2,369 results
All reviewskids clubgin palacetable tennisrefurbished roomfront facingtennis courtssignature roomswimming poolgrand hotelgames roompitch and puttgin tastingnew ownersleisure facilitiesbit datedsteam roombunk beds
Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

Never booked a room here stoped at sister the park hotel down road witch was lovely but could use hydro hotel pool etc nice big spaches hotel lovely swiming pool larger than i expected steem room sauner as well nice breakfast only £5 as i was stopping at sister hotel also found unusualy thay the hydro had in bacement full cycle hire all diffrent bikes to pick from so rode all round peebles and then up the road to cafe for my free soup and samwitches witch was included in price of bike hire hey had nice three days in peebles

Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for your feedback Alan M. Great to hear that you had an enjoyable visit and enjoyed many of the facilities and activities on offer. We hope to welcome you back again sometime soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2018

Beautiful location, lovely grounds, plus staff at the hotel were very welcoming and friendly.

Room was well presented, modern, with a super king bed and a choice of pillows.

Huge choice of gin in the gin palace however there was no drinks menu to look through making it trickier to determine what gin goes with what mixer/tonic.

Leisure facilities are open for adults from 6:30am to 8am and towels are available, just remember £1 for the locker. Pool, hot-tub, sauna and steam room all in good order.

Buffet style breakfast with good continental and cooked selection. At peak time (around 9.30am at the weekend) it can get pretty busy.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda S

Thanks for your feedback Amanda S. our team are so leased to note that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of our facilities. We hope it's not too long before we can welcome you back.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

Hotel was looking a lot better than on a previous visit.
The exterior of the hotel is impressive as are the views of the surrounding countryside.
I believe that many of the rooms are being upgraded and although our family room for three was large and clean the furniture was a tired as was the decor and also the stair carpets. The huge bathroom was clean but the hairdryer was broken as was the light above the mirror. I realise this is a big busy hotel but feel rooms that are let should have working appliances.
The swimming pool was greatly enjoyed by our 4 year old granddaughter as was the playground. There was also a kid's club but did not have time to use this.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. The meals, we had dinner and breakfast, were fine but could be better.
We enjoyed our stay and would return. With a bit more investment this could be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front and enjoy the views over the Borders countryside.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family

Many thanks for your feedback H J M, we are delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay overall. Although almost three quarters of our bedrooms have been refurbished at this time of high occupancy we do need all of our bedrooms, but we're sure you will be able to enjoy a newly modernised room next time.

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and four year old daughter for two nights dinner, bed and breakfast. The grounds and building are fabulous and very grand in the old sense of the word. The staff were all full of smiles and we got checked in quickly, although no offer of getting luggage taken to room and no information on the programme of activities given at that time. This is the time to do just that, particularly as we had a four year old with us. In fact the kids activies on offer dont show up on the website which is missing an opportunity as all we thought they had was kids club but there was hedgehog feeder painting, pizza making and more. This should be advertised better. The building has real character in my view and we were given a large refurbished family room which gave us plenty of room. The furnishing were modern, clean and the beds extremely comfortable. We called the bar and asked for ice to the room which arrived within minutes.

Unfortunately our dining experience was lacking the service aspect. The menu and food were excellent, however the kids buffet had run out of fish, which our child wanted. We let the staff know and assumed this would be refilled, but it wasn't until my wife and I were finished our main course and ordering dessert. We had to ask staff four times about the fish as it took so long and there was no communication. If this wasnt enough, I ordered a trio of ice cream for dessert and chose my three flavours and asked if I could order a coffee with my ice cream.. my coffee arrived but with no teaspoon so i asked for one. I thought my ice cream must be on its way but no... i finished my coffee and nearly 30 minutes passes before desserts arrived. The flavours weren't even what I asked for but at this point I'm thinking just take what you get. What a shame.

Breakfast was buffet style and what you'd expect anywhere really, although this service would be substantially enhanced if there was an omelette station or poached eggs made to order and easy to include. We were not offered tea or coffee as we were seated on the first morning and had to ask again for this.

Dinner on evening two was great as far as the food goes and staff all very nice. This time dinner was a success without any issues until it came time for dessert. My wife and I opted for coffees only but my four year old wanted ice cream.... seriously what is it in this place that it takes soong to get ice cream served to a table, surely this should be straight forward but took 20 minutes.

My wife and I decided we'd take a seat in the lounge of Gin Palace where there are a huge variety of gins on display and decided we would treat ourselves. At nearly £10 per gin and tonic on average we were expecting an experience similar to that you may see in the likes of gin71, however we left any hopes of that behind us when we asked for the gin menu to be informed there was no gin menu. This place has a serious gin offering but has no menu which is a real let down as this is part of the gin experience and helps the customer decide which gins and which garnishes. We asked for advice on gins and garnish from the bartender on duty but he was of no assistance and had no knowledge of gins as was about to serve our gins without any garnish only for I looked it up on the internet and asked he add this to our drinks. So much more could be done here to really improve this part of the hotel offering and would take no more than staff training.

In summary, we had a good time here but feel that with more time invested into staff training would go such a long way to improving the overall customer experience as the hotel, its activities and the quality of food and drink are all of a high standard. The staff were all friendly and no doubt do a great job, however, with a few improvements in some areas, this place would be truly awesome.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Wilson R
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2018

Many thanks for your feedback Wilson R, we are happy to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one. All of your comments have been taken on board and we are confident that you will see positive changes next time round.

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

My family and I went for afternoon tea what a let down.
Bare white walls old furniture and no charm in the surroundings at all the hotel has been stripped down completely.
Afternoon tea was pathetic brown and white bread basic fillings and not enough to feed a hamster.
Scones were dry probably microwaved and to just keep the basic theme going spray cream in a gravey boat not a chance of double cream or clotted cream of which most people who go for afternoon tea would expect.
Cheep poor quality food presentation basic just pathetic no effort has been made at all. £43.00 NOT expensive but not what I would expect.
This hotel used to be stunning it has gone to the dogs in my opinion and I am just an average man with basic needs but they didn't manage to make me happy. So if you are looking for a great afternoon tea go some where else I will.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve P

Thanks for your comments Steve P, so sorry to note that you feel as you do. It's not clear from yoru review if you had spoken with our Management team who would have appreciated the opportunity to put things right had they been made aware.