“great hotel and food---just beware of the kids”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Winsford, United Kingdom
“great hotel and food---just beware of the kids”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I just cant agree with some of your reviewers who suggested that peebles hydro was "down at heel" with unhelpful staff. My experience was just the opposite. 4 of us us stayed 1 night on the hotel`s Sunday Night Special which included B&B and Dinner. Our rooms were clean and comfortable with great views of the surrounding countryside.The staff in both Reception and the Restaurant were professional and helpful. The Dinner was excellent in both quality and presentation and was efficiently served, and breakfast consisted of an extensive range of both hot and cold buffet, well cooked and of good quality. Teas and coffees were served in the coffee lounge after Dinner, again good quality, which is more than I can say for some restaurants I have used recently!
The only downside which all of us picked up on was our quiet "after dinner chat " in the coffee lounge was spoiled by several screaming kids running in and out ( at 10PM ) which resulted in us retreating to our rooms to continue our conversation. However, I do not blame the Hotel for that, It was totally due to poor parenting on the part of the Mums & Dads. On reflection, we could have avoided this by not booking during 1/2 term holiday.

Room Tip: as the hotel is in an elevated position, I think most rooms would have a pretty good view, second fl...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Thank you for your very generous review. We're sorry if some of the children were a bit wild. The Hydro is very popular with families and October is a busy month. Our reservations staff will be happy to suggest the best times for families, or the best times for those who prefer a quiet break. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and i stayed at this hotel on the nights of 19th and 20th august 2011 as we had received a gift voucher for a two night stay from relatives. The floor our room was on looked as if it was in the process of being decorated - smell of paint, bare walls with empty nails where there must have been pictures previously, emergency exit signs propped against the wall. Understand hotels have to do maintenance but some warning at check in would have been nice. Our room was very tired, dusty, ring marks on the hotel leaflets, sticky residue on the milk portions, mouldy net curtain in the bathroom, spillage marks on the bathroom windowsill...

The food was well cooked and presented but tasted bland. A dead wasp on the windowsill by our table for the whole weekend was rather off putting.

Beyond the main reception areas, the hotel is very tired and showing signs of neglect. The bar area, which has been recently updated from its appearance again suffered from lack of attention to detail, the glass topped tables were smeared even as soon as the bar opened in the evening.

The staff were very good and friendly despite being obviously understaffed at times.

Our main gripe is the cost. It turns out that the two night DB&B gift voucher we had been gifted had cost £440 (we found out because the bill the hotel presented us with showed that as the rate!). I wouldn't have been happy if I'd been charged only half of that for the room we had. When we booked we were told the room was a better one - can only assume they meant because it was front facing.

Won't be back to this or any other McMillan hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GJGraham
This couple were disappointed by the cost of a gift voucher given to them. Our very popular Gift Vouchers are available for one and two night stays, or for specific monetary values, or for specific packages, such as 'Pamper Days' or 'Swim Lunches'. The usual reason for a customer to buy a voucher for a one or a two night stay is to give as a gift. The price is not displayed on the voucher so that the recipients don’t know how much the gift has cost. On this occasion, our receptionist, in error, printed a bill disclosing the amount paid to these guests, and for this we must sincerely apologise. Unrestricted Gift vouchers for one and two night stays are sold at full tariff rate because, apart from Christmas and New Year, there are no exclusion dates - they can be used at any time. As you would imagine, they are most commonly used, as this one was, at weekends and/or in high season, when lower rates are not available. With regard to the hotel itself, we have now completed the redecoration of most of our guest rooms and our main reception and public areas – they are looking wonderful, and the next stage has been to redecorate many of our principal corridors, one section at a time. We are sorry that this process caused upset to these guests. We try to keep any disturbance to a minimum and we do have signage in place apologising for any inconvenience. We would have been happy to have moved them to another area of the hotel had we known they were upset. The couple stayed in Room 209 which is a newly decorated front facing room –not a large room, but with fantastic views from windows on two sides. It has a brand new carpet, a new flat screen TV, new leather club chairs and new white bed linen. The dark wood furniture is perhaps a bit old fashioned in style, but it is all in good condition. On inspection of the room this morning there were no evident housekeeping deficiencies. We do apologise for any that may have been present in the hotel over the dates of the stay back in August, but the problems weren't reported to us at the time of the stay. We are sorry they were disappointed and wish we could have done more to improve their stay for them at the time.

