“Nice and friendly - but a slight mix-up”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Neidpath Inn

and 1 more site!
Neidpath Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Peebles B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice and friendly - but a slight mix-up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've been reading other reviews and I honestly think my boyfriend and I just had an anomaly visit, so don't get too carried away with my criticism!

We stayed here during our Land's End-John O'Groats stay and the pub seems very cycle-friendly. The back garden is kitted out with some very cool self-contained cycle storage spaces, which include locks both on the inside (to secure the bike) and outside (to lock the unit). We were very impressed.

The rooms aren't accessed via the main pub entrance, so you're given your own front door key and then the key to your room. This, I think, means that it's nice and quiet from the pub next door. Our room was absolutely amazing - huge, airy, bright and seriously well-finished. Very smart. And with all the features you'd expect.

I totally agree with Not_Alex_Polizzi - there is a slight 'local's only atmosphere' downstairs and this isn't matched by the accommodation, which is lovely.

We were slightly surprised that the Inn didn't do evening meals... I figure a pub with accommodation would do food too? Well anyway, that's neither here nor there.

We'd agreed with our host/bartender (eek, forgotten name) on what time we'd like breakfast the evening before but when we went down in the morning, the pub was closed and no one was there. We waited for a bit, but nothing. Just because the pub was closed, with no sign of life, I think that's why we felt a bit more 'abandoned' than if the pub had been open but the food hadn't been sorted in time. Eventually, I spotted the cleaner, knocked on the window and he let us in. He rang the guy from last night and pestered him to hurry up.

At this point, we were in the back room of the bar, twiddling our thumbs (I think we were the only people staying as well, which made the whole thing feel slightly odd!). I clocked that there was a kitchen right behind us and I decided to take matters into my own hands, and grabbed a bowl of cereal for both of us. By the time we'd finished that, the guy had arrived (very apologetic, saying he'd mixed up our times) and sorted out our toast for us. We wanted to head off at a reasonable time, so didn't stay for anything else and the guy was really apologetic again. He lopped £10 off our total for the stay (we didn't have to ask - that was automatically offered) and we felt this was very fair.

As I was leaving, I asked whether he was going to be around if we had any difficulty unlocking our bikes and he said he'd be right there. After grabbing our bikes, I popped my head inside to say thanks and goodbye and he wasn't anywhere to be seen! It's just that element of attentiveness that was lacking.

It is a nice stay and the staff are friendly and helpful. I don't really mind the mix-up with breakfast, I think my issue is that a pub should be open early and well staffed in the morning when they have guests staying - just so you feel that there's someone around to answer any questions etc and so it doesn't feel like you're by yourself (which you are because there aren't any other staff other than those in the pub).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Antonia W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed for one night mid-week and walked in to a "locals only" atmosphere in the pub downstairs, a bit of tumbleweed blew across the bar when checking in. But don't be fooled, the upstairs accommodation (with a separate entrance) is high end, clean and spacious. This place is good value, recently refurbished and has superb views across the rooftops of Peebles to the Border hills.

The whole place is ably run by the very friendly Chris, who clearly knows exactly what he's up to, and is aiming high.

Breakfast is vast and delicious and served in the lounge downstairs at a prearranged time to suits you. A selection of newspapers were provided.

Will definitely stay here again when next in Peebles

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rossendale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed for just one Sunday night whilst away on business, delivering in Scotland. Arrived to a very warm welcome from the man behind the bar who took us straight to our room and showed us where everything was. Room was very spacious and immaculately clean, same with the bathroom. Lovely big bed and very comfortable. We had a walk around the town and it was only a minutes walk down to the main street. Came back to the bar for a couple of drinks later on and was greeted again by a very friendly lady behind the bar. Really nice atmosphere in the bar, everyone smiled and said hello. They also have a very comfortable lounge area in the back. Breakfast was perfect, our order was taken and we were given tea and toast until it was ready. It came and it was all freshly made and was delicious. All in all you cant fault this place, great location, very friendly and absolutely spotless. Will definitely be back if we are in the area again.

Room Tip: Really nice views at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great stay, would thoroughly recommend it. Was just there for the one night at the weekend: big room, clean en suite, friendly service and outstanding breakfast - better than I've had in much more expensive places.

Would definitely go again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Neidpath Inn for a business stopover offering everything you could need for a business or pleasure stop. My room had Sky, access to wifi and a cleanliness/newness that you would expect from

The location is second to none for both Golf trips and Mountain biking having researched the area. I'm really looking forward to using the Neidpath Inn for pleasure next time!

The bar next door is friendly and perfect to un-wind in with Sky TV and a pool table.

I stay in hotels all around the UK for business and pleasure and can only compliment these guys - the chain hotels could learn a lot here!

You cannot go wrong here, regardless of the nature of your trip!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Came over from Ireland with some friends doing the 7 stains. Out of all the accommodation we stayed this stood out a mile. Great bike lock up, there is no way your bike will be touched as everything is thought of security wise. The accommodation is so good ill actually take my wife back next time who is very particular when it comes to accommodation as it was so clean so cosey and generally so comfortable. Every morning a savage 5 star breakfast was laid on with no shortage of orange juice or coffee. I've traveled the world and this is one of the most pleasant and accommodating places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

What an absolute delightful discovery the Neidpath Inn and town of Peebles were for me!

It was my second week of B and B' s and hotel accommodation so had experienced a fair share of highs and lows and was feeling a little trepidation of what my last nights stay in a small town would hold for me.

From the moment I drove into the town I was won over by the towns quaint, picturesque beauty. It is a lovely town and the stay at the Neidpath Inn was just a wonderful experience.

Chris and his staff were so warm and welcoming and the locals were so friendly. In no time at all, I felt like I had made new friends.

The accommodation was newly renovated, stylish, modern and meticulously clean. Views from my bedroom windows were very very pretty. The hot chocolate and delicious biscuits in my room were a great welcome on a cold day...such attention to detail made the stay awesome.

Breakfast was more like a morning feast where Chris had made sure I did not leave Scotland without trying the haggis...which I must say I enjoyed!

The standard of excellence and service from Chris and his staff put larger and more expensive accommodation I had stayed in during my 4 week tour of Ireland, Scotland, UK and Paris to shame.

My only regret was that I could not stay longer....perhaps next time because once you have gone to Peebles you will want to return again.

Room Tip: Any room is a great room at the Neidpath Inn.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sojouner22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
Cringletie House
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel

Been to Neidpath Inn? Share your experiences!