“The Grand Budapest Hotel in Scotland” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peebles Hydro

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Romford
“The Grand Budapest Hotel in Scotland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

I booked this hotel up at the last minute due to the severe weather conditions. I was a wee bit apprehensive due to some mixed reviews, but as the weather conditions were so bad I decided to just book it.

I paid £45 for a large single room with en suite, breakfast and access to the leisure facilities. A good deal for £45.

On arriving one can not help but notice how Grand the building is, or at least once was. And it bares a striking resemblance to the hotel in 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' film. Was the bad weather my only concern....... Indeed it was;

The Pro's

- The staff were all friendly
- My single room was large, clean, comfortable with a large bathroom and comfy bed. With plenty of teas, coffee and hot chocolates.
- The leisure facilities were great, nice big heated indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna etc.
- Free parking and free wi-fi

The Cons

- Some of the reviews are a wee bit harsh. The building does need a bit of TLC in places, however one must appreciate that this is a very old and large hotel. The hotel was clean, but does need new carpets, curtains.

- Breakfast was very entertaining. They basically put a food cart in the middle of a large room and then about 200 people decend upon it to help themselves. The food was ok and plentiful.

Due to the bad weather I never tried any of the out door activities the hotel had to offer. I would certainly stay again and would recommend to people.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert B
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for this post Robert B, we are so glad you gave the hotel a try. We agree there are some areas of the hotel in need of updating and it will take a while. And we also agree our staff are friendly, bedrooms comfortable and leisure facilities are great. You must come back and stay with us again soon and take advantage of our outdoor leisure facilities too.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

I've left writing this review for a couple of months as I was not look forward to doing it.

We have been going to the "Hydro" as a family for over 30 years, but I personally had not been for a couple of years. What a change, for me it was hard to accept, the place is so run down and with a few exceptions the staff were all new and very very inexperienced, or in some cases just going though the motions.

To be honest I just wanted to get back in the car and go back home, but I was with the family about 20 of us and decided to stick it out. Gone are the days of Mr Van Dyke who ran the hotel many years ago and demanded very high standards and was greatly respected by staff and guests alike.

The place is a DUMP now and I will not be returning until major improvements are made, one recent reviewer said the new management are to spend £5 / 6 million on the refurbishment it will take every penny of it and more to get the good reputation back.

I could go on and on but don't have the heart, I grew up with this place, the anticipation when I new we were nearing a visit was just, just, just incredible.

IT'S A CRYING SHAME !!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DJN55
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
It is sad to hear that your stay at Peebles Hydro was not all you had anticipated, especially since you have such fond memories from previous stays. The refurbishment has begun, but as you can appreciate it will be a mammoth task, and take some time. We sincerely hope you will return in the future and hopefully see a vast improvement.

Travelers are raving about these Peebles hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

For a one night stay, the hotel was ok. We had one big room near the car park and one in the main building. The hotel is outdated and the service is not excellent, but it does the job.The rooms were clean, the pool changing rooms were dirty. There seemed to be a lot going on for kids, so it had a family vibe. Main building rooms were very noisy. Breakfast was a mess - every server was stressed out and the operation was disorganised in a very obvious way. The building has potential but don't think we'll hurry back.

Room Tip: ask for the ground level rooms near the car park - it was very noisy upstairs in the main building.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank eveloveslemons
Thank you for your feedback nonnalimone. Yes the hotel is outdated and needs a lot of work done. We are now under new ownership, and prioritising both improvements to the building and to our customer service. At Peebles Hydro we promote a family friendly atmosphere including complimentary kids club for our younger guests and during school holidays you will find a great activity programme. We'd love you to come back to the Hydro.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

