“never again”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Loanhead, United Kingdom
“never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Booked for a long weekend, in short, the whole place is dingy, lacks ambiance, the lounge areas are uncomfortable as seating is old and past its best. decor is tired whole placr needs a revamp. Hoped for decent food, the dinner on first evening was a disgrace, both in how it was prepared and presentation. Veg dried out, meat (pork and beef) bland. Following morning breakfast buffet, everything dried and some of it (fried eggs) unedible. Long weekend was 3 days. We left after breakfast on 1st day making an excuse. Over £200 for 1 night absolute disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves, staff and management must be aware particularly food issues.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
3 Thank barry d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I spent the 3rd October there for one night. On arrival in our room there was only 1 cup for the coffee making service: we had to phone to get another.

Dinner: We were brought two bread rolls but had to ask for butter. Food was good however the waiter tried to take away my starter when I was only half way through it. I bit my final peice of my starter and the waiter took my plate away while I was chewing the last peice. Same thing happened with my main course I put the last peice of steak into my mouth and a waiter appeared and took my plate away again before I had a chance to chew it. We thought that maybe they wanted us out of dining room so they could finish early as we were the last people in the restaurant. After our sweet we sat waiting for coffee and nobody came near us to remove the plates or offer coffee. We had to approach a waiter and ask for coffee only to be told that the coffee was served outside in the corridor. I'm guessing guests are supposed to have ESP to know this.

Breakfast: Met at door of dining room by a waitress to "hello there me lovely" and again at table with "do you want tea or coffee doll?"

This is the sort of reception I would expect at the transport cafe not at a nice hotel.

We were not given the 10% discount card for use at the beauty centre that came with the package. I had to go to reception and get get one the following day. My wife only found out by chance that there was aquarobics on that night in the pool. We were not made aware of any activities happening in the hotel.

On the up side beauty and leisure staff were great and really helpful and can personally recommend the deep tissue massage.

Room Tip: We selected a room with view of Tweed Valley which was well worth the extra cost also wine and fruit...
1 Thank Daddio999
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I booked this hotel as a gift to my husband for our wedding and we do not have a bad word to say about it.
From arrival the staff at the hotel were lovely, showing us to our room, booking us in for dinner that evening and showing us around-nothing seemed to much.
The room was stunning-with amazing views! Very clean, spacious and comfortable with plenty of space to get ready and hang our clothes.
Before dinner we went to the cocktail bar for a relaxing drink, lovely atmosphere but didn't have to wait to be served either.
The food was also delicious. There was a good choice of food both on the dinner menu and for breakfast and once again the service was brilliant. All waiting staff were very polite and helpful and the food was served quickly-but without you feeling rushed.
Overall the stay at the Peebles Hydro was fantastic-everything I could have wished for! I would definitely consider coming again and will also recommend to family and friends.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from a one night stay 23rd September 2012 at the Peebles Hydro Hotel with our three kids for a short break away after a hectic week at work and hoping to unwind.

We need a break after our one night visit.

Arrived at 3.30pm on the Sunday and family room not ready when we arrived due to there being a wedding the night before so complimentary drinks offered. Family rooms in need of makeover. We were given two single beds which were fine until the next morning when both wife and I doubled up in pain with back ache . Her bed was only fit for the bin with slats missing, The games room down stairs is tired and don't waste your time searching for it, broken table tennis bats and serious need of a makeover. Kids dinning room experience poor to say the least. Food 3 out of 10, limited choice and black Forrest gateau offered as main which has alcohol in it. The dinning room is an experience to say the least, yes it looks dated but the waitress who served us could not speak English and brought us not what we ordered. Food very poor and needed to go back twice to heat it. We had a good laugh with the other couple next to us who mentioned screening next series of faulty towers here. The leisure pool is guarded by an elderly lady who was horrible to my two kids. Be warned in advance as other guests commented as well!!!. If you are looking for a children friendly Hotel with plenty to do then we would not recommend this hotel for families with young kids

Room Tip: Family rooms have two toilets and brill for kids as you get seperate room. Ask when booking if your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank stuart g
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
NOT QUITE THE TRUTH.

This family behaved very badly in our leisure complex. Their children were uncontrolled and disruptive to other guests. Of course, all kids are boisterous at times, but their actions were dangerous, both to themselves and to other guests, and our Leisure Complex Manager had no choice but to speak to them. The safety of all guests is our legal responsibility. She spoke to them in her usual polite and cheerful way. She is a genuinely nice, pleasant lady who is extremely popular with all staff and guests, and great with kids. After speaking to the children, she was subjected to verbal unpleasantness from their father and then an angry shouted tirade from their mother. Instead of vilifying her online, it would have been more appropriate had they written to her to apologise for their immature and abusive behaviour.

