“Short break”

and 1 more site!
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My daughter bought us a dinner, bed and breakfast deal as a present. It was unique as it is a castle. Easily found and still retaining its character. Our room was reached by a circular stair as is in castles. The special deal was worthwhile. The food was good, the evening meal very tasty, and the home made jams at breakfast were a nice touch. Very nice for a short break, with comfortable beds and large immaculate bathrooms en suite.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so if you have mobility issues, ask where your room is situated. Don't know...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Hadn't stayed here for a few years pleasantly surprised it seems to have had a face lift really friendly staff lovely chargrill menu - my favourite, rare rib-eyes done perfectly. This hotel used to be very stuffy - hubby loved being able to have a pint in restaurant with his steak !! Glad this place got some well needed tlc, pity we were only there for one night; next time we are in Scotland, will go here for a long weekend. Special thanks to Anna for sorting my laptop out when it decided to crash! Rooms are comfortable with the essentials all there. Yes, it can get a bit cool but it is a castle after all so take an extra layer with you to wear at night. Had a cooked breakfast in the morning, no complaints, sets you up for the day. Sad to leave really and hope to get back later on in the year. Overall good food and accommodation at a reasonable price.

2  Thank SalukiDublin
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We purchased a deal online for a night with dinner bed and breakfast, the castle is smaller than I expected but its more cosy and the staff were very polite and helpful,, it was still chilly but theres a nice seating area in the grounds if the weather was better, we went down to Peebles for a few hrs in a taxi which only cost about £4 each way

We then returned to the castle for dinner and for drinks and apart from not having pineapple juice that I usually take with vodka the bar was small but very nice.

We had several drinks before dinner then went in for dinner about 7,30 and I must say the menu had a good choice and we had a 3course meal included in the price and I have to say we were both delighted with our meals and the service ,,,

In the morning we went down for breakfast and there was a lot of choice we opted for the cooked breakfast and it again was lovely the only tiny fault I would have was I couldn't get a cappuccino but apart from that we had a lovely stay and would highly recommend the castle for people to visit when in the borders ,,, thanx again

2  Thank gil4344
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Castle Venlaw Hotel.The hotel has a nice atmosphere and all of the staff were very helpful and friendly.The food was very ordinary and they could do with revamping the menu to make it a little more interesting .
We got a very good deal online and were pleased with our room except we could not get any hot water from the tap.We reported our problem to reception who asked were we in room 12 yes we said ,you need to pull the tap up and turn it on was the reply we have tried to get it fixed and it cannot be repaired. This was not a big deal but when the hotel was almost empty why did they not put us in another room? Anyway it is a nice place to stay for a short break.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank saintaidans
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there on Monday 01/04/2013 for a birthday lunch of my friend, we all hungry eaters (5 of us) ordered steak, they stated 21-days aged steaks on menu, my wife ordered half-chicken and my sons had a hotdog. The steaks were all wrong, my medium-rare tasted like overlooked rubbish, it feels like it was defrosted in microwave. None of the steak were cooked to what we've ordered, medium-rare were over cooked, medium-well were almost rear! The chicken was completely overcooked. The sausage from the hot dog were so bad that my sons didn't eat...
It was a complete disaster... Sorry to say but I don't think I will ever go there again unless you are only going to order chips or onion rings, those were the only good things!

2  Thank Jaxomnia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Having been let down at the last minute by another venue cancelling our group new year celebration we did not expect to find anywhere with only three weeks to go that would accommodate us. A chance find on the web introduced us to the Venlaw. What a find. Full of character, really friendly staff, lovely atmosphere with a really quriky but totally authentic accommodation. Lovely ecentric plumbing but great rooms, especially in the "towers". Thoroughly recommend it and if you really want state of the art plumbing go to a Holiday Inn but miss out on a gem.

PS The New Year's Eve celebration dinner was brilliant and the food first class

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank asl1956
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed here on business many times last year. My wife was very keen to see Pebbles. We stayed at The Castle Venlaw on the 8th December. I have not stayed at the hotel since April this year and it is getting better and better. Our room was fantastic. It wasn`t one I had stayed in before. Our welcome could not have been warmer. Dinner was great and the staff are second to none. We will be back early next year. The best kept secret in the Borders.

Room Tip: Ask for the Glenturret room if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mick S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Peebles Hydro
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Castle Venlaw Hotel? Share your experiences!