“2nd stay this year.”
Review of Peebles Hydro

Peebles Hydro
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Having had a very enjoyable stay here in April with our 6yr old daughter and 2 grannies, we decided it would be a good break for the October School holidays so booked 3 nights. I booked by phone and was guided by a very helpful receptionist who gave me choices of a standard room with additional bed or family room with lots of space and not good view - so we were well informed of the pros and cons before we came. This time only the 3 of us came(no grans) which cut the expense of 3 rooms to 1. Also last time we paid for front rooms overlooking the garden, which were very nice and convenient for everything- this time we took a family room (436) which was at the back of the hotel looking into trees and overgrowth (and quite a trail with cases up and down stairs). Having said that - we had a very large room with superking size bed, large bathroom and an adjoining room with bunkbeds - lots of space, so great for the three of us - and would have comfortably taken another child. Unlike the previous reviewer of the same room, we were fortunate to have lots of lovely soft towels, bath robes in the wardrobe and a well supplied tea/coffee table. Only problem with the big rooms were the small radiators underneath the windows - it was very cold and windy when we were there and so the heaters struggled to keep the rooms warm - more noticeable when we were just lying reading but we didn't have much time for that anyway. Chose this hotel again as our daughter loves the kids club and we also enjoy our evening meal in peace in the restaurant so it suited us very well. Kids tea at 5pm downstairs was also good, they catered for children under 12 including baby food etc.We sat with our child of course but I suppose older kids would come themselves. Some parents chose to pay £14 for their older kids to eat with them later in the restaurant, some had wee ones in prams or buggies beside the table in the main dining-room so I assume they had eaten earlier and were just with their parents rather than at the kids club. Kids club is great and as well as the playroom in the mornings, they have hostesses in the pool 3-4pm and then evening activities 7 -10pm. Absolutely perfect for our 6yr old. Check out the activities for different age groups on their website if you can. Yes the hotel is looking a bit tired - it's a very old hotel and very large. They were painting some corridors while we were there. The staff we came across were ALL very helpful regardless of being under strain as it was extrememely busy with school holidays. They even extended the breakfast time to cope with the amount of diners. We did notice some grumpy guests on departure and it's unfortunate if you have a bad experience which then colours your view of the place. We found it suited our needs again and look forward to another similar visit while our child is around this age.

Room Tip: Speak to reception and ask their advice regarding view or size - and location, especially as some ro...
1  Thank SinginSuzy

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed here on Monday 17th October with my elderly mum and eldest daughter ( 22 ) for a one night spa break. The bedroom was comfortable, clean and had a large bathroom. Fruit, chocolates and champagne were waiting for us!
Lunch was good, but the evening dinner was superb! the food and service were excellent.
The spa treatments were very relaxing and the swimming pool good fun!
Some of the comments here are not fair, the hotel is a large old grand house, this adds to the character, if you want a modern, impersonal travel lodge then don't stay here, however if you want good old fashioned service, then do!! We will be back next year.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Room 436 for 3 nights.
A complete mixture of the horrendously grumpy and unapproachable receptionists to the lovely receptionist and incredibly welcoming hostesses and chefs etc. Greeted by such a miserable person is just awful - please deal with unhappy staff - it ruins it for everyone especially when they are reception (and look to be senior). Even the one i called to make our booking with me was dreadful.

I hate to write a bad review but find myself finding it hard to say much good, our room was just as basic as basic could be, no towels on arrival (we had to ask) no hotel info (had to ask for one) there were cobwebs on the windows on the stair on the way to the room. It really didnt bode well on our arrival, infact after the greeting etc, i nearly left again.

That said i hung in there as kids wanted to swim etc, i went for a wander as i didnt have any info to know what there was or where and was met by a couple of very nice people which defused the mood slightly. (although i went into beautician to check availability who was as bad as receptionist!)

My main point however is that i just cannot comprehend how in a hotel of that level which promotes itself as a family hotel, there is no casual restaurant for you to dine with your children??? I completely understand the 'put you off charge for children to dine in the main dining room but surely you then open the childrens restaurant which is greet, as you do at lunchtime as an alternative family dining room???