We did get some things wrong for these guests, and we are sorry for that. It is true that their room was not available at the advertised time, and that their bed base was damaged (presumably by the previous guest!). We agree with them about our Games Room, which is about to be relocated to another part of the building. The couple were also unpleasant to our staff (mostly about the leisure complex incident), on departure. We had offered them what we felt was a fair level of discount by way of apology for the genuine problems they had encountered and they responded by aggressively demanding more. We did not grieve their eventual departure!

We are sorry that this family did not enjoy their kids dining experience, but our Black Forest Gateau is not served as a main course, and does not contain alcohol – because we serve it to children. We have one very pleasant young French student doing a short internship in the dining room. She is the only non-English speaker there. We are sorry that this was detrimental to these guests experience.

Travelers are raving about these Peebles hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

It is slightly dated compared to all the boutique hotels which have sprung up recently but I always feel relaxed after a stay at the hydro. Some of the facilities are better than others. The pool and gym are pretty good & I love swimming while I look out at the hills around the hotel. It is a massive hotel which makes it difficult to combine a high end style with what is essentially mass catering at breakfast and dinner but the hotel is a well oiled machine. Not sure how much call there is for the dinner dances and some of the beauty treatments but you can just enjoy chilling out in the lounge or the sunroom and sauntering along to the pool every now and again. As another person has pointed out it is worth looking out for their special offers at certain times of year if you are on a budget.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Troon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our recent short stay at the Hydro (9th / 11th Sept.) was our 3rd visit in the last 18 months. That should tell you how much we enjoy staying at the Hydro, having spent short breaks over the last 30+ years. ( Our children as toddlers loved and looked forward to holidays at the Hydro and our eldest grandaughter is exactly the same).
We had booked 3 rooms for a family break which included our 2 young grandchildren. The rooms allocated on the 1st floor were all excellent appearing to have been recently redecorated. The family room (134) had a separate room for the children with bunk beds, single bed and a flat screen TV. The large bathroom was between the 2 room areas and there was also a 'study' off the main bedroom.

I don't understand some recent reviews criticising the decor as painters have been working in hotel over our last 3 visits and all areas outside and inside look better now than at at any time since we first visited at the end of the 1970's. ( I would imagine an old building of this size is a bit like the Forth Road bridge to maintain - when you finish it is time to start again).

There was a full entertainment programme for the grandchildren each day supervised by a hostess and also a special session for them in the swimming pool.
The meals were excellent with a good choice at both breakfast and dinner. If anything dinners have improved since last year. On the Monday night our grandchildren were the only children staying in the hotel. Their tea was moved from Lazels to the lounge which is near the main kitchen. None of the starters suited our oldest grandaughter and she asked for garlic bread which was freshly prepared by the chef without any problem. This was our experience of all the staff - nothing was too much trouble.

The weather wasn't suitable for spending much time using the outdoor facilities but a minor crticism would be the Adventure Playground needs upgrading as does the indoor Games Room.

We all look forward to returning to the Hydro next year.

Room Tip: Personally I like to stay in the main building rather than the 'modern extension' built I gu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here on 7/8 Sept. Our first impressions were great as the grounds look lovely. However, the hotel itself wasn't what we expected for a 4 star hotel. The general feel of the place was "tired". I can imagine it was a lovely hotel 20 years ago but it hasn't retained that appeal.

The games room was awful. Tatty, needed painting a a bin of moudly water in the corner. The pool table only had one cue with a tip and no chalk to be found. The outside chess set was in need of repair - be careful when taking the lids of the storage units as they don't seem to be attached. Some of the pieces also need replacing.

The dinner was OK food wise but the service was poor. They told us the wrong price (£27 vs the £29 we were charged when checking out). The wine order wasn't taken until after the starter arrived. the soup course never arrived. We should have mentioned this but we had already started our mains before we realised. My partner had a steak and had to struggle without a styeak knife. We would have asked for one but the staff seemed more focussed on resetting tables than doing check backs. When we left the dining room not one member of staff looked up from their conversation to say goodnight to us.

The room was OK - comfy but not 4 star quality. And be careful of the duvet - ours seemed to be zipped together and belive me, it hurts if you lean on the zipper. Not to mention the bruise it left!

The pool was great - well laid out and a really good size.

Checking out was as arduous as checking in (when we ignored for 10 mins while 3 people answered phones). I asked for the bill to be seperated and this seemed to take a while. I didn't mind the wait but the look I got when I asked for it wasn't great. After a couple of minutes the lady did soften and start to make conversation with me which was appreciated.

All that said, the hotel is in a great location and could be fabulous with a bit of tlc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#4 of 8 in Peebles
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#5 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!