Travelers are raving about these Peebles hotels

Dundee, Scotland
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Having had a very enjoyable stay here in April with our 6yr old daughter and 2 grannies, we decided it would be a good break for the October School holidays so booked 3 nights. I booked by phone and was guided by a very helpful receptionist who gave me choices of a standard room with additional bed or family room with lots of space and not good view - so we were well informed of the pros and cons before we came. This time only the 3 of us came(no grans) which cut the expense of 3 rooms to 1. Also last time we paid for front rooms overlooking the garden, which were very nice and convenient for everything- this time we took a family room (436) which was at the back of the hotel looking into trees and overgrowth (and quite a trail with cases up and down stairs). Having said that - we had a very large room with superking size bed, large bathroom and an adjoining room with bunkbeds - lots of space, so great for the three of us - and would have comfortably taken another child. Unlike the previous reviewer of the same room, we were fortunate to have lots of lovely soft towels, bath robes in the wardrobe and a well supplied tea/coffee table. Only problem with the big rooms were the small radiators underneath the windows - it was very cold and windy when we were there and so the heaters struggled to keep the rooms warm - more noticeable when we were just lying reading but we didn't have much time for that anyway. Chose this hotel again as our daughter loves the kids club and we also enjoy our evening meal in peace in the restaurant so it suited us very well. Kids tea at 5pm downstairs was also good, they catered for children under 12 including baby food etc.We sat with our child of course but I suppose older kids would come themselves. Some parents chose to pay £14 for their older kids to eat with them later in the restaurant, some had wee ones in prams or buggies beside the table in the main dining-room so I assume they had eaten earlier and were just with their parents rather than at the kids club. Kids club is great and as well as the playroom in the mornings, they have hostesses in the pool 3-4pm and then evening activities 7 -10pm. Absolutely perfect for our 6yr old. Check out the activities for different age groups on their website if you can. Yes the hotel is looking a bit tired - it's a very old hotel and very large. They were painting some corridors while we were there. The staff we came across were ALL very helpful regardless of being under strain as it was extrememely busy with school holidays. They even extended the breakfast time to cope with the amount of diners. We did notice some grumpy guests on departure and it's unfortunate if you have a bad experience which then colours your view of the place. We found it suited our needs again and look forward to another similar visit while our child is around this age.

Room Tip: Speak to reception and ask their advice regarding view or size - and location, especially as some ro...
1 Thank SinginSuzy
Scotland
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed here on Monday 17th October with my elderly mum and eldest daughter ( 22 ) for a one night spa break. The bedroom was comfortable, clean and had a large bathroom. Fruit, chocolates and champagne were waiting for us!
Lunch was good, but the evening dinner was superb! the food and service were excellent.
The spa treatments were very relaxing and the swimming pool good fun!
Some of the comments here are not fair, the hotel is a large old grand house, this adds to the character, if you want a modern, impersonal travel lodge then don't stay here, however if you want good old fashioned service, then do!! We will be back next year.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Room 436 for 3 nights.
A complete mixture of the horrendously grumpy and unapproachable receptionists to the lovely receptionist and incredibly welcoming hostesses and chefs etc. Greeted by such a miserable person is just awful - please deal with unhappy staff - it ruins it for everyone especially when they are reception (and look to be senior). Even the one i called to make our booking with me was dreadful.

I hate to write a bad review but find myself finding it hard to say much good, our room was just as basic as basic could be, no towels on arrival (we had to ask) no hotel info (had to ask for one) there were cobwebs on the windows on the stair on the way to the room. It really didnt bode well on our arrival, infact after the greeting etc, i nearly left again.

That said i hung in there as kids wanted to swim etc, i went for a wander as i didnt have any info to know what there was or where and was met by a couple of very nice people which defused the mood slightly. (although i went into beautician to check availability who was as bad as receptionist!)

My main point however is that i just cannot comprehend how in a hotel of that level which promotes itself as a family hotel, there is no casual restaurant for you to dine with your children??? I completely understand the 'put you off charge for children to dine in the main dining room but surely you then open the childrens restaurant which is greet, as you do at lunchtime as an alternative family dining room???

I find it totally unacceptable to come away and be expected to eat separately from my children, i have a family and go on family holidays because i want to spend time with them. Under your rules, i would have to sit with the children while trhey eat downstairs then put them into the playroom whilst my husband and i eat upstairs.... 1 my 3 year old has never been looked after by a stranger nor i can imagine would settle in a strange place at that time when she would normally be going to sleep. If my daughter were under 3 we are actually unable to leave her with your hostesses so your rules basically say that there is nowhere to eat dinner unless we pay an extra £14 to take her into the diding room where the food is inappropriate anyway?????? I just cannot fathem what on earth thats all about, i have never experienced anything like it nor intend to again. Surely you have a pleasant dining room downstairs which could and should be open in the evenings for families to dine together? I just cant imagine how you can expect people on holiday not to dine with their family.

The rest of the children and family offerings is so good - its so valueless in the midst of all the above.

Again im sorry to write this but families need to know of this bizarre set up - 2 lots of children and families walked out of Rozels whilst i was in there because they couldnt dine together and the kids didnt want to be left ..... just crazy.

Id like to point out that there are areas like hallways etc where new carpets are down and the breakfast room where you can see things have been refreshed or arent so tired and id like to acknowledge that but in the same overall its beyond tired.

