“Just about keeping the old girl alive!”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is an old hotel that must have been very grand and well frequented by the middle/upper classes in years gone by. I was a little nervous booking to stay here as I have experienced more than my fair share of grand old hotels that should have been retired off long ago. I was pleased to find that the owners are managing to breath life into this this place just enough to make it a nice enough place to stay and I came away feeling happy overall.
A long driveway takes you to the front of the hotel which looks out over the large gardens, its a lovely setting with views over the surrounding hills. Parking was simple with lots of spaces. Reception were quick to deal with my reservation and were very friendly and helpful.
My bedroom on the first floor enjoyed the great views the hotel had to offer. The room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, TV, Tea/coffee making and a modern large bathroom.
Every part of the hotel looks old and in someplaces very dated, however its been reasonably well maintained which I felt kept things to an acceptable standard.
The hotel has an excellent array of facilities and leisure activities so if you are here for a few days or with family there is plenty to do.
The lounge areas at the front of the hotel were very comfortable and relaxed ideal for couples.
The main restaurant maintains standards with a minimum dress code (which I liked) and offered excellent, attentive service through my meal from start to finish. There was a fixed price four course menu at £27 that had a good choice of traditional scottish fare and a few international dishes.
The standard of the food was rather disappointing, and didn't really befit the grand feeling they were aiming to portray. I don't think the chief could have ever tasted the mushroom ravioli I ordered as it was the blandest meal I think I have ever eaten and it was sent back hardly touched (which is a rare event for me)!

Breakfast offered a repeat of the excellent service and a wide choice of food options.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank docscooter
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Thank you for a very thoughtful and balanced review. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your meals so much and hope we can do better for you next time.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed here with our 3 girls and loved every min. Monica in the kids club is the best. Having dinner for the girls in their own resturant was perfect. The evening dinner felt like a night out on our own. LOVE THE HOTEL, WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Thank you. We are delighted you had such a good time, and we will be sure to pass on your comments to Monica.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

Booked by phone. Family room was a double room with en-suite and a separate twin room sharing our bathroom.
We arrived at 6.30pm after a day of mountainbiking. Tired and hungry. No dinning option was available for the boys (12y and 13y). The "teenage" dinning room was closed. The main dining room required smart clothes ( shirt and jacket I think) not the sort of things you take on an outdoor leisure weekend to the borders.
Staff suggested room service. this would have been fine except all the meals on room service were not available after 6.30. Only sandwiches.
I find in inconceivable that a family hotel does not have a relaxed family dinning option for all to eat together in the evening.
The sleep was fine, the shower head was too low. Breakfast was outstanding.
Swim pool was great.
All in all fine except for the frustrations of the dining situation.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for all of your positive comments. We are sorry the kids dining arrangements didn't work too well for your boys. Teenagers Tea must have just finished when you arrived and it looks like the alternatives perhaps weren't well explained to you. The boys could have ordered room service from the main dinner menu during dinner service, or, if they didn't want to do that, we would have been happy to allow them in to the dining room in their casual clothes. We do have a dress code, but in the circumstances, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Reviewed June 10, 2010

We didn't use all the facilities and bars etc during our one night stay, but those we did use were first class. Staff and service were excellent, food too. Only small grumble was that the toast at breakfast was cold - a problem at most hotels for some reason.
I got the impression that the hotel is being constantly improved and I wouldn't pay too much attention to the few poor reviews here. I would stay again without hesitation, and hopefully for longer so I could take better advantage of it's recreational facilities.

• Stayed: May 2010
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2010

Thank you! First of all, our apologies for the toast. We do hope you asked for it to be replaced. Our family is very proud of the Hydro and we are constantly at work improving and refreshing it. There are lots of plans afoot and changes to be made. We look forward to seeing you at the Hydro on your next stay.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

Arrived here and firstly couldnt find a parking space had to park some distance away down the hotel drive so was glad that i didn't arrive in winter as the drive is VERY poorly lit after dark.

As for the hotel itself i had no complaints with the staff they all do their best, however my complaint is with the managments under investment in this hotel, it looks shabby worn out, and in need of a paint job the carpets look as though they have been their since the 1980's.

Stayed here for a few days at the weekend, and was shocked to discover that someone had forgotten to turn on the hot water the showeers were lukewarm at best both in the room and at the swimming pool, the jacuzzi was colder than some outdoor pools which i have been in and on sunday the stream room was broken and was to be out of action till Thursday(no one knows which Thursday though) , was speaking with a few of the local leisure members and they informed me that it is a regular occurence for one of either the Steam room, Sauna or jacuzzi to be out of order.

