“Very good value”

Ranked #3 of 13 Peebles B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Very good value”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Recently spent a weekend here as part of a walking break and would fully endorse all the positive comments. The rooms are large, modern and clean. The staff are welcoming and very friendly. The breakfasts are huge. The free wi-fi actually works. Overall, the value for money is very high.

However, bear in mind that this is essentially a pub which keeps late hours. At times, the noise can be a little intrusive. It didn't bother me because I always carry earplugs. A minor point but other light sleepers may wish to take note.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank shug67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Three Mountain Bikers set off to discover the joys of the Seven Stains and stayed at this little Gem.The pub, staff and its customers are very friendly. The Rooms are large and a very good standard, a lot of effort has been put in. The breakfast was 1st class and a good choice. For riders, Road or MTB this is a top place to base yourself, don't worry about your kit as there are metal bike sheds to store your bikes, two MTB's fitted comfortably into one, secured to ground anchors and then double padlocked. Close to the center of Peebles so a short walk to the restaurants. I have no worries recommending this and will be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zesty1966
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked a family room for 3, but were actually given a single and a double room as it was easier for the hotel - my teenage son was delighted and we two had a huge room. It was nicely and newly decorated, clean and the bathroom was immaculate. The best bit were the bike storage lockers at the back which meant that we were not anxious at leaving these expensive items unattended. They had a safe lock and we were given the keys.
We had room 4 at the front which was over the bar, the only drawback was that the music stopped us from sleeping; but it was Friday, it did stop sometime before 11.30, and we were told that next time we could have a quieter room at the back.
Lastly the breakfast was possibly one of the nicest full Scottish (or English for that matter) breakfasts which I have ever had. It somehow managed to be not at all greasy and was quite delicious. We will certainly stay again as the hotel was superb value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you are not night owls!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane M
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband, ten year old child and myself recently stared in the Neidpath Inn for two nights (late Jul 13) as part of a seven week trip around the UK and Ireland. This place was probably the best of the trip. Modern, clean and massive rooms and a better breakfast than the London Hilton could offer. The owner/manager is a young guy trying to run this place in hard times and I think he's doing a cracker job. Yes, the bar has a bit of a local feel to it but we made some small talk and that sometimes is all you need. Would definitely recommend. As for the fact there is no dinner served...a two minute walk down the road and you're at The Court House - great food reasonably priced.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine G
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A really nice clean and spacious room our room was massive and really nice view the breakfast was fantastic best breakfast we had on the trip the staff really friendly would recommend shame they do not do evening meals.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been reading other reviews and I honestly think my boyfriend and I just had an anomaly visit, so don't get too carried away with my criticism!

We stayed here during our Land's End-John O'Groats stay and the pub seems very cycle-friendly. The back garden is kitted out with some very cool self-contained cycle storage spaces, which include locks both on the inside (to secure the bike) and outside (to lock the unit). We were very impressed.

The rooms aren't accessed via the main pub entrance, so you're given your own front door key and then the key to your room. This, I think, means that it's nice and quiet from the pub next door. Our room was absolutely amazing - huge, airy, bright and seriously well-finished. Very smart. And with all the features you'd expect.

I totally agree with Not_Alex_Polizzi - there is a slight 'local's only atmosphere' downstairs and this isn't matched by the accommodation, which is lovely.

We were slightly surprised that the Inn didn't do evening meals... I figure a pub with accommodation would do food too? Well anyway, that's neither here nor there.

We'd agreed with our host/bartender (eek, forgotten name) on what time we'd like breakfast the evening before but when we went down in the morning, the pub was closed and no one was there. We waited for a bit, but nothing. Just because the pub was closed, with no sign of life, I think that's why we felt a bit more 'abandoned' than if the pub had been open but the food hadn't been sorted in time. Eventually, I spotted the cleaner, knocked on the window and he let us in. He rang the guy from last night and pestered him to hurry up.

At this point, we were in the back room of the bar, twiddling our thumbs (I think we were the only people staying as well, which made the whole thing feel slightly odd!). I clocked that there was a kitchen right behind us and I decided to take matters into my own hands, and grabbed a bowl of cereal for both of us. By the time we'd finished that, the guy had arrived (very apologetic, saying he'd mixed up our times) and sorted out our toast for us. We wanted to head off at a reasonable time, so didn't stay for anything else and the guy was really apologetic again. He lopped £10 off our total for the stay (we didn't have to ask - that was automatically offered) and we felt this was very fair.

As I was leaving, I asked whether he was going to be around if we had any difficulty unlocking our bikes and he said he'd be right there. After grabbing our bikes, I popped my head inside to say thanks and goodbye and he wasn't anywhere to be seen! It's just that element of attentiveness that was lacking.

It is a nice stay and the staff are friendly and helpful. I don't really mind the mix-up with breakfast, I think my issue is that a pub should be open early and well staffed in the morning when they have guests staying - just so you feel that there's someone around to answer any questions etc and so it doesn't feel like you're by yourself (which you are because there aren't any other staff other than those in the pub).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Antonia W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed for one night mid-week and walked in to a "locals only" atmosphere in the pub downstairs, a bit of tumbleweed blew across the bar when checking in. But don't be fooled, the upstairs accommodation (with a separate entrance) is high end, clean and spacious. This place is good value, recently refurbished and has superb views across the rooftops of Peebles to the Border hills.

The whole place is ably run by the very friendly Chris, who clearly knows exactly what he's up to, and is aiming high.

Breakfast is vast and delicious and served in the lounge downstairs at a prearranged time to suits you. A selection of newspapers were provided.

Will definitely stay here again when next in Peebles

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
Cringletie House
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel

Been to Neidpath Inn? Share your experiences!