The driveway to the hotel in need of resurfacing, lots of potholes and large ruts in the road. The front of the hotel looks amazing with all the period features, although the main staircase looks good in need of some TLC, stair rods could have done with a polish as this is the first place visitors see and first impressions mean a lot. On arrive rooms were not ready, so decided to go for a cream tea, after sitting for some considerable time, I decided to clear the table myself as table had not be cleared from previous guests, once seated my friend then decided to try and find someone to serve us, which ended up her going to the kitchen to enquire if we could have cream tea for four. Which was good once we got this. Eventually after two hours wait the room was ready this was now 5pm. Room was good size, clean and had perfect views over the beautiful countryside. Breakfast was good but would say the hotel had a lack of staff as a little disorganised. My experience at the spa was not good, my appointment was 9am on arrive at 8.50 spa was still closed eventually staff arrived at 9-15 with no explanation giving for lateness, straight away we felt there was an atmosphere and tension between the staff members. We felt there was no ambience within the spa to make you feel relaxed,ie candles, scents or music. After filling in forms regarding medical history, these were not considered during treatment, and this was also cut short due to the staff lateness earlier, due to next clients arriving. Also aftercare was non existence,as I did feel disorientated but was just left in reception while therapist took next client. So overall experience was very poor so would not have any further treatments within the
spa. I did enjoy my stay and would return but would not recommend the spa. A beautiful historic building within beautiful surroundings with lovely period features, but lack of experienced staff showed.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank lynneda
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your spa experience and we will be taking this up with spa staff to find out what went wrong. As we will with other departments. We aim to provide a quality service throughout the hotel and would like to apologise that we did not manage to meet your expectations on this occasion.
Northumberland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here almost 7 years after our last visit, for a post GCSE golf break for our son. Not a lot had changed in 7 years, and if I was being pedantic, the grounds were not as well looked after.

However, we only paid £80 per room B&B, and in terms if value for money it was excellent. Weather was so good we didn't use the pool. Staff were very helpful, although the young temporary staff at breakfast made a great attempt at looking busy and doing nothing. I felt sorry for the full time staff who had to work extra hard because of this.

The town of Peebles was lovely to visit (found a great Chinese restaurant and Franco's Italian - both worth a try). If you are a golfer Peebles is nice and Cardrona is a proper challenge.

If you have never been to the Hydro it is definitely worth a visit, and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay ce04dje. You're right it is great value for money at the Hydro and your rate includes leisure club membership during your stay, kids club and at certain times of year our free activity and entertainment programme.
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Before I start this review, I have to say that it was with some worry, that i booked my wife's birthday celebrations event around this Hotel. I had read on this site some horrific reviews, and some I might add that even appeared to be vindictive. Yes, the hotel is somewhat time warped, Yes it has been allowed to get run down with little money being spent on its upkeep for many tears.. Yes their are some staff problems where the lack of management control, has allowed a historic apathy due to the previous owners, letting this aged beauty fall into disrepair., but we need to move forward. The new owners are rapidly trying their best to put this beauty back on the map. They tell me they looking to spend 5/6 million on it over the next. Couple of years to renovate and restore
I booked about 20 rooms for my event, which was based on a 2 night stay, the rooms booked covered standard singles, standard doubles, feature doubles and signature doubles. I visited the hotel prior to arrival to sort out which rooms we wanted and the format of our stay. Clara Elliot in charge of corporate events, could not have been more helpful. Everything went according to plan and all the actual rooms we had booked we got. Our own room number 8 was one of the signature doubles. It was well appointed , newly decorated and the bathroom was modern and updated. The views from the room are amazing across the valley. Speaking to all our friends they also found their rooms to be quite satisfactory, and most had great front facing rooms with the same great views across the valley. Yes one or two small annoyances, such as the safe did not work in a room, but these are minor annoyances,, however management needs to get on top of these little things and ensure the staff can correct them immediately. However value for money you can't beat it. Where can you get a decent double room on a B and B basis for less than £90 ? Which has all the hotel services this hotel has !! And only 45 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh , where currently due to the festival you would be lucky to get any room for less then £200.
Our signature double which is virtually a suite at £125 bed and breakfast and D/B/B at £162 for both of us, was incredible good value. Thank you !
We found the staff to be very helpful and in particular Daniel on reception did a wonderful job . A little bit of extra training is certainly required with some of the newer reception members, but no doubt the management has got that to sort out. The service in the dining room, was certainly far better than was indicated in some of the other reviews, we were served quickly and in the main whatever we asked for came quite promptly . Again silly little things need to be put right, why do the cutlery settings at dinner, only have a dessert spoon and no desert fork!! You should always lay a table correctly, and it impossible to eat most dessert tarts without a fork!. This is something the Dining room manager Angus needs to resolve. However he looked after our party superbly well, and with better management guidance, you have got a great dining experience here.
We used the swimming pool , leisure facility, gym, Spa and hairdressing salon, All were quite satisfactory, clean and manned by willing staff. Money is being spent upgrading these facilities currently, , so no doubt it will be better still in a short time. Again I think previous reviews here were over critical!
We came back from Edinburgh on the first night at 1 am, and the night porter Willie opened the bar up for us and served us drinks till 3 am, thank you Willie you did us proud! . Thank you also to the staff in the Spa, who helped keep my wife's birthday surprise a secret, and more importantly , arranged at 5 minutes to 5 pm, to get me an evening dress shirt from the tailors in Peebles and have it brought to the hotel , when I realised during my massage that I had left mine at home. Brilliant Thank you all for saving the day!
All in all a wonderful and memorable stay. Thank you Clare, you went the extra mile for us, and that,s what, it's all about. Thank you also to the rest of the team. Let's see the new owners put in the effort and money, that's needed , to make this old lady of an hotel. rise like a Phoenix!. It's all there, it just wants good training and passion, and that always start at the top.
Chris Taylor and family

