“Staff ignore guest concerns” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Biggar, United Kingdom
“Staff ignore guest concerns”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I brought my wife to the hotel for her birthday. We are vegetarian and asked in advance whether vegetarians were catered for. The answer was positive. When we ate at the restaurant we were offered two main identical courses each as an alternative to the fish dish. When I pointed out that I did no want two identical main courses (who would) the young waiter just shrugged- I went minus a paid for course. I was given a diet coke whcih tasted of alcohol; the glass clearly hadn't been cleaned.
My wife couldn't sleep for the noise of wedding guests, drunk and allowed to be as noisy as they liked at 1 and 2 am. I cales reception to complain and got no reply. I went to reception and no one was in attendance. On checking out I was asked if we enjoyed our stay by reception. I told them about the noise. I was told that I should have complained!!!! The reception staff were polite but totally unconcerned- blase.
The hotel is shabby indeed and the response of staff is "don't bother us".
I've had better service by far at cheap hotels- threadbare and livoing on its reputation. Look for better; it'll not be hard to find. The MacMillan family, who seem quick to defend the hotel. need to open their eyes. Send some mystery guests to observe; you might be surprised by the findings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JamieFerg
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Our daily changing menus provide two vegetarian options at main course and at least one vegetarian starter, often two, as there were on this night. At this time of year, at the request of regular summer guests, instead of our usual soup course, we provide an interim course that may be a soup, or a fish course, or a meat course. Instead of the unsuitable fish course, our waiter suggested that these guests might like to have one of the two vegetarian main course options, followed by the other one. The dishes were not identical. They were:

Pithivier of Leek, Wild Mushroom and Red Onion
Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli with Tarragon Cream and Crisp Shallots

They could also have had the other vegetarian starter option as a second course.

These were:

Warm Tart of Feta Cheese and Asparagus with an Olive Tapenade

Avocado Mousse with Tomato and Chilli Salsa

We are sorry if there has been some confusion on this point.

There wasn’t a wedding at the Hydro on the date these guests stayed, but we are sorry that their sleep was disturbed by noise. Our Night Porters go on regular walks around the building late at night and are always contactable by telephone. On checkout, our receptionist sympathised with these guests and asked them if they had let anyone know about the noise issue. We had not been aware of any noise problems up until them and she was trying to establish if and how we had dealt with the problem for the guests. We are sorry this has been interpreted as uncaring. This reviewer comments that we are ‘quick to defend our hotel’. We think it is very important to thank guests for their many generous reviews on Trip Advisor, and we are sure that most readers will agree that it is only fair that we are also allowed the opportunity to respond to criticism. If we have failed in some way, we are happy to acknowledge this, and apologise sincerely, but if we feel that criticism is unjustified, then surely we should say so?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel is misrepresenting itself on its website!!! The rooms are smelly, dark and pokey. We looked at two before deciding to cut our loses and travel to a different hotel. The cost for one nights stay is stupid money considering the quality of the accommadation. My husband likened it to student digs. The furniture and decor are cheap and nothing at all like advertised. If I were you I would steer clear!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Bunnylou82
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
This family wrote a letter of complaint to us as well, and have been sent a personal written response. They were a Dad, a young child, and an expectant Mum, and had booked a standard family room. Due to an error on our part, for which we have sincerely apologised, we could not offer them the front facing room they had originally booked. We are very sorry for the stress that this caused them, but feel that both of the other rooms they were shown were reasonable alternatives. Both were newly decorated in cream and white, only a few weeks ago. They are not smelly, dark or pokey. The family room measures 28.67 square metres including a separate kids room and dressing area. The furniture in our standard rooms is not new, or trendy, but it is in good condition, and is good quality contract furniture. The cost of the room for one night for this family was £85.00 per adult per night to include a four course dinner, full, unlimited hot and cold buffet breakfast, or cooked to order menu, full and free use of our leisure complex with large swimming pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, and fully equipped gym, outdoor tennis courts, games room and evening entertainment, either a dance, or live music. There is no charge at all for food or accommodation for children under five. Children over three may be left, free of charge, with the hostesses in our Kids Club while Mum and Dad relax and children can even eat in their own special dining room, from a child friendly menu. Our rates are not just for the room. They offer dinner and breakfast too, and a great deal more besides. We feel they represent very good value, and that this review, like some others, is pretty unfair. The family opted to leave our hotel. They were not charged anything at all, and we helped them to book another hotel. This morning, another family left the hotel having arrived the day after this family. They stayed for six nights in the same family room that is reviewed above. Our Manager met them in the lift, where they told her what a lovely holiday they had had. They stayed in the identical room on the floor above last year and promised they would be back next year too. We should really have asked them if they would consider writing to Trip Advisor, but we feel it is a bit of an imposition to ask other guests to go to this trouble. People have very different perceptions, as readers will be able to tell from our reviews!

Travelers are raving about these Peebles hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

Lovely location. However don't book if you are looking for a couple of nights rest and relaxation without checking if there is a wedding reception booked. Noise insulation is zero.
Single room had a shower that did not produce any water and TV buzzed constantly.
Dining room had dead flies and wasps on windowsil.