If you wish to visit the area either book one of the hotels in the towns main street or if you want a hotel with facilities such as a swimming pool, sauna steam room etyc then book inot the Cardronna hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had some problems during your stay. We are surprised to hear you feel the drive is poorly lit, as our high wattage floodllights are more closely spaced than the lamposts on many public streets! We currently have an in house team of four decoraters working full time on bedrooms and the outside of the building, and a major carpet project is in the pipeline. We do apologise for the hot water situation. Not sure what was wrong with the shower in your room, or if it was reported at the time, but it wasn't a general problem in the hotel. There was however a problem with the separate hot water system in the leisure complex. It was quite difficult to pin down the cause - a faulty one way valve - but it is fixed now. As bad luck would have it, the steam room picked the same time to blow an element. These obviously have to be ordered in, and take a few days to arrive. It did arrive, and it was fitted on the promised Thursday. The same thing happened with the sauna a couple of months ago, and maybe six months ago, the jacuzzi had to be pretty much stripped down and rebuilt. We do appreciate that breakdowns cause frustration, so we try very hard to put them right as quickly as possible.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

I went their with my whole extended family including young children. The restaurant was appalling it felt like a cattle market, the waiter brought unopened bottles of wine to the table and told us to open it. Each dinner time brought longer and longer waits to be served by a team of 16 or 17 year olds who didn't seem to know what was going on. The rest of the hotel experience was underwhelming and most of the amenities were at a youth club level and rather than that of a prestige spa hotel.
Overall i would say avoid like the plague which is a shame as it is a beautiful location and could be a genuinely amazing destination. But as far as value for money goes this place is a joke.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Robertsione
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2010

We are sorry this guest felt let down by some of our facilities and by service at dinner. The party stayed over eight months ago, so memories of this particular weekend dinner service are rather faded, but because one of the group did comment at the time about slow service and about an unopened bottle of wine, we do have some information in our daily management reports. This family group arrived at their dinner table at different times and did not all order their meals at once. Once served, some of the guests had to leave the table at various times during their meal to attend to their children. We do try our best to keep service smooth in these circumstances, but it isn't easy! The dining room was certainly very busy over that weekend. Our Restaurant Manager did check with the waiters after service and they all said they hadn't taken an unopened bottle to the table. Of course it is possible that one of them did, but we would be very disappointed to think that this had happened. It isn't what we expect of our staff. Our 'youth club' has a lovely big swimming pool, a separate baby pool, a large well equipped gym, a sauna, a jacuzzi, a beauty salon, a hairdresser, tennis courts, a games room, a snooker room, a kids club, pitch and putt, a huge putting green, a childrens play area and a childrens tea room.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I booked our stay at Peebles before I read the reviews in Trip Advisor. As soon as I read some of the awful reviews, I phoned up to cancel. One of the Directors contacted me, and persuaded me to keep my reservation, and see the hotel for myself. Thank heavens he did - we had the most fantastic holiday.
I cannot fault one thing about Peebles. The service, the room, the facilities, the food, the staff - were all brilliant.
I travelled with my husband, and my 6 and 9 year old daughters. We stayed in a family room, with a seperate bunk bed room for the girls. There was even 2 bathrooms in our room. On arrival there was a huge bag of Thorntons chocolates, and a fresh fruit platter in our room. The fruit was replaced every day!
We took the girls to kids tea every day, in there own dining room, with it's own kitchen. They had a 3 course meal everyday, of superb quality, with no turkey twizzlers in sight! Special mention needs to go to the chef, who was also the chef in Lazells - his menus were great and he was really friendly. He suggested a local park, where you can go trout fishing. He said that if we caught any fish, he would prepare and cook them for us. It was too cold to do this, but next time we will, as I thought it was a brilliant idea.
We took the girls to kids club every night, so we could have an adult meal together. We've never used a kids club before, but they loved it. One night there was a magician, another night a disco, they played loads of games, and watched films, and there was a tuck shop. The kids staff were great.
We had a beautiful 4 course meal every night. The menu was great, and very varied, and the food was lovely. Again, special mention must go to Ian. He was very welcoming and funny, and ran the restaurant with precision! One night I wanted oatcakes with my cheese, and he sent someone off to the village to get me some!
We used the pool and gym every day. The only small criticism was that the changing rooms are a little crowded and chilly, but I understand there are plans to enlarge the facilities. We played short tennis, badminton, table tennis and football in the hotel, all of which were great fun.
When the hotel was snowed in for a day, there were directors in the car park clearing the snow.
I know this review has been rather long, but I hope if you read it, it will encourage you to go to Peebles. It isn't some designer, boutique hotel; it's a brilliant family hotel. Some of the reviews could really damage this business, and they so don't deserve that. Please book a visit - it is really good and excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2010

We thank this family for their fantastic review, which, to us, very fairly reflects the true Peebles Hydro we are proud to own and operate. We are delighted they enjoyed their stay so much and look forward to welcoming them back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!