2,369 results
All reviewskids clubgin palacetable tennisrefurbished roomfront facingtennis courtssignature roomswimming poolgrand hotelgames roompitch and puttgin tastingnew ownersleisure facilitiesbit datedsteam roombunk beds
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This visit is the third time that my husband's employers has treated all their staff and families to an overnight visit to this hotel and we both love looking forward to staying. Our room was spotless and although slightly smaller than the last we were here, there was still plenty of room. Slightly dated decor but it didn't bother us much. The bed was big and comfortable, despite not getting much sleep because the room was very warm even with the windows open. My husband also enjoyed the fact he could lie in the bath or sit on the toilet and enjoy the view from the big bathroom window!

We enjoyed using the facilities especially the swimming pool and browsing around the hotel shop. Wish I had time to fit in a beauty treatment as I enjoyed a good massage the last time I was here.

My husband's company paid for dinner and disco too which we both enjoyed. We both have different dietery requirements which were not passed on in advance, so we were thankful that the serving and kitchen staff were able to rustle us up different food at the last minute, and they were all very understanding and accomodating about it.

My husband enjoyed breakfast, but I can't comment as I didn't have any.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, as we always have done, and look forward to returning in the future. We recommend to anyone wanting a classic hotel experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kekelambie
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Kekelambie Thank you for your great review. Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Hydro and hope you will be back soon. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I took my mother in law to Peebles Hydro today for a special foot treatment and a facial for myself. The service was fantastic. Mum is almost 90 and the massage therapist was wonderful.Mum thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My facial was wonderful. And as a massage therapist myself I speak from experience! Reasonably priced it was money well spent for a wonderful,relaxing special treat.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LaneyBOban

Dear LaneyB Lesley and the team in the beauty salon are delighted you and your mother enjoyed your visit and hope to see you both again soon. Thanks for taking the time to post such a nice review. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

Reviewed July 1, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on here it was with trepidation on arrival. We needn't have worried! We loved our stay, this hotel is from another era and retains all it's grandeur and style. Yes, I agree with some of the other reviewers that the building is slightly sad from the outside but the internal main areas are bright and well decorated and welcoming. We stayed in a superior room overlooking the hills, it was large, clean and comfortable and we had no complaints. The food is outstanding as were the diningroom staff and adding to the ambience was a pianist on the Saturday night. The cocktail bar is well stocked and a lovely area to sit in. We used the swimming pool and it was spotlessly clean as were the jacuzzi and steam room. We had breakfast in bed both mornings and we can thoroughly recommend the full Scottish it was delicious. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will stay again. Thank you Peebles Hydro.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Pollydd

Dear Pollydd We are very glad that you took some of the more extreme reviews on this site with a pinch of salt and chose to come and stay at The Hydro. We are especially delighted that you enjoyed your weekend so much and we thank you for all your great comments. We hope you will come again soon. Best Wishes The McMillan Family

By the way, if any TA user out there has any concerns or queries about any of the reviews of Peebles Hydro, please email us on info@peebleshydro.co.uk and we'll be happy to address them personally Some reviewers just seem to get a bit carried away!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Last minute decision to book this hotel the night before my stay. Got a single room b&b for £49, which for a hotel with the facilities and lovely grounds the Hydro has is an amazing deal especially during the towns annual festival - Beltane.and for Saturday night only stay.

The single rooms are priced accordingly, they are a bit tired but comfortable all the same.

My stay was based around catching up with old school friends etc so I did not really have the opportunity to enjoy the fantastic facilities the hotel offers such as swimming, squash, tennis, snooker, great kids facilities.

The hotel has a nice bar stocking good quality local beers such as Broughton Best on tap. Prices were also fair.

The restaraunt for evening meals does a good job with very very tasty food making the most of local produce although the choices are somewhat 1970's with not a great inovation, but this is likely linked to the traditions of such a hotel but taste is more important that Heston type food! Only slight issue was when I arrived for dinner a whole 7 mins late after scoring my name off, the guy who showed me to my table wrote LATE in huge writing next to my name, he never said anything but I didnt not think that was good!

