“A step back in time.....”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location, The hotel itself is quite grand and old fashioned , it has a certain appeal if this is what you are looking for. The rooms are okay , i had a single room which had everything i needed, (always wondered why they put single rooms at back of hotel with the most ugliest of views as though single travellers were second class citizens !!!! ) The service is 1st class and the dinner menu very good although i could not say same about breakfast....the continental breakfast selection is terrible ...cereal , fruit or yogurt ..no ham ,cheeses oor selection of breads croissants etc., The cooked breakfast seemed good if thats what you want. Overall this hotel is fading , a good lick of paint would be welcomed in some areas , the owners need to adjust with the times and modernise the surroundings and reception etc., A look at Crieff Hydro might spur some ideas. Just too formal , lifeless and lacking in atmosphere for me i,m afraid.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,144)

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is our 2nd year at Peebles and it is the ideal location for a family of 5 like us, the young kids get involved in so many activities during the day and the evening and our teenage son did so many sports we barely saw him!
The gourmet dinner is of utmost quality and it is such a pleasure to dine romantically with your spouse while kids are at kids' club!
Special mention to the lovely and helpful staff!

1  Thank FamilleClement
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I am an American that has travel a little and mostly stay in motels, not hotels. When I hear the word hotel I assume it means quality; however, I found this not to be true. Staying with my father and mother, they put us in a family room. I was truly in tears when I got to our room and found bunk beds for me, a 27 year old lady. By the way, every step I took in the hallways, I was afraid the floor would give way. Charming old building doesn't mean spongy floors.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Valerie27_12
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Our reservations staff allocated a really large family room to this family of three adults, thinking that the separate bedroom off the main room would be a nice feature for them. We do have some family rooms with single beds but none were available when the booking was made. The bunk beds are full size and comfortable but we are sorry they weren't acceptable to this lady and we should have made this information clearer at the time of booking. The Hydro burned down in 1905, and, with fire safety in mind, it was rebuilt, with each level constructed of concrete, overlaid with wooden flooring. There might be an odd creaky floorboard here and there but nobody's going to fall through!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed here on business as a single traveller and booked a single room mountain bike special rate £49 b&b. I am often put off by reserving single rooms as they can be on the small side and feel more like a cupboard, so I was very pleasantly surprised when my single room turned out to have a double bed and it was very spacious. It looked out to the back of the hotel, but had excellent views of the nearby forest and plenty of sheep in lovely green fields. The room was spotless, the bathroom, although a little tired again was spotless. The room was equipped with a tv, kettle (tea and coffee) and hair dryer (and two spare plug sockets). It had a wardrobe and trouser press, but housekeeping were happy to send up an iron and ironing board for me. The bathroom had towels and face cloth, along with complimentary shampoo, bath foam and shower cap. There was a second hair dryer in the bathroom. The bed was very comfy and I slept very well indeed. I was gently awoken the next day by bleating sheep as I had forgotten to close the bathroom window, but this was quite a gentle alarm clock! The hotel also offers a pressing and laundry service.
The staff were very friendly and made the hotel an nicer place to be. All were extremely helpful and I was made to feel very welcome.
The hotel is very grand but is looking a little dated and tired but immaculately clean, its set within beautiful grounds and there is a lot to do nearby. The hotel itself has a Leisure Club which I fully recommend. Dont forget to take your gym kit and swimwear!!!! The pool is a great size, along with sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. The pool is open to all guests most of the day, but for the first hour in the morning and from 8pm -9.45pm of an evening, it is adults and serious swimmers only, which made for a peaceful swim. There is also a gym with various equipment and punchbag. The hotel provides dressing gowns in bedrooms which can be worn through the hotel when visiting the leisure club.
Breakfast was buffet style and there was a good selection of hot and cold food. I was very happy to see potato cakes on offer!! Again service from the staff was top class.
There is plenty of parking at the hotel. The town is a short walk away with lots of interesting shops to browse. I would recommend a local Bar and Restaurant in Peebles called the Neidpath Inn, excellent staff, nice welcoming atmosphere and great food to match. There is parking on the street just outside if you don't fancy the 15-20 min walk. There is also a Co-Op supermarket a few doors down.
Would happily recommend to family and friends and will be looking to return but for pleasure so I can sample all the outdoors activities that are just on the doorstep!