I find it totally unacceptable to come away and be expected to eat separately from my children, i have a family and go on family holidays because i want to spend time with them. Under your rules, i would have to sit with the children while trhey eat downstairs then put them into the playroom whilst my husband and i eat upstairs.... 1 my 3 year old has never been looked after by a stranger nor i can imagine would settle in a strange place at that time when she would normally be going to sleep. If my daughter were under 3 we are actually unable to leave her with your hostesses so your rules basically say that there is nowhere to eat dinner unless we pay an extra £14 to take her into the diding room where the food is inappropriate anyway?????? I just cannot fathem what on earth thats all about, i have never experienced anything like it nor intend to again. Surely you have a pleasant dining room downstairs which could and should be open in the evenings for families to dine together? I just cant imagine how you can expect people on holiday not to dine with their family.

The rest of the children and family offerings is so good - its so valueless in the midst of all the above.

Again im sorry to write this but families need to know of this bizarre set up - 2 lots of children and families walked out of Rozels whilst i was in there because they couldnt dine together and the kids didnt want to be left ..... just crazy.

Id like to point out that there are areas like hallways etc where new carpets are down and the breakfast room where you can see things have been refreshed or arent so tired and id like to acknowledge that but in the same overall its beyond tired.

Room Tip: Can only speak of my own, cobwebs and even autumn tree leaves were laying on the inside of my window...
3  Thank Mrs S
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I booked into Peebles hydro on 30 September 2011 for one night to finish off our two week holiday before returning to work. We had read great reviews on trip advisor so were looking forrward to staying there. I contacted the hotel as I had checked the prices etc and decided a superior room with dinner and breakfast included for £250.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted warmly at reception and were given information we required for our stay, however when we went into our room the temperature was stifling so we immendiately opened the one window available to open in our room. The room itself was lovely so we then unpacked our things for our stay. We had booked dinner for 7.30pm which wasnt very enjoyable. The waiting staff couldnt have been nicer but the standard of food was not good at all. I had ordered a fillet steak, medium to well done but it was like eating shoe leather. I had to also pay a £8.95 supplement for this which I didnt feel was necessary. The vegetables were burnt and what was supposed to be daphinoise potato which is my favourite was more like eating a pile of boiled onions! I did let the waiting staff know that I wasnt happy with my steak and they did offer to give a another one but I had been put off and decided against it. My husband's lamb was very tough also so this was again a dissapointment. Before we returned to our room we approached reception to let them know about the temperature in our room but was told that they didnt have air conditioning so there was nothing they could do. Just at that moment however one of the dining room staff who was standing at reception suggested that they could provide a fan. This was delivered to our room within tenm minuted which was great. When we did return to our room even having the fan they had provided the room was still very hot and very uncomfortable to sleep in during the night.
I dont feel that the £250 we paid and adding on the supplement for the steak I had at dinner was worth the money. We came away from the hotel feeling quite disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonFalkirk
TheMcMillanFamily, Owner at Peebles Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

We were sorry that this couple were disappointed by their main courses, but happy to hear that our staff did offer replacements as they are trained to do. We thank them for their kind comments about their lovely room and our nice staff . The rate of £125.00 per person per night is a full tariff rate for a superior room - the best rate we could offer for a single night stay on a very busy Saturday in a busy month. Lower rates and Special Offer rates are normally made available to encourage guests to come midweek or when the hotel is not so busy, or to stay for more than one night. Our reservations staff are always happy to discuss the best dates for the best available deals.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I have to say that having recently visited (30th Sept) that it was a mixed bag of an experience. The hotel is indeed dilapidated in many areas. I can cope with a bit of Victorian scruffiness but this was more like 1970's scruffiness so not as stylish!! Family room was a real disappointment, good size but dated and carpet was a bit soiled, small details like prison style metal bins didn't add to the ambience either. Really missed not havin a fridge in the room (especially with a baby and it was annoying to have to request the use of an iron) Maybe they don't provide it anymore, but we certainly were not greeted with chocolates or fruit in the room. On arrival, the lift was out of order and no attempt was made to help with our luggage (we were on the second floor) The lift was out of action for a few hours but was then fixed. Had to laugh at previous descriptions of the hotel as "Castle Greyskull" and the similarity of the hotel in "The Shining" I made that very remark as we made our way to our room down the dingy corridors. Dining experience again was mixed,on the whole the evening meals were good (we stayed two nights) but if anything the service was too efficient and the staff lacked warmth somewhat. As previously mentioned, the piano playing by "Herman Munster" lol was not to our taste (we are in our thirties) and also as previously mentioned, there are an abundance of OAP's at the hotel. I am aware that out daughter (age 6) could have eaten with us but as the charge was an additional £14 she went to the kids club after having her dinner seperately earlier in the day (this felt odd as we always eat together, that said her meal choices were good) Daughter loved the kids club and I found the staff to be very professional and friendly. Pool I felt was not very luxurious and as someone mentioned, it wasn't dissimilar to a council pool (good size mind you and the lady in charge was extremely helpful) Baby pool was more of a puddle which was not good, the water would have been up to my ankles so our baby went into the main pool which was probably a bit cold for him. Outdoor space is good and the kids playpark is lovely. We did not book through any offer and paid full price, something which my hubby is still smarting about (within an hour of returning home he went to work to try and recoup some of his lost money) So much for relaxing!!! Doubt we will go back and will do what many others do and go to Crieff Hydro which appears to offer both modern/stylish accomodation and good activities for children or stick to The Auchrannie in Arran which is also 4* and feel that in comparison, it is much better value for money

