug of fresh milk.

In the morning the young man serving us at breakfast explained that he hoped we had been happy with the service as he did not usually serve breakfast but his father was ill. The service was absolutely fine. The lady cooking the breakfast cooked each room order in order – she explained that that was what she was doing. Presumably the father/husband was normally the cook. It meant that the breakfast was all lovely and freshly cooked but room 5 had a little wait.

I wonder if the family illness meant they were firing on 5 rather than the full 6 cylinders. I noticed cobwebs in the ceiling corners in the bathroom and on a decorative wicker item on the wall and some of the UHT cream cartons on the tea/coffee tray were out of date. In all important ways – bathroom, linen, towels, floors etc the room was spotlessly clean.

I am sure the above will be immediately rectified and those welcoming us and serving us were all very friendly and helpful. For example, we had “lost” an elderly couple from our convoy and mobile phone reception was non existent at the Inn – they kindly let us ring the couple’s mobile from their land line to try to locate them.

We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2011

While I and my brother stayed only one night, it was perfect. We had an excellent supper, with fine beers, and scotch from a bar holding over 100 types. I slept in the most comfortable bed I have slept in while traveling, and my brother also commented on the comfort of his bed. We showered the next morning in a shower that could have a bit more water pressure -- something to work on perhaps! -- but given the sheer lovliness of the larger picture, that weighs little. We came down to a great Scottish breakfast, friendly service, and a price / quality ratio that was one of the best I have ever had. We recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends