All reviews wee dram could not have been more haggis neeps and tatties amazing hosts great grandfather lorne sausage comfy bed home cooked evening meal southern upland way night cap offer food massive selection memorable stay packed lunch pot of tea rooms are lovely
Reviewed June 16, 2018

I was walking the Southern Upland Way and this hotel is close to the route. They offer a pick up and drop off service for walkers which was much appreciated. The owners were very welcoming, the room was not a typical hotel room but more like a home from home. I had a great nights sleep. The evening meal was good, and breakfast was excellent, a wide choice from traditional Scottish breakfast to kippers or croissants. A really nice touch was the wee dram left in the room as a night cap. The owners did me a great packed lunch for the long walk I was to do the next day.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic visit for refreshments on a hot day. The landlord went above and beyond to make sure myself, my husband and our seven year old daughter were well cared for. It was our second visit and we can not fault the pub or the service.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie M
Reviewed May 9, 2018

Rab & Gail couldn't have been more accomodating. A wonderful Inn in a wonderful location. The breakfasts are just to die for! Great selection of whiskies in the bar and great to talk to the locals.Looking forward to my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
5  Thank Frank P
Reviewed April 2, 2018

I loved my stay. Rab and Gail were lovely, friendly and very happy to make up my special diet porridge. Great on info about the place and I'm going back again twice more this year. I saw the men's breakfast and they were proper breakfasts. I was unable to eat them but watched the 2 guests tucking in with appreciative sounds. Room was right temperature for me and warm when I woke up. It was so peaceful and pretty in the surroundings.My favourite moment was the day I left and stood with camera near Ettrick village and took photos of a beautiful Red Squirrel who had run past my feet.I had a drink in the bar when I got there and it was packed and a bit noisy but to be expected in the smallish area. Certainly people were enjoying it.I didn't hear any noise in my bedroom at all. The cost of the room was very good. I'll definitely be back later in the year again twice. Don't expect Mobile phones or internet to work as it is a valley but you can drive a few miles down the road and get a signal there. I rather enjoyed the lack of it and the peace for once.The area is beautiful and Tushielaw can offer food but if you stay you have to remember it is a long way to fashion or food shops but plenty of history in the area. Jedburgh Abbey, Kelso, Melrose, cycling, walking. Lots in the Ettrick valley itself.Thanks for making my stay so comfortable.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Jacqui A
Reviewed March 28, 2018

A lovely little Inn in a beautiful place to break a trip for a night. The place is owner operated and the owner can appear a little gruff, give him a go. He is a good guy who is trying to have a bit of a life and at the same time run his lovely little business. Which is, by the way, also his home. He will willingly serve you but he is no fool and not your servant. He was not open when we stopped but he invited us in (four of us) and made a very good quality coffee. We used his washrooms and had a very interesting chat with the Landlord. The whole place was spotless. He is in a 'off the beaten track' location but it is a beautiful part of the world to spend an afternoon and a night. I recommend you visit and experience a bit of history which is still trying to provide a living as a Free House.

Stayed: August 2017