Room Tip: Can only speak of my own, cobwebs and even autumn tree leaves were laying on the inside of my window...
3 Thank Mrs S
Falkirk
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I booked into Peebles hydro on 30 September 2011 for one night to finish off our two week holiday before returning to work. We had read great reviews on trip advisor so were looking forrward to staying there. I contacted the hotel as I had checked the prices etc and decided a superior room with dinner and breakfast included for £250.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted warmly at reception and were given information we required for our stay, however when we went into our room the temperature was stifling so we immendiately opened the one window available to open in our room. The room itself was lovely so we then unpacked our things for our stay. We had booked dinner for 7.30pm which wasnt very enjoyable. The waiting staff couldnt have been nicer but the standard of food was not good at all. I had ordered a fillet steak, medium to well done but it was like eating shoe leather. I had to also pay a £8.95 supplement for this which I didnt feel was necessary. The vegetables were burnt and what was supposed to be daphinoise potato which is my favourite was more like eating a pile of boiled onions! I did let the waiting staff know that I wasnt happy with my steak and they did offer to give a another one but I had been put off and decided against it. My husband's lamb was very tough also so this was again a dissapointment. Before we returned to our room we approached reception to let them know about the temperature in our room but was told that they didnt have air conditioning so there was nothing they could do. Just at that moment however one of the dining room staff who was standing at reception suggested that they could provide a fan. This was delivered to our room within tenm minuted which was great. When we did return to our room even having the fan they had provided the room was still very hot and very uncomfortable to sleep in during the night.
I dont feel that the £250 we paid and adding on the supplement for the steak I had at dinner was worth the money. We came away from the hotel feeling quite disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonFalkirk
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
We were sorry that this couple were disappointed by their main courses, but happy to hear that our staff did offer replacements as they are trained to do. We thank them for their kind comments about their lovely room and our nice staff . The rate of £125.00 per person per night is a full tariff rate for a superior room - the best rate we could offer for a single night stay on a very busy Saturday in a busy month. Lower rates and Special Offer rates are normally made available to encourage guests to come midweek or when the hotel is not so busy, or to stay for more than one night. Our reservations staff are always happy to discuss the best dates for the best available deals.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I have to say that having recently visited (30th Sept) that it was a mixed bag of an experience. The hotel is indeed dilapidated in many areas. I can cope with a bit of Victorian scruffiness but this was more like 1970's scruffiness so not as stylish!! Family room was a real disappointment, good size but dated and carpet was a bit soiled, small details like prison style metal bins didn't add to the ambience either. Really missed not havin a fridge in the room (especially with a baby and it was annoying to have to request the use of an iron) Maybe they don't provide it anymore, but we certainly were not greeted with chocolates or fruit in the room. On arrival, the lift was out of order and no attempt was made to help with our luggage (we were on the second floor) The lift was out of action for a few hours but was then fixed. Had to laugh at previous descriptions of the hotel as "Castle Greyskull" and the similarity of the hotel in "The Shining" I made that very remark as we made our way to our room down the dingy corridors. Dining experience again was mixed,on the whole the evening meals were good (we stayed two nights) but if anything the service was too efficient and the staff lacked warmth somewhat. As previously mentioned, the piano playing by "Herman Munster" lol was not to our taste (we are in our thirties) and also as previously mentioned, there are an abundance of OAP's at the hotel. I am aware that out daughter (age 6) could have eaten with us but as the charge was an additional £14 she went to the kids club after having her dinner seperately earlier in the day (this felt odd as we always eat together, that said her meal choices were good) Daughter loved the kids club and I found the staff to be very professional and friendly. Pool I felt was not very luxurious and as someone mentioned, it wasn't dissimilar to a council pool (good size mind you and the lady in charge was extremely helpful) Baby pool was more of a puddle which was not good, the water would have been up to my ankles so our baby went into the main pool which was probably a bit cold for him. Outdoor space is good and the kids playpark is lovely. We did not book through any offer and paid full price, something which my hubby is still smarting about (within an hour of returning home he went to work to try and recoup some of his lost money) So much for relaxing!!! Doubt we will go back and will do what many others do and go to Crieff Hydro which appears to offer both modern/stylish accomodation and good activities for children or stick to The Auchrannie in Arran which is also 4* and feel that in comparison, it is much better value for money

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Some of our reviewers comment that parts of the Hydro are 'a bit dated'. Some choose to express this view rather more harshly! We agree with the sentiment in general, and, as previous responses indicate, we have been working very hard to remedy this. We have now redecorated almost all of the bedrooms, the main public areas and the massive third floor corridor. The ballroom, and the second floor corridor are next on the agenda. Porter service is always available on request and we are happy to provide fridges and irons etc on request and chocolates and fruit are complimentary in our best rooms and suites. We are glad these guests enjoyed their meals and would only add that our staff are always very happy to alter the pace of service as requested. Peebles Hydro really is a hotel for all ages - but outwith school holiday periods there may be fewer younger guests around. Our pianist is a lovely old gentleman who plays only at weekends and whose playing is much enjoyed by many of our guests, not just the older ones. We are sorry these guests were not fans. We thank them for the great comments about the Kids Club. Our huge swimming pool is pictured on our web site and is very popular with guests and members - it isn't really meant to be a luxury spa, but its a great asset to a big family friendly hotel like the Hydro. Like the couple above, these guests weren't able to access one of our great special offers because they stayed over a busy weekend in a busy month. Our reservations staff would have been happy to advise them of the best dates for the best available deals.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#4 of 8 in Peebles
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!