Room Tip: The hotel is situated away from the town, enough so external noise is not a problem. Some single roo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank liggylee

Thank you very much for a terrific review. Our single rooms are great for business people such as yourself and have become more and more popular for mountain bikers coming to use the fantastic local trails at Glentress. Great rates are often available for these rooms, and unlimited tattie scones as we call them, are included!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have waited for a full week to get feed back of my complaint i have had none so have decided to put it on TA.

Peebles Hydro Hotel

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you with regards my recent visit to your Hotel with my family. ROOM 141.
Having booked into your Hotel for four nights we left after one totally unhappy with our stay.
I was asked to give feed back so I will.
First complaint, Having first arrived at the Hotel we were asked about dinner and at what time we would like to dine at that time we were told that it would cost £14.00 per night for my son to eat with us. I was gob smacked as I thought at least there would be a bar for dinner if you did not want to go to the dining room at no time did I think it was the only place to eat. This is ridiculous this is the only Hotel I have stayed in that does not have a bar and a fine dining room to eat in and this seems to me to back parents with one child into a corner as there is no way I would let my son run about a hotel on his own (NOT IN THIS DAY AND AGE) this is not just because my son has learning difficulties . Also when I told the receptionist he had learning difficulties and that’s why I wanted him to eat with us she said sorry cuz basically he looked normal There is more than obvious physical impairments and it sounded quite insulting to me she also said she would try and get the dinning fee waved but she would have to get back to us to confirm this but no one did get back to us. I am amazed that putting this charge on does not cause you many complaints and in my mind definitely does not make your Hotel family friendly. Also it was said there was a dress code (NO JEANS ETC) yet it was perfectly fine to come in with fancy dress as the Hen party did this makes no sense to me.
Secondly, To put a family into the first floor when a wedding is going on is crazy after it turned 4.30 am with no sleep we just gave up and got dressed and packed as by that time we were just fed up with the loud singing and banging doors and loud voices.
On the service side of things we were acknowledged twice in the evening everyone else seemed to just scowl although I did appreciate the Lady trying to sort out the situation by giving an upgrade in the morning and being very attentive but I hope you will understand by that time I would have felt far too awkward after having to complain so much.
On the condition of the Hotel itself I found very disappointing, Frayed carpets grubby paintwork in the corridors and in the room, A hole in the bedroom wall and Dirty windows, No iron, The door to our room would not close unless we slammed it. The toilet seat was the cheapest possible also the heating in the room never seemed to come on and some of the hotel areas were also cold especially the bar area. Also the shower was the oldest I have seen. I realise now we were in a basic room but as far as I am concerned what we were due to pay in total was way over what this package was worth. I have stayed in four star hotels and sadly Peebles does not even come close to them.
On a health and safety point door chains on the windows to me are not an acceptable restrictor as they can be easily removed. A child could deal with these easily the correct restrictors for these windows should have a cable with a key lock.
All in all this was a really bad experience and I would not use a Mc Millan hotel again if this is how they are operated.

Room Tip: Be very wary of the so called special deals they are not that special. Make sure you are not on a l...
7  Thank Norry160
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Here is our response. As you can see, it was posted on 15th July, 6 days after we received Mr E's email. As a family director, I personally investigate all complaints very carefully before responding. I was away for a few days, hence the short delay. Mr E told our staff on departure that he would be writing to us, and was advised at that time that he would receive a reply from a Director in due course.

15th July 2012

Mr NE

Dear Mr E

Thank you for your email of 9th July. I am sorry for the delay in responding – I have been away from my office. I was very sorry to hear that Peebles Hydro did not meet expectations, to the extent that you felt it necessary to cut short your stay. I was contacted on the morning of your departure, and in the circumstances, I was happy to authorise a refund for you despite your non-refundable package.

Firstly, I am sincerely sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the wedding party. Some of the wedding guests were extremely inconsiderate to other hotel guests and I completely agree that this was unacceptable. We are currently reviewing our booking procedures to ensure that this sort of situation does not re-occur.

