“Not the best experience”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed February 15, 2014

First time here with friends and family.
Rooms were ok, pretty sad looking on the furniture and decor side but the size of them was good.
Leisure centre is great, kids loved it but the fun hour in the pool didn't really scream fun.
Kids liked the buffet at night, good choices and nothing that a kid wouldn't eat so for once when going away, my kids actually had clear plates at the end.
Food for adults was good, my wife loved the dining room but the head waiter on our first night must have been new as the waiters/waitresses seemed to have to pick up the slack that night.
Breakfast is great, seriously good spread and you have the choice of cooked to order/buffet/ cereal so it really suited everyone.
There were actually a few other guests that ruined it for us, obviously regular guests at the hotel (as we heard them say so many times) and the way they spoke to staff was a disgrace. My wife came back to the room disgusted at how one woman had treated the staff, I really did pity the staff as they got a lot of flack due to the hotel needin a good clean and some upgrading.
Reception staff were good, my kids are at the age where they want to show everyone their toys and on bookin in the girl made a big deal about the toys they showed (shoved in her face) and even better explained the kids stuff to them and not just to us. Was good as sometimes you feel kids are ignored and it meant that if we passed reception the kids would say hi to them.
Worry that people actually think someone on reception is to blame for the pool not being to their standard.
The deals are good so well worth going, our room had a good view and to my wife that made a difference. One thing I would say is the kids stuff is only aimed at under 6's, mine weren't really into it, again probably needs lookin at to try and get their attention more.
The internet access is bad, takes forever, no signal and needs a number to send a text code?Found it tedious.

Room Tip: Liked the kids being attached but we still had space for us.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend travelled to this hotel for valentines day. Although the grounds and location are beautiful, we found the rooms to be shabby and in need of redecoration. The set meal in the restaurant was unappealing and the level of noise was far too loud. The bar food also had a lot to be desired. The ginger member of staff was rude to us- we asked for a corkscrew to open our wine in our room but was not given one. His excuse was that the hotel was 'licensed' which of course is obvious yet we were left unsure as to why we were not allowed drinks in our room?! You don't expect this problem when you stay in any hotel. The seating in the bar is also uncomfortable. When we sat down to breakfast there was no condiments or napkins on the table and the cutlery was in a pile in the middle. Small details which make a massive impression on your overall stay. We were overcharged on departure and already really unhappy about the service. We would have complained at the time but there was only one young girl on checkout, attempting to check out an entire wedding congregation as well as other guests. The charge was eventually removed but we left entirely unsatisfied and far from relaxed.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathryn W
Reviewed February 14, 2014

After reading some of the other reviews, I was unsure what to expect from our two night stay but was pleasantly surprised. We booked two rooms db and b at a reasonable price and my children (aged 13 and 11) were pleased to have their own room for the first time (due to the great child rates). Our Labrador came too so we had two of the four dog friendly rooms on the ground floor (one of which was front facing with an amazing view).
The rooms were spacious and of good quality (generally dog rooms in hotels aren't that great) but these were fine. Breakfast was amazing and dinner was ok (the dinner options were quite 'posh' while I prefer more of a pub grub style!) but very much in keeping with the traditional nature of the hotel dining room! Having said that I was impressed with the puddings!
Our kids loved the games room and the tennis courts, as well as a good sized swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna.
All in all a great stay and we would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I was on a mixed-age hen party weekend on a DBB basis. The food was absolutely top rate including the breakfast which was piping hot. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the waiter service in the lounge was superb. The hotel is a little tired looking, but you can expect this of an old hotel which takes a lot of upkeep. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the spa treatments. The only downside of the whole experience was the "cocktail" lounge. This basically looks like an old style working men's club and the expensive cocktails are served in ordinary wine glasses without any of the razzmatazz you would expect from a cocktail lounge. Also they didn't have a full stock of cocktail ingredients (even though they were expecting a hen party) so many of the drinks couldn't be ordered. The service was also slow in this bar.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, or a sense of direction ask for a ground floor room as the hotel co...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I arrived here on 12th feb on my own with 2 children. On arrival we were given our room key, no offer of help with bags etc but managed to drag myself and the kids to what seemed like the furthest away room I the hotel!
The room was big and although bland, was sufficient enough. What made me really mad was was how dirty it was. I'm not one to complain but the cups were unwashed, the mirrors were stained and the coffee table had sticky marks and finger prints all over it! They did clean it but not much of an apology! When we returned the water tap had been left running in the sink and the bathroom floor flooded.
The next big disappointment was the eating arrangements. I had to choose between eating in the cafe with the kids, eating alone in the restaurant (what do I do with the kids if I'm in the restaurant?) or paying £14 per head for them to eat with me in the restaurant? Seems odd to me that try can't offer a kids menu or smaller portions in the restaurant? I chose to eat in the cafe. It's meant to be a bistro but believe me it's a cafe. The kids good was poor. Buffet style and looked like it had been lying for hours. The mouse for desert had a thick skin on top. The adult menu was better but still pub grub. The fact I wasn't asked once if I'd like a drink and had to drink water from a plastic cup was about enough for me!
The hotel is tired. It needs a refurbishment. It also needs a rethink about how it treats families. Having my dinner time dictated to me from 5pm-6pm seems ridiculous for what is meant to be a family hotel? The breakfast was much better but unfortunately not enough to EVER make me return. I'd rather pay double an at least feel we were on holiday!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank SCDunn
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We are just back from a 1 night stay in a family room which we got on a special offer. The hotel is set in a beautiful location and the staff I encountered were all friendly and attentive which is a real selling point. I agree with a lot of the previously mentioned negative aspects. As we paid a good price and the staff were great we were able to overlook most of these issues. It is tired, our room was large and adequate but not luxurious by any means. The hotel will be aware of this and am sure will be addressing a refit in the near future. One point is music in the dining area , perhaps on occasion background music could aid the ambience when it is not busy. We felt a little uncomfortable as it was very quiet. I am sure when it's packed ambience is not a problem. In my opinion I didn't really enjoy the food so much perhaps a bit reheated but having said that my friend thought it was good. Certainly it all got eaten. So 4 star probably not but if u can get a good deal better than a lot of alternatives and our 9 yr olds enjoyed the freedom and the pool.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel. rebuilt in the first decade of the 20th century was very grand and catered for those who could afford the prices to match its elegance. Today the building is very well furnished and maintained and although the ageing windows may not always be draught free this is taken care of by very heavy curtains and with very adequate heating. Staff were smiling, helpful and pleasant and although some of the dining room staff were a little inexperienced the head waiter gave the appearance of being very accomplished in his job. The food was very good and it would be difficult to find fault with it. Our stay was a special offer and was at an amazingly low price for the service we received.
There was one small fault in our ensuite wet room in that the slope on the floor did not allow the water to drain and although it did not flood the entire space it made it rather unpleasant for a second person having to splosh in cold-ish water in order to use the shower.
The room was very well adapted for a wheelchair user and the view from the window to the hills beyond was lovely.
I see in the press that this hotel is going to be run by the group which has Crieff Hydro so it will be interesting to see what, if any, changes this brings.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!