“Peebles hydro”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Peebles hydro is an excellent place to stay we were there for a couple of days and had some treatments which I loved I had a facial and a body back head and shoulder massage I'll be back for the facial which I though for a first was brilliant beds were very comfortable room was excellent as was the food I would say although the service was great they need to keep an eye on there training of some staff. We went into Peebles itself and had a very nice day the weather was excellent and the town very clean the people were very pleasant and the shops great good local stuff all in all a great experience will be back

Room Tip: Go for as good as you can afford although I would find it hard to believe there are any bad rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for this. Your comments are much appreciated, especially by our cheerful and hard working team in the salon. Best Wishes, The McMillan Family.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had already posted a review of my recent stay at this hotel when the owners placed a comment under my review.
I was genuinely surprised as so many hotel dismiss reviews on here which is why it has taken me so long to bother with creating an account.
They apologised for the problems I had with my recent stay and due to this I decided not to let the issues mar the positive aspects of my stay and not let the hotel have a review that puts them in a bad light after they were gracious enough to contact me on here.
I stayed with family in June 2013 as I have been living abroad and wanted time with family.
The Hydro was somewhere we have all always wanted to have a stay and myself, partner and parents decided why not!
My parents had a lovely suite, large and spacious which was excellent for us meeting in before dinner etc.
The food is lovely, I personally thought the dishes seemed old fashioned but they were very nice.
I enjoyed the coffee being served out of the dining room as it was a more relaxed atmosphere.
Breakfast gives a large choice including cooked to order, fruits, cereals, Scottish etc and you can have as much as you wish.
Short walk to town which was lovely, although my parents do not live that far from Peebles they have no experience with the town therefore it was nice for us all. The girl at reception had told us of a few shops to visit and we had a nice day out.
We ate at the Park Hotel-other hotel the chain owns in town. Is a nice hotel and the bar meals we had were great and very well priced.
The leisure centre at the Hydro is very large with an excellent sized pool, I di not have the chance to try anything else but my partner assured me the gym was good too!
Overall we did enjoy our stay, it was peaceful, we got to have quality 'family time' as well as out own space, we were well fed and the staff really made out stay special!
To those considering the hotel, we read the reviews here and decided to book, we did have a few small problems but our experience was not ruined by this. I am so glad I did not listen to all negative reviews and book elsewhere as the hotel is beautiful and the staff are excellent.
One thing I will say Is I did not like seeing some staff stand by and let others be rushed off their feet, I found this unfair and do not understand why they could not have 'lightened the looad' of the others.

Room Tip: My Parents had a suite, was great for us all meeting.
1  Thank Jess L

Thank you for your amended review. We are very glad to hear that all the good points outweighed the problem you mentioned before. And we will certainly raise the matter of lending a had to one's colleagues at our next Management meeting. We hope to welcome you all back some day. Best Wishes, The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our family party of eighteen, aged from 18 months to seventy plus, had the most wonderful weekend at this hotel. The food, facilities and rooms were superb and above all the staff, without exception, were so friendly and helpful to any request. Nothing was too much bother. Ian & Alison Black

Room Tip: Front room views are magnificent
1  Thank Ian522

What a great review. Thank you. Delighted the family gathering went so well. Best Wishes, The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Peebles hotel Hydro in June 2013 for 3 nights on a vintage car rally.The hotel
Is quietly situated and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
The washing machine with our washing in it broke down ,the receptionist then took it home and washed and ironed it for us.That is incredible service.-we asked for a quiet room and got it.
But on the downside I do agree with other contributors that the rooms are run down and the bathrooms too.
Our mattresses were very old and not comfortable.The room was clean though.
The food was excellent, and considering we were a group of 200 people they managed very well with all of us.
Would I stay there again?I do not think so,I would go to one of the B & Bs in the village.