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Some of our reviewers comment that parts of the Hydro are 'a bit dated'. Some choose to express this view rather more harshly! We agree with the sentiment in general, and, as previous responses indicate, we have been working very hard to remedy this. We have now redecorated almost all of the bedrooms, the main public areas and the massive third floor corridor. The ballroom, and the second floor corridor are next on the agenda. Porter service is always available on request and we are happy to provide fridges and irons etc on request and chocolates and fruit are complimentary in our best rooms and suites. We are glad these guests enjoyed their meals and would only add that our staff are always very happy to alter the pace of service as requested. Peebles Hydro really is a hotel for all ages - but outwith school holiday periods there may be fewer younger guests around. Our pianist is a lovely old gentleman who plays only at weekends and whose playing is much enjoyed by many of our guests, not just the older ones. We are sorry these guests were not fans. We thank them for the great comments about the Kids Club. Our huge swimming pool is pictured on our web site and is very popular with guests and members - it isn't really meant to be a luxury spa, but its a great asset to a big family friendly hotel like the Hydro. Like the couple above, these guests weren't able to access one of our great special offers because they stayed over a busy weekend in a busy month. Our reservations staff would have been happy to advise them of the best dates for the best available deals.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Disappointing. Sorry, but we won't be back. The room we had was very basic, and the bathroom needed to be ripped out and started again. You couldn't complain about the food in the dining room as it was cooked well enough, but it was a bit boring and old fashioned. While the dining room staff are very nice and work hard, it is a bit off-putting when you are trying to have a nice quiet meal and they are stripping tables all around you and setting up for breakfast. Also, if you want to use the Health and Beauty room you need to book well in advance. We could not get a booking at all during the time we stayed. All in all, not what we were expecting.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gm_grant

As per our previous review, these guests didn't enjoy their room or bathroom. We have now re-decorated nearly all of our bedrooms and many of the public areas. We have some very modern and stylish bathrooms but mostly they are tiled from floor to ceiling and have white suites. The tiles and suites are not quite today's fashion and not quite 'retro' yet! There are photos on Trip Advisor. In a huge dining room such as the Hydro's, at a certain point, we do have to start to partially re-set tables for breakfast otherwise the staff would be there all night, but we try to avoid the tables nearest to any late dining guests. We are sorry this disturbed these guests. Our Beauty Salon is extremely popular and busy, and of course, we advise all guests to book appointments in advance - as do most good beauty salons.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

We booked this hotel on a special midweek deal as our daughter is not yet at school.

After reading some of the earlier reviews we were a little apprehensive. We arrived on a wet Sunday afternoon, and our initial impressions were that we were slightly disappointed. However, after sampling the food and having a great night's sleep (with our daughter loving her adjoining bunk-room), we began to warm to the hotel. By the end of the second day, after our daughter had been to the Kid's Club, and we had eaten a superb, relaxed dinner, we all loved the place.

Yes, there might be a few parts of the hotel that still need renovating, but everything is very clean (we found the housekeeping to be exemplary) and it is clear that re-decoration is ongoing. The swimming pool was lovely and immaculately clean.

Overall, we could not think of a better place to stay with children and the price we paid was less than we would have paid to stay on a self-catering basis at somewhere like Center Parcs.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lancastrians

Thank you! We hope all visitors to Trip Advisor read your review of Peebles Hydro. You 'got' what Hydro offers and really enjoyed it (and you got one of our great midweek deals too). The Hydro isn't generally a chic, modern and stylish hotel, although we do have some very chic stylish and modern rooms and we are constantly working to refurbish and redecorate. We feel we offer something a bit different to all that, and at very reasonable prices. We are very proud of the warm welcome, good food, and friendly service our great staff provide and we try very hard to make sure all of our guests have a wonderful time. We are really glad you enjoyed the Hydro and look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Peebles Hydro? Share your experiences!