Sleep quality was ok, although my ground floor room was a bit close to the entertainment area and was a bit noisy until about midnight which was a bit of a pain.

Breakfast was ok but let down a bit by poorish service, after waiting +10 mins to get asked if I wanted coffee, toast etc, I gave up waiting and attracted attention of waiter. Also hot food buffet was allowed to run out before being topped up and when I wanted my food they had no sausage or bacon left, I felt if managed better they should never run out but planning the replenished items better.

Room Tip: Always best to ask for quiet room (I always forget to do this!), the higher up the quieter here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We thank this guest for his great review. We are glad he enjoyed his stay and very sorry there were some issues at breakfast. We have been in contact with the guest to clarify that what was written on the table plan was 'reset' not 'late'. If a good table, eg a window table has already been vacated when a later guest arrives for dinner, we give them the better table. Our Restaurant Managers write 'reset' on the table plan when this happens to remind themselves to set up an extra table for breakfast, in case both parties arrive at once for the next meal.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is the first review ive left & didnt want to leave one but feel its necessary. I stayed with my fiancee for 1 night only which thankfully was paid for by my company as a sales target reward as if i,d had to pay for it i,d have been even more disappointed. The positives, restaurant staff very nice & attentive, lovely setting & well thats about it for the positives. Negatives, Weren,t told that profiteroles were off the menu when we sat down, be better if staff informed patrons of th £7-95 extra charge if ordering steak & not just telling people later wel its on the menu. Also very cleverly brought 2 glasses of wine to us without prompting to which we wrongly thought wre complimentary until waiter whipped a pad & pen out for room details to charge us. Room 53, tired & dated with disgusting spiders webs in corners of window. Not what we expected at all. Bathroom had stains on ceiling & some chips out tiles which weren,t nice on the eye.The same night i checked out i rang to say i,d left cufflinks there & wa told they,ll check with housekeeping in the morning & took my numbers to call me back. As i write this at 2-30pm ive heard nothing & tried to call them many times in the last 20 mins to be greeted with an answering machine message saying everyones busy, whichis ridiculous & more like the response you,d expect from a call centre. Have to i wont be back or recommend this hotel to anyone until i have evidence of improvement. Nearly forget, barman in the cocktail bar had to call for info on how to make a mojito which we waited full 20 minutes for & had next to no mint in it & charged nearly £13 pounds for the privilege, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Room Tip: My advice is dont go
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary M
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

This gentleman believes he lost his cufflinks in his room at The Hydro, and is very angry with the hotel as a result. He phoned in on the evening of his departure day and reported the missing cufflinks. The room was not occupied that night, and the hotel was very busy, so he was advised that our housekeepers would check, very thoroughly, the next morning, during the scheduled full room service. They did so, and the cufflinks were not there. Quite often, items that are reported missing, turn up in luggage, or among clothing at home. We hope this is the case with the cufflinks. We are sorry if our phone lines were busy for twenty minutes or so. We had in fact already left a message for the gentleman on his mobile phone. He managed to get through just after posting the above review and was very rude to our Duty Manager.

Occasionally, when a dish is really popular, more people than expected order it and we run short. It doesn’t happen very often, because our chefs are very good at ‘guesstimating’. Our menus state very clearly that steaks carry a supplementary charge so we feel it is reasonable to assume that our guests have factored this in when they order one. With regard to wines, it appears a wine waiter was asked by a colleague to deliver two glasses of wine, and took them to the wrong table by mistake. The guests did not tell him that they hadn’t ordered them, and seemed quite happy to sign for them and drink them, so the error was not discovered during dinner, nor was it mentioned on departure. It certainly wasn’t a ploy to boost sales! In fact the couple subsequently ordered a further bottle of the same wine. We are sorry the barman took a while with the Mohitos, and wish that the guest had mentioned some, or any of these issues at the time, when we could have remedied them, or discussed them with him in person.