Room Tip: We were in room 338,perfectly quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and also your meals at the Hydro. We are sorry you found your room to be less than you had hoped for. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked the Peebles Hydro for what we thought would be a luxury break for two nights bed and breakfast. On arrival as we approached the hotel we were hugely disappointed to find that the hotel looked nothing like the picture portrayed by their website.. It is in dire need of a revamp externally and internally. The entrance into the hotel is either up two flights of stairs or to get to a lift you are going through the staff quarters. The rooms are dated and cramped but clean and the TV did not work unless you held the control at a certain angle! We were highly disappointed with the quality of service and food in the restaurant. We dined in the restaurant served by a waiter chewing gum and then when we ordered melon with sorbet, we were presented with melon and ice cream! Staff were unable to provide basic information such as when is breakfast and provided little or no attention to their guests. Meals on both nights were mediocre to say the least and tried to convince us that the pork we ordered was pork when it was actually gammon, and the rack of lamb was not a rack of lamb but resembled something served up by bernard matthews. More frustratingly the staff proceeded to set up for breakfast oblivious to the diners who were trying to enjoy their evening meal and were made to feel that we were an inconvenience. The only thing the hotel has in its favour is the location and pool facilities. To describe this establishment as a four star hotel is being a bit liberal with the truth. Its definitely not luxury or value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Morag N

We are sorry these guests didn’t like the Hydro. We don’t advertise the hotel as being luxury and our prices are not at the luxury level. We are an old fashioned family resort hotel. On arriving at the hotel, you can either enter by climbing the grand Edwardian staircase with its polished brass chandelier and handrail, or, if you prefer not to climb the stairs, you can come in the adjacent door and use the lift. We can only think these guests must have got lost if they ended up in the staff quarters. One of our senior Head Waiters served these guests. He doesn’t chew gum. We buy our delicious sorbet from The Chocolate Box in Lanark. It’s a dairy free product but it does look a bit like ice cream. We’ve had this comment before. But it is sorbet! The pork dish was smoked pork, and described as such on the menu, and our rack of lamb was of course rack of lamb, with the lamb being sourced from a very local farm – we even name the farm on the menu. Towards the end of service we do begin, as in most big dining rooms, to re-set for breakfast. We try to be very unobtrusive, but if there are only a few guests left it can become noticeable. We are sorry it disturbed these guests. The Hydro was inspected in April 2013 and we are happy to confirm that we have once again been awarded a four star rating.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are after complete relaxation, this is the place to go. After reading the poor reviews on TA, we were a little nervous about our visit last weekend. After arriving to find an enormous building surrounded by gorgeous scenery, we were instantly comforted. The building is old but is charming and in my opinion the building suits the decor. Enormous grand hallways wouldn't look right with anything but the swirly carpets of that time. This hallway lead to the grandest dining room also where we found the food to be very nice and as previously mentioned, always plenty of it! One tiny gripe would be that there appeared to be a system for seating in the dining room which wasn't explained to guests and we would've appreciated some direction here to help save on some confusion. If you are used to modern luxury, perhaps the Hilton is for you but if you appreciate the grand building that Peebles Hydro offers, you will not be disappointed. Some refurbishment would of course improve the overall experience but can totally appreciate that this would be an enormous expense for a building of this size. May we suggest that the conservatory off the lounge be next on the list to look at as felt it would compliment the amazing views if you were sitting in a room with some nice touches (table cloths and flowers on the table would even help). Overall, we would like to say we had an amazing time over the weekend and we are soo pleased we didn't change our mind about staying because of the poor reviews on here. Thank you Peebles Hydro for a fantastic weekend!! :-)

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for choosing to filter out some of our less than complimentary reviews, and for your balanced and considered comments and suggestions. Our apologies if you were not shown to your table in the dining room in our usual way. We hope, now that you have found your way to the Hydro, you will come and see us again. Best Wishes, The McMillan Family.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have ben going to Peebles for almost 20 years now and love it; good food, great location, good facilities. But it's in danger of losing the things that made t special, the things that stop it being "just another hotel". The new owners have refurbished the rooms and updated the decor, that's great. But there is a shortage of porters, a lack of staff in key areas (lounge service and bar especially) and reception need to get their act together - when it is 3.30 before a room is ready (check in at 2.30) one day and the same time for room to be serviced the next day then something is wrong and it is probably staff numbers.
Tidy up the grounds and the pitch and putt course please, get a few more members of staff on board and be stricter about the dress code in the restaurant please. Keep it special.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a front room; well worth the little extra for the view.
2  Thank ExiledfromToon

Thank you for your kind review. We really value our longstanding guests and try to make sure we don’t change the Hydro in ways they won’t enjoy. With costs rising and guests feeling the pinch of the recession, we have to try to keep our staffing tight according to daily guest numbers and we aim to do so without any reduction in service levels. Our staff have responded to the challenge brilliantly by becoming better and more efficient, but it sounds like this was not your experience on your recent visit. We do apologise, and hope you will return and allow us to show you a better performance on your next stay. Best Wishes, The McMillan Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
The Park
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!