That said, staff were helpful. Would I return?.....probably not.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
We are sorry to hear that this guest was disturbed by wedding guests, and apologise for this. Some guests stayed up late in the bar, and were too noisy, as sometimes happens. We appreciate that a room change to a quieter location might not have been welcome late at night, but we wish this guest had told us about the problem with her shower and TV as we would have been happy to have offered her another room to quickly remedy these issues. There is no excuse for dead flies on window sills and every effort will be made to make sure this doesn't occur again. We are glad to hear our staff were helpful.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

We have just come back from a 3 day, 2 night wee break in Peebles and The Hydro ticked all the boxes - once again.

The service was outstanding, the management (from reception to bar to dinning) all made an effort of knowing your name, whilst the junior staff did their bit to keep things ticking over (although a few more smiles and pleasantries would be welcomed). The food was great, the wine well priced and the proximity to town and the mountains unrivalled. It was a 10 minute gentle stroll in to town to shop for trinkets and 10 minutes in the other direction to the hills. Fantastic.

Yes, the old hotel is in need of a facelift, but this is not Dubai and everything is not brand new and shinny. Maybe that's why we like it so much - a little old school charm and feel.
A constant, in this age of change and disposal.

The grounds are well kept and I enjoyed a free game of pitch and putt (clubds and balls provided free) after breakfast one morning. Again, this is not a championship facility, but a great wee knock around to stretch the legs after breakfast or lunch. There were kids playing in the fantastic kids play park and couples trying to play tennis. We both thoroughly enjoyed the indoor pool and spa facilities. This is not a private health spa with state of the art facilities but rather a very well run family orientated facility and I for one enjoyed the mix of ages in and around the pool - lots of laughter and fun for everyone.

If you want a great relaxing break, and want to ‘buy in’ to a hotel with substance, history, charm and a little backbone, then look no further. Stay once, and I am sure you will go back – just like us!

My only criticism is that the bacon at breakfast could be much more crispy, but that's just me...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheHansenResidence
Thank you for your fantastic review. Your comments are very much appreciated. Next time you come to the Hydro just ask your waiter or waitress for crispy bacon from the menu. This will be cooked to order, just as you like it! The poached eggs are great too. We look forward to welcoming you back.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is an old hotel that must have been very grand and well frequented by the middle/upper classes in years gone by. I was a little nervous booking to stay here as I have experienced more than my fair share of grand old hotels that should have been retired off long ago. I was pleased to find that the owners are managing to breath life into this this place just enough to make it a nice enough place to stay and I came away feeling happy overall.
A long driveway takes you to the front of the hotel which looks out over the large gardens, its a lovely setting with views over the surrounding hills. Parking was simple with lots of spaces. Reception were quick to deal with my reservation and were very friendly and helpful.
My bedroom on the first floor enjoyed the great views the hotel had to offer. The room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, TV, Tea/coffee making and a modern large bathroom.
Every part of the hotel looks old and in someplaces very dated, however its been reasonably well maintained which I felt kept things to an acceptable standard.
The hotel has an excellent array of facilities and leisure activities so if you are here for a few days or with family there is plenty to do.
The lounge areas at the front of the hotel were very comfortable and relaxed ideal for couples.
The main restaurant maintains standards with a minimum dress code (which I liked) and offered excellent, attentive service through my meal from start to finish. There was a fixed price four course menu at £27 that had a good choice of traditional scottish fare and a few international dishes.
The standard of the food was rather disappointing, and didn't really befit the grand feeling they were aiming to portray. I don't think the chief could have ever tasted the mushroom ravioli I ordered as it was the blandest meal I think I have ever eaten and it was sent back hardly touched (which is a rare event for me)!

Breakfast offered a repeat of the excellent service and a wide choice of food options.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank docscooter
Thank you for a very thoughtful and balanced review. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your meals so much and hope we can do better for you next time.
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed here with our 3 girls and loved every min. Monica in the kids club is the best. Having dinner for the girls in their own resturant was perfect. The evening dinner felt like a night out on our own. LOVE THE HOTEL, WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you. We are delighted you had such a good time, and we will be sure to pass on your comments to Monica.
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Booked by phone. Family room was a double room with en-suite and a separate twin room sharing our bathroom.
We arrived at 6.30pm after a day of mountainbiking. Tired and hungry. No dinning option was available for the boys (12y and 13y). The "teenage" dinning room was closed. The main dining room required smart clothes ( shirt and jacket I think) not the sort of things you take on an outdoor leisure weekend to the borders.
Staff suggested room service. this would have been fine except all the meals on room service were not available after 6.30. Only sandwiches.
I find in inconceivable that a family hotel does not have a relaxed family dinning option for all to eat together in the evening.
The sleep was fine, the shower head was too low. Breakfast was outstanding.
Swim pool was great.
All in all fine except for the frustrations of the dining situation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for all of your positive comments. We are sorry the kids dining arrangements didn't work too well for your boys. Teenagers Tea must have just finished when you arrived and it looks like the alternatives perhaps weren't well explained to you. The boys could have ordered room service from the main dinner menu during dinner service, or, if they didn't want to do that, we would have been happy to allow them in to the dining room in their casual clothes. We do have a dress code, but in the circumstances, it wouldn't have been a problem.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 8 in Peebles
BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!