Room Tip: The signature and feature rooms are definitely worth the extra, and make sure to get any front fac...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chris T
Thank you Chris T we are very please you and your party enjoyed your stay at Peebles Hydro. And thank you for posting this review, it is so rewarding when our staff are recognised for their hard work. There's lots to be done, not just with refurbishments but with training and service, to achieve it all it will take a few years. We hope to welcome you back and each time you visit you will see a difference.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here for new year several times in he past before the take over I was shocked with how many gripes I had throughout our 6 night stay. The room 226 I see mentioned before is in desperate need of refurb having stayed in it 8 years ago myself nothing had changed except bedding! Grubby carpet everything old and worn no fan working in integral bathroom so heat and damp smell after a family of 5 have baths/showers in summer heat was not pleasant!! Bathroom was not cleaned during stay only towels replaced until I complained!! Room only hoovered because I commented to head of house keeping that it could do with it after 4 days!! I had requested a larger room when I booked as needed a cot as well for baby which did not fit into the small room with bunk beds so had to put behind the main door. Used to have a baby listening service which I had enquired about when I booked before the take over. This is no longer an option and no one had bothered to notify me of the take over or any changes since my booking. I found out when calling reception to ask how to set up listening service so I could put baby down and go down for dinner so had to keep him up every night til later. luckily he was really good with the change of routine and didn't make any fuss in the restaraunt but 2 hours stuck in a high chair while we had our 3 course meal was not ideal for a baby/toddler we were lucky he coped well!! So were the other guests!! I called hotel a few months before and asked if everything would still be the same and explained I had stayed before the take over and was assured everything was the same and only changes I would see were improvements and gradual refurbishments!! Nothing looked refurbished that I saw all areas need a complete overhaul!! Food was lovely in restaraunt but service very slow due to very obvious understaffing!! Most staff were nice and helpful but clearly not enough staff in all areas especially housekeeping and Lounge/bar/restaraunt. When checking out I wasn't asked how my stay was which is unusual in any hotel! Think I know why though as they are probably scared to ask!! Won't be rushing back which is sad as had good stays there in the past.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole G
We aim to provide you with a quality service throughout your break, as you have experienced in the past. And we are sorry this was not achieved this time. Peebles Hydro is now under new ownership and as you can imagine it is a mammoth task prioritising improvements in both service and refurbishment. We hope you will continue to visit the Hydro in years to come.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#3 of 8 in Peebles
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#5 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!