Our children’s rate of £25.00 includes children’s high tea in Lazels, accommodation, breakfast and full complimentary use of all of our leisure facilities. Parents are most welcome to join their children in Lazels, and also to eat with them there, if they so choose. Dinner in the dining room is not included in the children’s rate, but children are most welcome to join their parents for dinner, for a supplement of £14.00. This information is always discussed at the time of a telephone booking, and is also clearly detailed in our online information when making a booking. While parents are dining, we offer personal childcare by arrangement, if required. Alternatively free organised activities are always available in our Kids Club. The Hydro welcomes thousands of children every year – sometimes as many as a hundred a night – and this arrangement seems very popular with almost all of them. I am very sorry it didn’t suit your family. I have spoken to the receptionist with whom you discussed the dining arrangements and she has asked me to offer her sincere apologies if she has caused you any offence. She tells me that you hadn’t advised her that your son had learning difficulties when you checked in, and that when you raised the matter later, in connection with your dining requirements, her comment was made in an attempt to explain that she could not have known this without having been told.

We try as far as possible to ensure that our guests observe our dress code requests, but, in these days of more casual dress preferences, we don’t exclude guests who choose not to dress formally. We also try to take a relaxed view of ‘fun’ clothing such as that worn by the ‘Hen Party’.

Thank you for your feedback. It is always appreciated. Once again, I am sorry that there were aspects of the hotel itself that didn’t meet your expectations, and sorry that the Hydro experience was not as you had hoped it would be, and spoiled by noise from other guests.

Yours sincerely

GC
Director Peebles Hotel Hydropathic Ltd

Reviewed July 11, 2012

First of all you notice the magnificent setting of this charming Scottish Hydro hotel. Peebles is set in the Scottish borders with the river Tweed running through it. For the walkers there are endless walks set in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Now for the famous Hydro which I've been going to a small child for over 50 years. It has gone through numerous changes and modernisations over the years. Most of them to the betterment of the property. The swiimming and leisure area is fantastic. The swimming pool is made for kids but still allows serious swimming for adults. It has all the facilities you could wish for AND the water is warm. Well done Hydro management, you really made a huge improvement in that area.

Our room was a superior double, with a huge king size bed and bathroom. More spacious than most "suits" that I've stayed in. It was well lit, loads of cupboard and wardrobe space. It was clean and comfortable. Perhaps a bit dated but in a way that added to the charm.

We had dinner in the magnificent Victorian dinning room. The service was excellent and all the staff were friendly and efficient. The food was typical of the mass family holiday type hotel. The choice was good but the portions were on the small side.

As for price. and value for money. It's not cheap but when you consider the facilities which included tennis cours, putting green, snooker tables, badminton, child activities from 10am to 10pm I think it is very fair.

In conclusion we had a great time and would highly recommend Peebles Hydro Hotel.

1  Thank Harry M
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Harry M Thank you very much for posting this very generous review. Your comments are much appreciated. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This visit is the third time that my husband's employers has treated all their staff and families to an overnight visit to this hotel and we both love looking forward to staying. Our room was spotless and although slightly smaller than the last we were here, there was still plenty of room. Slightly dated decor but it didn't bother us much. The bed was big and comfortable, despite not getting much sleep because the room was very warm even with the windows open. My husband also enjoyed the fact he could lie in the bath or sit on the toilet and enjoy the view from the big bathroom window!

We enjoyed using the facilities especially the swimming pool and browsing around the hotel shop. Wish I had time to fit in a beauty treatment as I enjoyed a good massage the last time I was here.

My husband's company paid for dinner and disco too which we both enjoyed. We both have different dietery requirements which were not passed on in advance, so we were thankful that the serving and kitchen staff were able to rustle us up different food at the last minute, and they were all very understanding and accomodating about it.

My husband enjoyed breakfast, but I can't comment as I didn't have any.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, as we always have done, and look forward to returning in the future. We recommend to anyone wanting a classic hotel experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kekelambie

Dear Kekelambie Thank you for your great review. Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Hydro and hope you will be back soon. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
The Park
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!